diy solar

diy solar

First time plugged in to shore power, batteries charging correctly?

DouglasPaul

I've been off grid since I bought my batteries (3 100 ah LiFepo4) and cc (Victron Smart 50/100 mppt). We just came back up to Washington from Arizona and I plugged into shore power for the first time last night, everything seems to be ok. When I bought the rv it had a solar system with a couple 100 watt panels on the roof, a Morningstar 45 cc and a couple lead acid golf cart batteries. We used shore power a lot back then but when we went down to AZ we went off grid so I upgraded and haven't plugged in since. I simply unhooked the Morningstar and hooked up the Victron.

When I got up this morning the cc and smart battery sense were both reading 14.2 and staying there, I unplugged because I'm not sure keeping that level for any length of time is good for the batteries. Is this normal? Please understand that while I've tried to read up on this stuff I'm still very much a novice. After being unplugged for a couple hours and running the furnace off and on and and a light and the fridge circuit board etc. the smart battery sense is reading 13.27 without the furnace running so not full.

I guess my question is will the Victron cc stop shore power from feeding into the batteries when they're full or will I have to trust the built in bms to shut them down to keep damage from occurring?

guess my question is will the Victron cc stop shore power from feeding into the batteries when they're full or will I have to trust the built in bms to shut them down to keep damage from occurring
The victron should be programmed for the LiFePo batteries and should protect them if configured properly. Does that Victron have a utility charger(multiplus)? Or is that only a charger?
If it is a SCC only it will not control shorepower charging from an onboard converter.

The question in that case that I have is, “is the oem converter feeding charging voltage to the batteries, too?”
The oem converter should be disabled. Or otherwise not connected to your batteries. You need to assure a LiFePo compatible charger is all the batteries see.

The victron should be programmed for the LiFePo batteries and should protect them if configured properly. Does that Victron have a utility charger(multiplus)? Or is that only a charger?
If it is a SCC only it will not control shorepower charging from an onboard converter.

The question in that case that I have is, “is the oem converter feeding charging voltage to the batteries, too?”
The oem converter should be disabled. Or otherwise not connected to your batteries. You need to assure a LiFePo compatible charger is all the batteries see.
Thanks, it's a SCC only. I'm thinking now I was reading the numbers wrong. Shore power doesn't seem to be charging the batteries, or if it is it's very slowly. The Morningstar charged from both. But this will work, the limited sun I'm getting here will charge the batteries because I'm also plugged in and not drawing much if any from them.

Back