diy solar

diy solar

Float charge for LiFePo

MrNatural22

?SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
I’m trying to learn ALL useful parameter settings that could be best for LiFePo use and longevity of the expensive battery.
I reading on some of the posts the float charge isn’t really needed for LiFePo batteries so on the MPPTs MT50 meter control parameter settings can it be set down to 0 volts thereby providing no float after topping off the battery with no problems? Or is it better to just set it at 13.4v to float? I’ve started with the recommended settings Will’s video provided but would like to learn if theres some fine tuning one can learn in general for even better performance.
Pic is current setting but can be changed. image.jpg

I'm using a victron smart solar 150/30 mppt and just using the built in LifePo4 settings. Here's what the parameters get set to with that. Note that I'm using 24 volt, so for 12 just divide by 2.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 12.16.22 PM.jpg

I’m also using the recommended settings on my EPever MPPT CC also but I’ve read that LiFePo batteries really don’t require a float charge because they don’t lose charge from sitting unused for a long time like lead acid or other similar type batteries. And I’m trying to educate myself on different charge parameters. Such as, would it be fine to set the float to 0v effectively no longer providing a float if not need anyway.

I really wish there was more information available with the epever and setting the parameters for lifepo4. I’m struggling with mine as well. Can’t disable the float or equalization charge. I think it was the float I can set a time limit for and just made that 0 but the equalization I have to set. Surely there are dozens who use this charge controller with lifepo4 that can help out!

I think you have that mixed up. Setting the equalization time to zero basically disables it. I set my float to 13.4v like in my earlier post which is OK. ?

A lifepo4 float voltage of less than or equal to 13.8 volts is fine and allows the charger to share the load with the battery.

gotcha. Could you look over this and input any suggestions if you have any? Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 37
that’s kind of helpful but it only offers absorption and float numbers. the epever doesn’t have an absorption perimeter to change.

I really just wanted someone to overlook all of the perimeters I set to see if it looked ok. You can zoom in on the photo to make it larger.

The Epevers call it Boost I think.
I had bought the epever because Will recommended it in a video and then switched to only promoting Victron....I wish there was more standardizing in this field, it’s very frustrating. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to wire balance plugs because different meters have the pos/neg reversed. The BMS has a special plug, other meters use JST and now different companies using multiple names for the same charge setting, ugh! Frustrating! This is my project I’m working on BTWimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

@ghostwriter66 knows the epever stuff.

The only issue that I have with EPEVER or EPSOLAR is that you can not put them in series .. thats just absolutely asinine in this day and age ... I have talked to them several times about this and they just don't see it as a marketable thing ... they think that ppl will by a 10A and then upgrade to a 40A by spending $150 more ... then a 80A by spending $300 ,ore .. and back in the day it may have been this way -- but I would rather get a "cheaper" SCC that can grow with me then one that I have to keep shelling out money on to upgrade ..

BUT with that said -- Yeah my go to SCC's are EPSOLAR and EPEVER .... solid - easy to use - well built -- rarely releases the factory smoke even when i do dumb things ...

I didn’t know you can’t series them. That’s good to know for future projects. I really wish I would have not been a cheapskate and just bought the Victron but I do like the software that epever uses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought You could run two independent systems (solar panels and controller) to charge the same battery (providing the charge settings are the same).

Back