diy solar

diy solar

Fooling the mppt to charge the batteries to full when using a UV water treatment lamp?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3614
  • Start date
The shading is partly on two cells but at tye bottom in both corners. I can fix most of the shading and reduce it to about 2 inches both sides which is about 8 to 9 taking up parts of 2 cells.20200206_132306.jpg20200206_132332.jpg

I guess that would be me!
Its odder to get up earlier i think, well i feel like a zombie most days hhahah.

ohh what a rare day, none stop sunshine from start to finish, batteries were charge by mid day then sat at 14.7 for the rest of the day at a reduced amp of 6-7. last night the batteries went down to 12.2 so i do think these batteries charge fast.

The shading is partly on two cells but at tye bottom in both corners
There are loads of YouTube videos out there about the impact of shading on PV panels. Suggest you take a look. In short, any shading (e.g. half of one cell) will have an un-intuitively negative impact on panel output. You do have bypass diodes but these just prevent the whole panel output collapsing i.e. one string of cells would be bypassed.

Try it yourself, cut out some black material the size of a single cell, then cover one up. Watch the panel's power output drop substantially (note: power output, not necessarily voltage - you need to be measuring voltage and current).

There are loads of YouTube videos out there about the impact of shading on PV panels. Suggest you take a look. In short, any shading (e.g. half of one cell) will have an un-intuitively negative impact on panel output. You do have bypass diodes but these just prevent the whole panel output collapsing i.e. one string of cells would be bypassed.

Try it yourself, cut out some black material the size of a single cell, then cover one up. Watch the panel's power output drop substantially (note: power output, not necessarily voltage - you need to be measuring voltage and current).
Yep I've done all that, its basically cut as much shade out as possible, I've roughly worked out that a gain of about 2-3 amps according to covering up parts of the other cells.

there's a tradeoff with the tilting system but at 14 amps is miles better than 1.5 amps flat on the roof.

the next tilting brackets are being made at the moment with a minimal shade issue.

Are you ready for storm Ciara? Been sunny all day so far in Lancashire.

as normal with the uk our country should fall to bits, there be the wrong kind of wind on the line lol. i,m a storm chaser so bring it on, move the extream power of nature.

Just lowered the panels otherwise they may turn into a kite lol.

TBh for us in the Fens cambs, we get hardly any weather conditions. the rain is in Irland and the winds are behind it., i live full time in the motorhome and in the wind its like being on the sea. its so funny.

I thought you said it was going to be windy? as normal the fens is getting not that much, 0% rainfall. Everyone should move here as nothing ever happens lol.

This is funny, ships sheltering out at sea near Croma North Norfolk, that part of the coast has cliffs so that's where they were heading. Marine traffic

My ship, I mean motorhome feels just like a boat out at sea in this wind, its like walking out onto the solid ground, seasick inland haha

It's getting a bit gusty here. I was considering pulling the steadies up to get that real 'life at sea' feeling ;)

It's getting a bit gusty here. I was considering pulling the steadies up to get that real 'life at sea' feeling ;)
Thinking about running an insure sailing club without water. the sails can be the two panels. we got banned of heavy rain coming soon, it should liven up to about 80. or just a breeze compared to tornado alley. But to us Brits, this is armageddon weather, panic buying, riots and general mayhem pahaha.

I hope no leaves land on any railway tracks, that really will be it. those in the USA with their weak cat 5 hurricanes, with have leaves on the lines.:eek:

Wait a second, I thought it was only a thing with our main train company (in France), seems like we're not alone :p
Ohh yes, the uk will go into meltdown if it snows for three seconds, one storm will crimple everything, a puddle is deemed a flood, the railways are a joke, prices rased every few months only for people to stand in the bogs.

I live in useless Britain and thats without going into LPG, parking and private places for greed. it feels like a bloody prison sometimes. a simple thing like water for the motorhome can be a 50 mile drive. LPG gas 40 -50 miles.

Same here, 1 cm of melted snow and nobody know how to drive anymore :ROFLMAO:

And in more than 10 years of using rail transports I think i didn't saw a week without at least one problem and 15+ min delay because of it... leaves on the tracks, people on the tracks, signals problems (well, with 60 years old cables and incandescent lamps you can't expect much...), other train breakdown and blocking almost all the remaining trains, railroad switches failures, tree fallen on the tracks, ... it never ends.

And in more than 10 years of using rail transports I think i didn't saw a week without at least one problem and 15+ min delay because of it... leaves on the tracks, people on the tracks, signals problems (well, with 60 years old cables and incandescent lamps you can't expect much...), other train breakdown and blocking almost all the remaining trains, railroad switches failures, tree fallen on the tracks, ... it never ends.
ohh yeah the 3 snowflakes and everyone ends up in ditches.

I gave up with the UK years ago.

You in France did you say, i often watch summer storm going mental over France but when the cross the channel they turn into wimps grrr. mad storm chaser here lol.

I don't know what summer storm is but I don't watch TV so this might explain that.

I don't know what summer storm is but I don't watch TV so this might explain that.
No i watch the weather on two apps, this one for lightning there's been some storms about today and one over Holland at the mo.

I'm fascinated by the beauty and power of the weather, been chasing storms for many years and just enjoy the shows and hope to get some photos.

You forgot to add labor strikes to your list! :(

You forgot to add labor strikes to your list! :(
the UK dare not strike most of the time. a few may walk out, WW2 our country had a backbone but since then evolution has turned most into invertebrates lol and slaves tot their phones.

But BiduleOhm is in France where going on strike is the national past-time.
;)

But BiduleOhm is in France where going on strike is the national past-time.
;)
I so wish it was like it here, there be many rule changes then. we are almost controlled by local councils, postcode lottery health care, funding for but not another.

Yellow vest movement in France I think, here it would be the beer belly movement lmao.

Back