diy solar

diy solar

Free AC from the sun!

Electrobob

I live in AZ so no talk of off grid or prepping can be complete without addressing the problem of air conditioning, which, unfortunately, is a power hungry topic. With a whole home system or large backyard array this isn’t much of an issue, but that isn’t what I have. I was only able to afford a portable system I built myself, powered by 4 100 amp hour 12 v batteries And 4 panels of 250 watts each.

I bought a small window ac from HD and am testing it here in the photo to see how my system would handle it (obviously not a final installation). The panels are powering the AC almost entirely, with just a little needing to come from battery. I will work with the fan settings and eco mode to see if I can level that out some.

I am really enjoying my solar hobby. I am next wanting to build a battery and plan to do so using the Headway batteries you can get used on Battery Hookup. I will make a briefcase type battery for on the go.

shine on! :)

Attachments

• 73B76531-9920-4916-9928-F60203FEF39F.jpeg
    73B76531-9920-4916-9928-F60203FEF39F.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 64
  • ED8FB927-AA48-44A6-A0DC-62A4F7BE4CC7.jpeg
    ED8FB927-AA48-44A6-A0DC-62A4F7BE4CC7.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 62
I like that wagon! Can you please tell me where you get it from?
What is the proper English word for that wagon so I can search for it using proper word (English is my second language)? Thanks!

I like that wagon! Can you please tell me where you get it from?
What is the proper English word for that wagon so I can search for it using proper word (English is my second language)? Thanks!

Search for "steel utility cart" on Amazon.

Nice build, I have similar set up to keep the room cooler

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 31
The reactance power say 200 watts or there about you are having to make from the batt/inverter combo where this task is usually provided from a capicator bank on the grid. One thing is to emulate or create a solution to make this reactance power yourself. This would go a long way in optimizing the application.
Headway cells may not be the right approch. They are for super high short term loads, Compatition Audio and RF applications. Not so great in a long term storage application.

Another approch is to haul Anchor and let the wind blow you north till the butter stops melting. This has worked well for the Indians.

Back