diy solar

diy solar

Freezer using more and more power when compressor runs - is it about to die?

Sverige

A Brit in Sweden
I have an Electrolux full height freezer which is pretty old now (bought 2002). Earlier in the summer when running it on my off grid inverter I was seeing a power draw of around 70-80W with the compressor running (after the initial startup surge had subsided), then a month or so ago I started to notice it was pulling over 110W when running. Now today I have seen via the inverter’s display that 180W is being pulled by this freezer when it’s running.

One thing which has definitely changed over the time period I’ve been making observations is the ambient temp in the kitchen. From around 26C in the summer, when 80W was being drawn to around 17C now (as I am putting off switching on the heating as long as I can bear the cool temps in this house!) Can that account for the increased power draw? If so, it’s not something I’ve ever been aware of that compressors pull more power in colder temps, but maybe that’s it?

Alternatively is it a sign my freezer is about to die? At 20 years of age I can’t begrudge it that, but it means I’d better get a new one ordered so my frozen food doesn’t spoil…. Opinions, observations, speculation, answers to an totally different question, all welcomed (y)?

Last edited:
The compressor probably has a motor run capacitor and it could be going bad.

The compressor probably has a motor run capacitor and it could be going bad.
Ok thanks - are they normally in an accessible position so I could check it, or are they typically internal to the compressor?

I wonder if the quality of the mains output from my inverter might have contributed to or caused such an issue, as this freezer has only recently been run on off grid power and if it’s now dying, maybe there’s a connection?

I have a home energy monitor that uses current transducers to monitor individual circuits. The software allows me to inspect the power usage of whatever I hook them to.

The energy draw on my kitchen fridge is all over the chart. Sometimes is pulls a steady 150 something watts, then nothing, then 35 watts, then 375 watts.

You kind of have to monitor it on a continuous basis to see if that's normal behavior. Hook up a kill-o-watt meter and chart it by the day.

Ok thanks - are they normally in an accessible position so I could check it, or are they typically internal to the compressor?

It's usually external to the compressor and is a typical service part, especially on central a/c systems where they sometimes last only a few years before needing replacement.

It's usually external to the compressor and is a typical service part, especially on central a/c systems where they sometimes last only a few years before needing replacement.
Ok thanks. I’ll get it out of its niche and give it a check with a capacitance meter (y)

Ok thanks. I’ll get it out of its niche and give it a check with a capacitance meter

Also worth checking the condenser coil and making sure it is not overly dirty. The compressor has to work harder as the condenser gets dirty and less efficient at heat transfer.

Back