diy solar

diy solar

Frustration in spades!

Red_Fir

Sooo...
I am blessed with a Outback Radian system and the inverter and panels work well, the FlexMax 60 works impeccably.
But, the plethora of options offered via the Mate3 is obnoxious, I really don't want to devote a lifetime to learning all those options, nor relearning them when an "update" offers some semi necessary feature. The drill down through screen after screen for options that are modified by other options on other screens that flat will not be available, if yet other options are enabled is exhausting!
To iterate what I am trying to do,...I have a very small system 1.8 KW of panels, and a 720 amp hrs of L16 batteries, the grid is connected as a feeder, but no feedback to them, I have no net metering, (as time and space allow I will add to the array), my system runs a 1 hp deep well, and a1/2 hp distribution pump feeding 3 houses, in addition there are 3, 17 cu ft freezers, and a welding rod heater connected all the time,...plus infrequent use of a 2 hp air compressor and misc lights and hand tools. I realize that this is an inadequate system but my only intent is to starve the power co of whatever I can, and my hope was this system would shift back and forth as load demands.
It works well, with strong sunlight and will carry the system for a couple of grey days ... but in either "mini grid" or "Grid Zero" setting it is as inconsistent and nonsensical as US energy policy!
It will shift back and forth for a few days and then lock into on grid use mode regardless of how charged the battery is, or or work fine for weeks and then fail to switch to grid and fault out on a "Low Battery Warning" , on occasion it will reset itself to "mini grid" when I have set it to "Grid Zero" (multiple occasions with no notification ... or logic that I can figure out)!
It is not connected to any network for remote control.
After a couple of years of constantly messing and testing every option and combination of options I can imagine, I'm wore out. This software is designed with obfuscation as a primary requirement.
Soo, I am willing to replace whatever is necessary minus the battery bank or panels, to my old mind the FlexMax mppt is working well enough, the inverter proper seems to be OK and is expandable so I'm not tickled about changing it unless it proves to be the problem, ... mostly its the programming that frustrates!
Does anyone know of alternative firmware that could be employed on the Mate3, or
An alternate controller that could assume its place entirely, or
Have experience with a different brand of inverter that will seamlessly blend (without feedback to the grid) grid power and battery power, even a hard switchover such as a transfer switch between systems that will reliably switch when load exceeds battery capacity, and reliably switch back once battery power is restored.

I have not actually lived with either of them so I could just be ignorant, but it seems like Schneider and Outback are plagued with these kinds of frustrations. It's actually a lot of complex logic involved and their software isn't the best.

Sol ark seems to have the most polished interface for this logic and sol ark users are most likely to report that it just does what they want it to without frustration.

For me wanting to keep my schneider I have decided to abandon the grid AC input completely, and feed the grid into the system by a charger. It's a lot easier for me to control what a relatively dumb charger does than try to work with the Schneider settings.

You might be able to use the two wire generator control of the Outback to signal the charger on and off. The tricky part about charger component configuration is keeping it from fully charging all the time leaving no room for solar. I'm going to use my BMS to signal for charge based on SOC. I'm not sure if your Outback counts SOC on a flooded bank or just does pure voltage control.

Last edited:
The charging is not an issue, ... blending in "more" power than my inverter makes from the grid and reverting back to the inverter in slack times ... consistently is what I'm after.
I will look into Sol Ark, thank you

Back