diy solar

diy solar

Fusing inverter outputs

Sk122

I am using a 1200 watt Giandel 12vdc inverter, with 2 gage input wire and 100 amp switch/breaker. My question is, 1200 watts roughly equals 10 amps at 120 vac out. However the inverter output has only receptacle type out put on it. Do i need to fuse this or is it internally protected?

A short on the AC side typically overloads the inverter causing it to reset after the load (or short) is removed. So, for small inverters, having an AC breaker isn't critical. However, if it's going to be untended or you just want the piece of mind adding in a breaker is pretty cheap (example).

Not sure if this is it Amazon.com: 1200Watt Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V 120V AC with 20A Solar Charge Controller Remote Control Dual AC Outlets & USB Port for RV Truck Solar System: Automotive but the manual says:

4. Overload protection: The inverter will automatically shut down when the load is higher than the rated power. The buzzer will whistle continuously. Turn off the inverter and resume to normal operation after taking away the excessive load.
5. Short-circuit protection: The AC output will be automatically shut down when short circuited. It will automatically reset after the problem is solved.

Back