diy solar

diy solar

Genasun GV-5-PB-12v MPPT Question.

Dacflyer

Does anyone know what the minimum input (panel size) is for this CC to operate ?
I'm Starting to think I might have a bad solar panel or it's too small. It is a small 12v 1/2amp panel.
The panel measures about 17VOC But goes down to about the voltage of the battery when connected to the CC.
The status led on the CC is always showing STAND BY. I've only seen twice where it was showing charging.
This is a new CC...

I have used some of their other charge controllers but not that one.

I did see in the manual that the connections have to be done in a very specific way or it won't work ( in terms of what is connected to the panels vs batteries)

A typical Victron MPPT solar charge controller needs the solar panel voltage to be ~ (Vbattery ) + ( 5 volts) to turn on and start charging, but I could not find what this number is for this controller when I skimmed through the manual. They tend to make very efficient CCs so it might be lower.

With a 17 volt Voc, I am assuming that the Vmp is only 14 - 15 volts, For this kind of use a pwm controller would be better, but those Genasun cc are really great for lots of reasons.

Perhaps contact them and ask. I am very curious about the answer as well.

I figured it out,, the solar panel is actually bad.. low voltage under load.. reads 5v when it should be at least 17VOC
reads 5.6 with 1 watt load..and it's a 10 W panel.. I tried another panel, only 5W and it worked.. I ordered the proper panel for the unit..

Back