diy solar

diy solar

Getting to bulk mode charge mode

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
Mixed use of Zamp and other brand panels (470w). RV came with Zamp panels and Zamp 30a controller. I've since added two 100ah battleborn batteries, and upgraded the Progressive LI charger. Neither the solar charger, nor the 120V charger go into bulk mode. Progressive is blaming the solar controller for raising system voltage preventing it from going into bulk mode. Zamp is blaming the batteries for not taking higher voltage. Battleborn, states they are the recipient of whatever is being delivered.
Plans are to climb up on the roof and check the battery voltage of each panel near noon tomorrow (Lake Havasu AZ). Also to check the 120V charger voltage disconnected from 12V.
It takes forever to charge the batteries to full charge, and I'm not sure they actually ever get there. While the 2 100ah batteries is less than I'd like to have, I'm apparently using more electrons than I expected, or I'm just not getting to a full charge.
Last night for example, it was cold out, so furnace was running a bit. My 2200w generator was started at roughly 5 pm, it will run for 7 hours, while the charger and parasitic loads was pulling 680watts. I had other loads running later, including 150w TV for a couple of hours. Gen ran out of fuel during the night, and at 7am, battery voltage was 12.0v. I don't mind running the generator, as I realize 200ah is a bit light for my expectations, but this seems to be not getting me to where I want to be. I had better performance out of GC2 lead acid batteries, but I also knew the charger was doing a good job too.
Any thoughts on what I'm missing here?

Need to know how many amps are going in-out of the battery. Voltage and current are somewhat different with these batteries. Lead-acid you will see voltage rise quickly to 14.4+ while the lithium may sit at 13.2-13.4 for an extended period while bulk charging.

Although it does seem like there is a bad connection between the PD converter and the batteries. OK to disconnect the solar panels and just work with the converter to verify it is working. Certainly if the battery is at 12.0 volts the amps into the battery s/b close to the rating even if it takes several hours to get up to 13.6+ volts. May need a DC clamp-on ammeter to discover what is going on.

Each 100AH Battery can take up to 50A Charge (0.5 C-Rate) and you are only providing 30A to two batteries with that Solar Charge Controller. (* IF you are getting Full Power from the Zamp which will be affected by Angle/Direction, dirt on panels etc...) The Zamp 30 Amp 5-Stage PWM Charge Controller is quite limited & PWM as opposed to MPPT which will bring in more Solar Juice. Generally, the minimum useable amperage to charge LFP is 0.2C or 20A each for a 100AH battery.

It may be more prudent to upgrade the SCC to an MPPT Type which can output 40-50A. Of course this will require appropriate paneling. There is quite an assortment of SCC's that can do this at a reasonable cost BUT I would highly suggest using models which can be added to (linked) such as Victron.

Detailed Specs (PDF)

The highest amps I've seen out of the zamp controller is a whopping 14.9 amps. We're parked with full hookups and overnight the charger was finally able to get the batteries topped off. I'll turn off the charger, but given the light 12v load, not expecting big things to happen.

Thank you for the Victron link, was looking at Victron battery readout device so I can watch flow of energy into and out of the battery.

I would have suggested some other & less costly products BUT they have little to no provision for an upgrade / enhancement path, where you can link more than one Victron SCC together & still have full functionality / capability. There are more expensive ones too but bang for buck just not worth it in the end.

Biggest problems with any Mobile System is panel angle, it is rarely if ever optimal or even close to it and it does indeed make a Huge Difference even though some people fail to realize this until after they are deep into it and learn. I've seen some Solar Awnings appearing which may be a compromise solution but that woule really depend on your vehicle type and it's unique design but it may be worth a good gander at.

Measured the open circuit voltage on each panel and then the two that are tied together
170w panel = 26.6v
100w panel = 23.7v
200w panel = 26.0v
170+100w panel = 24.9v (only had two ports junction on the roof).

Progressive 9160 charger open circuit voltage, 14.6v.

Zamp controller has shown as high as 14.9a, may be a bit low, but considering the sun angle, pretty much as expected?

I have a Progressive pendant coming which will allow me to force the system into bulk mode

Sounds like those panels are flat on the roof - if they are, be *especially* careful about rooftop extension shadowing - especially in winter - like from a pop-up vent, or any other protrusion throwing it's long shadow across the panels.

Back