diy solar

diy solar

Grid as Backup

Swaneybob

The difference between what my local utility pays for my solar and what they charge me for using it is too much. I would like to do a solar/battery system that uses the grid as back up. I’ve been told I may be able to use the type of automatic transfer switch which is typically used for a backup generator; wiring it in reverse. Has anyone had experience with this scenario?

The difference between what my local utility pays for my solar and what they charge me for using it is too much. I would like to do a solar/battery system that uses the grid as back up. I’ve been told I may be able to use the type of automatic transfer switch which is typically used for a backup generator; wiring it in reverse. Has anyone had experience with this scenario?
Swaneybob
Do you currently have a grid tied solar system installed that back feeds to the grid?

Most battery based hybrid inverter/chargers will have the option to program a wide range of grid use scenarios like battery voltage/state of charge, load draw, time of use, etc...

As for the generator transfer switch, I have rewired the control circuit in a Generac ATS already, just not for your described scenario, but you would not need this if you use the buy the correct hybrid inverter...which you will need to manage the battery storage and control you grid tied equipment which you seem to have in place already...

Assuming you have a grid tied system you want to integrate you will to make sure you get compatible equipment. As you will now have an AC coupled system controlled by the battery based inverter

I have a grid tied system. When first installed we had net-metering. Since then the local utility has changed the game. Thank you for your response. I will check to see if my current inverter will accommodate the revised scenario.

Back