diy solar

diy solar

Grid-tied system single line diagram - Hoymiles Microinverters

ncsolarelectric

Engineering Support CEO
I drew up a single line diagram for a 16 panel, 4 x quad microinverters, HMS-1600-4T-NA and HM-1500NT (North America, 240V, 1P), to show how easy it is to interconnect grid-tied. All you need is to apply for an interconnection agreement with your local utility and get a permit. LMK if you need a custom plan like this.

Thank you.
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 1.23.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-25 at 3.01.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-25 at 9.25.25 PM.png

Attachments

• Grid-Tied_System_SLD_for_Hoymiles_HM-1500NT.pdf
    142.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Grid-Tied_System_SLD_for_Hoymiles_HMS-1600-4T-NA.pdf
    142.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Grid-Tied_System_with_Battery_INV_SLD.pdf
    147.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Grid-Tied_Hybrid_System_with_EG4_INV_SLD.pdf
    154.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Do micro inverter based installs require a rapid shutdown device? I know if you run DC into the house it's required.

From what I've read an Eaton AC disconnect doesn't qualify (from a code perspective) as a rapid shutdown device.

Do micro inverter based installs require a rapid shutdown device? I know if you run DC into the house it's required.

From what I've read an Eaton AC disconnect doesn't qualify (from a code perspective) as a rapid shutdown device.
No, they are the rapid shutdown device, and you heard wrong. An Eaton AC disconnect does qualify as an RDS when labeled as such on a solar-only system. The switch must be outside and accessible.

It is not qualified as the shutdown for a battery backup system because it doesn't shut down the microgrid. In those cases, like with Enphase, there is a separate switch that shuts down the entire system including the batteries.

Note, on the SLD above, I did not put RSD on the solar panels feeding the EG4 inverter. If they are on the ground, it's fine but if they are on the roof, I would need to add RSD to the SLD. Clear as mud?

Unfortunately I don't think a grid-tied permit would be possible with the EG4 equipment, would it?
In the diagram, the EG4 is NOT grid-tied. It feeds a sub-panel. It can't back feed to the grid. The Hoymiles microinverters are grid-tied, and they are tied to the main panel and can back feed to the grid.
The only issue with permitting would be that the EG4 inverter is not UL Listed, it is UL Certified, which means you can still do it but you need to pay $$$ to a UL or ETL inspector to come out and do a Field Listing. That is why I have the third option, with the AIMS Power inverter that is ETL Listed and will have no problem being permitted.

My local utility has to sign off on inverters before they are grid tied. A spec sheet has to be submitted and approved unless its on a approved list. They are looking for UL 1741SA compliance confirmed by an ETL.

Any cheaper alternatives to the AIMS inverter?
Yes, actually. The Hoymiles Hybrid and batteries should be available in a month or two.

Attachments

• HYS-LV-USG1-Series_Datasheet_EN_V1.1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • HBX-LV-USG1-Series_Datasheet_EN_V1.1.pdf
    981.9 KB · Views: 13
Yes, actually. The Hoymiles Hybrid and batteries should be available in a month or two.
Any word on price for those?

How about this one:

Any word on price for those?

How about this one:

It won't be that low until I start selling them by the dozen.

I drew up a single line diagram for a 16 panel, 4 x quad microinverters, HMS-1600-4T-NA and HM-1500NT (North America, 240V, 1P), to show how easy it is to interconnect grid-tied. All you need is to apply for an interconnection agreement with your local utility and get a permit. LMK if you need a custom plan like this.

Thank you.
Your diagrams are very good. Would you happen to have one for a 20kw grid-tied system with microinverters and two disconnects.

Back