diy solar

diy solar

Ground mount ballast 11000 pounds 5.5tons!

FWIW; Renusol also sell wind-deflectors, for use on flat roofs where wind may be more of an issue... maybe Powerfield have a similar concept or you could add a DIY wind-deflector yourself? They're just expensive bits of plastic!

Could make some out of marine plywood or similar

I guess I could get away with maybe 100 pounds per 60 cell panel?
The company has no doubt done extensive testing on these things to make sure they will resist calculated wind loads. So if the manufacturer says you need 8 tons to meet specific wind loading requirements, then you use at least 8 tons. They likely will not guarantee their mounts if you make modifications to their design.

The company has no doubt done extensive testing on these things to make sure they will resist calculated wind loads. So if the manufacturer says you need 8 tons to meet specific wind loading requirements, then you use at least 8 tons. They likely will not guarantee their mounts if you make modifications to their design.

Knowing what engineers are like they probably want you to put double the weight in than what actually needed

Knowing what engineers are like they probably want you to put double the weight in than what actually needed

Rubbish if your using a licensed PE.

The PE ( Professional Engineer ) will do the math for what is proposed and that determines what the ballast is and certify as such. If one is in doubt or as good practice should do the math as well and compare if that is a concern.

Exactly. Watching spitty apartments and homes come apart modest wind events (90 mph).

The result of contractors using shiny 10d nails with notched heads and 5/8 plywood and terrible 2x4 stock that should have been used for firewood. “Good enough”

Exactly. Watching spitty apartments and homes come apart modest wind events (90 mph).

The result of contractors using shiny 10d nails with notched heads and 5/8 plywood and terrible 2x4 stock that should have been used for firewood. “Good enough”

That's a big issue with building everything out of wood like you do in the states rather than stone or brick like we would in Europe , it's all well and good and it might be cheaper... but when it gets a bit windy all your houses fly away !

I am still surprised by the difference in ballast weight requirement.

For my rooftop ballast system that is 10 degree pitch with wind break, I needed 1000 pounds for ten standard 60 cell panels.

For this ground mount bucket system with 25 degree pitch with roughly double the number of panels (18 vs 10), I need almost 12x the amount of ballast weight. This is 6x more per panel, so instead of 100 pounds per panel, I need 600 pounds per panel!

Here is another discussion which encapsulates my thoughts. Basically, depending on how you calculate, you can have a ten fold difference in ballast requirement.

Ultimately, he concludes that 180 pounds per standard 60 cell panel (17sq ft) is fine.

Last edited:
Back