diy solar

diy solar

Ground mounted array

Havouza15

I will install a 10 kWp array. I have to install it on the ground but that is no problem, we have a huge plot. My question is. Which give most output, a fixed array facing south or an array that I can tilt east to west

I installed rotating mounts, and what I've personally found is that I could get 5.1kWh from a 1kW array on a February 8th years back. With it stationary I would expect no more than 3.0kWh, so close to double.

In the real-world, here is a more important consideration. At 8:00AM, the sun is at such and acute angle to the panels that your 10kW array is only putting out ~1000W, or 10%. By rotating your panels strings eastwards, you can easily double or triple that.

That becomes very important to me on days when I want to run my well-pump. I find I can make the 2000W needed to run my pump at 8AM when facing eastward. If they were fixed and facing South, I'd have to wait till 10AM to make 2000W. So, rotating mounts give me at least 4 extra pumping hours per day. So, I can get 8 hours of pumping done with zero battery depletion.

Thanks, I thought that was the case.I live in Cyprus we have about 320 sun days with sun from 07.00 to 18.00 if I can tilt them. Do you have automatic tilt? If so what kind.

Anders

Do you have automatic tilt? If so what kind.

Anders
No, manual only. Here is a pic of one of my single-row array frames before putting up the panels. Looking at the lower edge of the pic, you can see the struts that adjust declination. I only bother adjusting the declination quarterly. I adjust azumith daily though.

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 11
Back