diy solar

diy solar

Grounding and Wiring Info/Opinions

lesjones

I'm about to install my first panels and a couple of the EG4 solar mini splits. In preparation, I've been trying to educate myself on grounding and wiring to help mitigate lightning damage. I came across a couple of articles last night that had info that I hadn't read before. Would love to hear opinions about these. Here are two excerpts that caught my attention:

"A wire run of 100 feet(30 m) or more is like an antenna—it will receive surges even from lightning in the clouds. Similar surges can still occur even if the wires are buried, but most installers agree that buried transmission wiring further limits the possibility of lightning damage. A simple strategy to reduce susceptibility to surges is the “twisted pair” technique, which helps equalize and cancel out any induced voltages between the two or more conductors. The ground wire need not be twisted with the power wires. For burial runs, use bare copper wire; if you use conduit, run the ground wire outside the conduit. The additional earth contact will improve the grounding of the system."

This was on a ham radio site that was posted by a user. It's specifically talking about the ground wire used between grounding electrodes, but I'm assuming that the same holds true for other types of ground wire.

"Larger wire (at least 6 AWG) is used for several reasons, first of all, the larger the wire, the lower the resistance and the lower the damage in case of a lightning strike. Next, larger wire has much lower inductance and this is really important with lightning, as the change of current versus time (dV/dT) is very high and for a small period of time, the ground doesn’t even appear to be connected! If at all possible, use a stranded wire with fine strands. A good example is welding wire. It is rather expensive but it is designed to give a large current flow with low losses and low inductance."

Grounding is a Topic that elicits almost more "Pinions" than Politics...
IF Offgrid you need to protect both sides, the DC Side & AC Side and there is no "absolute perfect" solution (there is but more bux than any normal human has).

Midnite Solar has some of the Best SPD's available out there. They are on the big side so depending on your setup can be a PITA to install. They cover both DC & AC systems with the correct SPD.

Please Note: Grounding is EXTREMELY important ! If done improperly, the consequences can be MOST DIRE indeed. If you have ANY doubts, double check & verify. Sadly, in a DIY Web Universe, you will get many opinions. One thing that Web Opinions do not help with is "Regional specifics or Peculiarities". For example in a Dry Desert situation, grounding has to address that (dry earth != good conductor or ground) where wet/moist soils are "better" conductors. Some areas allow a person to use their Well Casings as a ground point while in other areas it is not allowed. Be Certain of what applies TO YOU IN YOUR REGION !

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

Back