diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12k unboxing

You can hook as many watts to it as you want. The MPPT part can only use 7000 watts, but overpanelling allows earlier charging starts and later charging time. When the sun makes the array put out over 7kw, the excess is wasted unless you need it in the house.
All inverters will use a battery to achieve the stated surge power.
Do own and use a Growatt 12kw? Over paneling with these units is a hotly debated subject

I have a 8000 growatt, but the parameters are the same, on the input side. The 12000watt refers to the OUTPUT while the 7000 refers to the INPUT.

Yet to get a concrete answer on over paneling the 12k growatt inverters and charge controllers. Told up to 18 on the inverters and 20 on charge controllers but at 18 panels it only ran for 1 1/2 months before the mains caps failed. So far I was told only run two in series for 92v+- which the inverter cannot run on. Told 18 per input then 6 then 12 max. I was told you could run up to 20 on the charge controllers. I'm currently testing 9 panels via 3 strings per input which is 138v. I would not over-panel the growatts till I can post back with a firm answer.

Last edited:
Yet to get a concrete answer on over paneling the 12k growatt inverters and charge controllers. Told up to 18 on the inverters and 20 on charge controllers but at 18 panels it only ran for 1 1/2 months before the mains caps failed. So far I was told only run two in series for 92v+- which the inveter cannot run on. Told 18 per input then 6 then 12 max. I was you could run upto 20 on the charge controllers. I'm currently testing 9 panels via 3 strings per input which is 138v. I would not overpanel the growatts till I can post back with a firm answer.
Here were my thoughts on the SCC in the 12Kw unit from another thread.

The MPPT in these units is 3500w times 2 for a total of 7Kw. The voltage operating range is 60-245VDC. Max amps is 120a divided by 2.

Think about this, 60VDC x 60a = 3600 watts. Right inline with the 3500w max per MPPT.

Increasing PV volts, amps need to come down. It isn't a case of 250 VOC and 120a max although that would be sweet. It goes by the watts and each SCC is 3500w max. I know what Ian says on his website but unless the unit can convert PV direct to inverter, then you are limited to the 7000w total.

In addition, Ian does recommend if you want to overpanel, then add another SCC. This is the way to go, it can be any brand such as Midnite or the GW. I think you would be better served with simply adding more SCC capability.

I have 8040 watts of panels but haven’t ever hooked them all up. It just isn’t possible at my current location. I have 24 335 watt qcells 3s4p in each input. Ian said it was fine but sounds like I may want to just get another scc801D1BAB-D32A-4B3F-A7AA-09EC1598BD2B.jpeg

How big of a generator can you hook to your house? I contest, it is not the watts that is the limit, it is ALWAYS the volts. Watts are not pushed into a device. Watts are drawn in, while volts is another matter. Never, ever, go over on the volts. But that's just my take on things.
And here is another twist; if you have a Pv string that is 220vdc and 7000 watts. Then you split the incoming wire, into 2 and feed one to each pv input of the growatt, than each wire would have the ability to have 7000 watts or just 3500 each?

I have a Westinghouse 9500 dual fuel that I charge my battery with 7859C8B6-449A-4E79-A43B-B55F563C359E.png

Lol, my point is; you can't over watt your house. Same is true for your car (dcv) your can't put too large of a battery in your car. amp capacity is irrelevant. 800 or 1000cca or bigger will not hurt the system. It won't blow your headlights or burn out your starter. These are amp draw, or watt draw. But we dont talk watts in a car.... no need to.
We also don't worry about how many watts we have available in our home. For the record mine is 24000 watts or 200 amp service.

Yes I tend to agree that Watts is watts and it should not matter and the charge controller so just disregard any over panel. But in the case of growatt there are some users who might have burnt up their charge controller over paneling , and growatt specifically says do not over panel Beyond 7000 Watts. 3500 Watts on each input

Thank you, this is a concern. Sure wish we had a definitive answer, with logic and good electrical science behind that answer

None of my wholesalers sell a 200 amp 120 volt panel.....period.

120 volt panels are very rare these days we went to 240 volt panels more than 50 years ago

A panel that has two 120 volt legs is a 120/240 volt split phase panel

A panel that has only one 120 volt leg is a 120 volt panel

Im a contractor, In my warehouse I have a stack of these.

This is a 240 volt split phase panel, it has two 120 volt legs at 200 amps each

Attachments

• B97AC052-59CB-4EA0-BE16-AAE8F271FE7A.jpeg
    B97AC052-59CB-4EA0-BE16-AAE8F271FE7A.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 9
Back