diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 4880 MPPT vs Schneider 60/150 MPPT

Offthewall

So which is better??? Well I am doing a side by side to see…

Build quality - both are well built but the Schneider is a little better IMO. I have not torn into a Growatt yet but the first capacitor I can see is a Rubicon (high quality) which is nice to see. All too often I see cheap crap capacitors that cost a few cents less being used and result in a short life.

Performance - both seem to be very close under full sun conditions… where the Schneider clearly wins out is in cloudy/low light conditions. I have observed the Schneider put out 95-100+ watts to the battery on cloudy days while the Growatt just sits there idle ( both hooked to 2.64kw of panels each)

Noise - Schneider is the silent winner here. The Growatt puts out a high frequency noise all the time your solar input has a higher voltage than the battery bank. It also is fan cooled vs the air cooled Schneider.

Cost- Growatt is less than 1/2 the cost of the Schneider. Part of the reason I wanted to test the Growatt was to see if it was a good enough unit to allow keeping a backup or 2 on hand for backups.

So all that said what are my thoughts?? I think the Growatt is a good alternative to Schneider IF cost is a primary concern.

My system will end up using 5 charge controllers when all is said and done… I would love to use all Schneider equipment but the cost adds up quickly! I originally purchased 5 of the Schneider 60/150’s, 2 originally and 3 when I started upgrading my system. I actually purchased them before I purchased my new panels. Unfortunately I could not use them so I ended up selling 4 of them (all were still new in the box so easy to sell). The “problem” now is what to get… my only option from Schneider is the 80/600 at nearly 5x the cost of the Growatt. Would the Growatt work instead of the super expensive 80/600… yes. How well… we shall see.

Well I may have to change this… seems my Growatt is not charging… not sure what is up.. no error codes… just a flashing green light indicating it should be charging but no output.

Kinda having the same issues with my 48120 Growatt. Sits idle most of the time in cloudy low light conditions here in western Montana. 2.1kw array. Does ok in summer though.

Back