diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000 ES limiting charge current

Even if the batteries can only be charged at 100 Amps max? How can you expect 700a charging if the max charging rate for egl batteries is 100a?
Sorry, I failed to say that my battery bank is (or will be) 224 x 280ah EVE cells. Capable of taking over 780ah of charging at a 0.2 C rate.

The only way around this I have found is by setting the battery to User Defined, and that basically throws the SOC out the window because its all over the place
It doesn't have to throw SOC out the window. It is simply a matter of the right settings such that the SOC resets at the top of each complete charge cycle. I use a conservative value for the capacity setting of my battery so that if there is any error in SOC it will show less SOC than actual. My BMS also tracks SOC so I do have two perspectives on SOC if one has drifted from the other. Worse case I can see discharge in kWhs since last reset.

So I have been testing this week using these recommenced settings from Signature Solar with a single 5KES.
Setting 2 - 90A
Setting 5 - US2
Setting 19 - 58v
Setting 20 - 56.5v
Setting 21 - 46v
Its been working great and I am seeing charging rates well above what occurs when setting 5 is LI. Great news.
Then i powered on my 2nd 5KES. Made the changes to match and YES !! Setting 5 can be changed on the primary 5KES AND the secondary as well. So it is fully configurable for charging amps in each 5KES.
Just wanted to let everyone know.
Thanks
Dirk

I also got 5000ESs. One thing you should consider: If you value your battery life, don't let them get too hot when charging. For me that means 25A on each battery (100A in total over 3 inverters, 35A per) when charging, that amounts to 35-36 degrees temp inside my batteries. I got 4 pcs. of big 200ah batteries (total 800ah) in a bank.
Keep the temp down. For me the batteries goes from 10% to full in roughly 5 hrs.

Hopefully, that's incorrect information from them.(I think it must be) I plan to end up with 6 or 7 ,and expect to get full charging capabilities from each.
I have 2 5000Es in Parallel and I can get 100a from each invertor for 200a total . Mine are set for 80a charge currently on each invertor.

I have 2 5000Es in Parallel and I can get 100a from each invertor for 200a total . Mine are set for 80a charge currently on each invertor.
So you have setting 5 as US2? I can do that as well with 2 inverters in parallel as long as I have setting 5 as US2 and NOT L1.
Also, my batteries have a max charge rate of 100A so i cant have both inverters at 100A each if I had an array connected to each 5KES.

I now have 3 5000ES running. And each will charge at 100a. For a total of 300a. No issues here at all.
(I don't use BMS communications)

Does anyone have some known good or recommend settings for a 24V battery in the Growatt. This is what I'm thinking:

ProgramValueNotes
2​
90max current
5​
US2battery type
19​
28.2charging voltage
20​
27.6floating charging voltage
21​
22low DC cut-off voltage

Does anyone have some known good or recommend settings for a 24V battery in the Growatt. This is what I'm thinking:

ProgramValueNotes
2​
90max current
5​
US2battery type
19​
28.2charging voltage
20​
27.6floating charging voltage
21​
22low DC cut-off voltage
The Growatt SPF-5000-ES is 48v.
You should start your own thread. So that your answers don't confuse this thread.

I now have 3 5000ES running. And each will charge at 100a. For a total of 300a. No issues here at all.
Hey, I am having the limited charge issue with my 4 SPF5000ES units. Any chance you could post your settings. I am currently set as follows:

User2​

User2
No BMS comms
SmartShunt
6 EG4 LiFePower4 48V batteries
5 EG4-LL V1 48v Batteries
4 SPF5000ES All in ones
21kW Solar

I'm only able to get 100 amp charge

Thanks

Hey, I am having the limited charge issue with my 4 SPF5000ES units. Any chance you could post your settings. I am currently set as follows:

User2​

User2
No BMS comms
SmartShunt
6 EG4 LiFePower4 48V batteries
5 EG4-LL V1 48v Batteries
4 SPF5000ES All in ones
21kW Solar

I'm only able to get 100 amp charge

Thanks
Not sure what settings you want.
No BMS communications.
USER
#19 - 57v
#20 - 56v

Ok. This is what I got from Signature Solar Tier 2:
"I will let you know that if we are BMS communicating that the BMS will only take in the amps that it wants at that time even if we have more available. If you did want to manually set your setting 2 to a higher charging amperage then we would have to change setting 5 to us2 on both of the inverters and we would have to manually set the batteries parameters. My suggested settings i'll say below.

Setting 2 - 80A
Setting 5 - US2
Setting 19 - 58v
Setting 20 - 56.5v
Setting 21 - 46v"

Thanks all for the help and replies.

It still leaves several open questions though and it makes sense now. But the way the product is marketed it seems to be much more expandable than what it really is.
Based on what I am being told by Signature Solar when you run more than 1 ES the following applies.

Limit: 100 A charge rate ( This is true regardless of the # of ES systems).
Having more than 1 5000ES with an array attached to the 2nd ES will add very little if any value depending on setting 5. If you use BMS you are limited to 50 amps and that drops to 25 amps if you have 2 ES's in parallel. So having a 6KW array on the primary ES will only charge at 25 amps even if it is producing 75 amps. And if you have a 2nd array on SL1 you will only add 25 amps to battery charging.
If you select US2 for setting 5 and 100A for setting 2 you will be limited to 50 amps for Primary and 50 amps for SL1.
This appears to be a linear function. I.E you have 3 5000ES in parallel you will be limited even further per 5000ES. Even manually setting 2 to 100 amps you will only get 33.3 per 5000ES in a 3 system setup.
Based on this if you are planning on a 3 or more ES system, size your arrays appropriately or you will be very disappointed.
If you change settings 2&5, do you still use the BMS cable? What about the cables between batteries?

So you go without SOC indication?

So I have been testing this week using these recommenced settings from Signature Solar with a single 5KES.
Setting 2 - 90A
Setting 5 - US2
Setting 19 - 58v
Setting 20 - 56.5v
Setting 21 - 46v
Its been working great and I am seeing charging rates well above what occurs when setting 5 is LI. Great news.
Then i powered on my 2nd 5KES. Made the changes to match and YES !! Setting 5 can be changed on the primary 5KES AND the secondary as well. So it is fully configurable for charging amps in each 5KES.
Just wanted to let everyone know.
Thanks

I tried those settings, the batteries (4) would drain and system would not switch to utility setting was (SBU). do you still have the battery cable connected? I have 2 Growatts 5000ES with 4.5kw on each inverter and the amps will not go above 11.

Hi all,

Same issue going on here. 3x SPF5000ES in parallel with 4x 4.8kW Growatt Hope batteries (19.2kW total).
Approx 4.5kW of solar connected to each inverter for a total of 12.8kW in panels.

Charging starts off limiting each inverter to 21A (total 64A to the batteries). It stays that way until around 95% SOC when it raises to 66A per inverter (total 200A to batteries).
As such, a lot of the day's solar is going to waste and it means adding additional capacity in batteries will be wasted, as they will never charge during the day.
I have been talking to Growatt technical for the last month, and it seems they don't even understand their own system.

Also I have noted that the batteries only operate between roughly 46.5V when low, and 51.5V at a high SOC. There is little to no voltage drop between the inverters to the batteries.

It's getting frustrating not getting a clear response from Growatt as I purchased the system based on their advertised performance specifications.

Any help appreciated.

Anthony.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Same issue going on here. 3x SPF5000ES in parallel with 4x 4.8kW Growatt Hope batteries (19.2kW total).
Approx 4.5kW of solar connected to each inverter for a total of 12.8kW in panels.

Charging starts off limiting each inverter to 21A (total 64A to the batteries). It stays that way until around 95% SOC when it raises to 61A per inverter (total 185A to batteries).
As such, a lot of the day's solar is going to waste and it means adding additional capacity in batteries will be wasted, as they will never charge during the day.
I have been talking to Growatt technical for the last month, and it seems they don't even understand their own system.

Also I have noted that the batteries only operate between roughly 46.5V when low, and 51.5V at a high SOC. There is little to no voltage drop between the inverters to the batteries.

It's getting frustrating not getting a clear response from Growatt as I purchased the system based on their advertised performance specifications.

Any help appreciated.

Anthony.
If you are using BMS communications, the limit is coming from the BMS.

Back