diy solar

diy solar

Growatt is disconnecting solar. Why?

D. Abineri

I have a Growatt spf 6000 with 48V of LIP batteries using an overkill bms.

There are times during very good sunlight that the solar PV input will shut down showing no connection from the panels on the Growatt screen and registering zero amperage coming in.

Does anyone know what setting on the inverter might cause this behavior and how it might be changed to prevent this?

Could be too many things. Is the battery full? What's your set up, are you going over the voltage or amperage limits?

The max utility charging current is set for 60A
Setting voltage point back to utility is 46V.
Setting voltage point back to battery is 51V
CV charging voltage is 55V
Floating charging voltage is 50V
Low DC cutoff voltage is 46V
Pack voltage currently 53V

Which setting sets when the battery is full?

Thanks for your help Photon Sorcerer

Unfortunately, I have been messing with the settings to try to figure out what they all mean and what they control.

But I did recently hook up a Neey active balancer to the system and it has been doing a good job of balancing and keeping the pack voltage up

Any help will be appreciated, Bud.

Dave

Unfortunately, I have been messing with the settings to try to figure out what they all mean and what they control.

But I did recently hook up a Neey active balancer to the system and it has been doing a good job of balancing and keeping the pack voltage up

Any help will be appreciated, Bud.

Dave
Is that an answer to Bud Martin? If so, I don't understand. Did the issue start after you started messing with settings? Or are you messing with settings to try and figure it out? Did issue start after installation of the active balancer?

In post #2, I was asking about your PV voltage and amperage compared to inverter specs.

Also, settings do you have in the BMS?

Does the issue present at a constant battery voltage?

The max utility charging current is set for 60A
Setting voltage point back to utility is 46V.
Setting voltage point back to battery is 51V
CV charging voltage is 55V
Floating charging voltage is 50V
Low DC cutoff voltage is 46V
Pack voltage currently 53V

Which setting sets when the battery is full?

Thanks for your help Photon Sorcerer
The CV charge voltage is when the inverter thinks the pack is mostly full and switches from CC to CV. But your float voltage is significantly lower than I'd like to see. Is that what your battery manufacturer recommended? I'd normally expect float to be close to CV, maybe 0.2 volts lower.

That's Dr. Photon Sorcerer, to you sir! ??
Inverter max PV voltage is 150V and I have 100V coming from my panels.
Inverter max current is 80A and typically have under 5 A.
The PV system is 4KW with used panels.

There are too many bms settings, but which might be useful for this situation?

Thanks

Inverter max PV voltage is 150V and I have 100V coming from my panels.
Inverter max current is 80A and typically have under 5 A.
The PV system is 4KW with used panels.
100v at 5 amps doesn't sound like 4kW of panels, even used. I'd expect much more than 500 watts.
But, if you are sure on that 100 volt number, that's probably not the cause.
There are too many bms settings, but which might be useful for this situation?

Thanks
Any that cause disconnect?
With so little to go on, I'm just shooting in the dark. If the BMS disconnects the battery the inverter may respond by cutting solar, possibly temporarily.

Again, what's your battery voltage when this happens? You said earlier the current voltage was 51 volts. Was it happening then? Is there any pattern or regularity you can see?

Photon Sorcerer, I was looking at some very cloudy days. The PV input is typically 100V at something under 30A. I lowered the utility charging current figuring that this would prompt the solar to charge more.

I have not noted the pack voltage when this occurs but will watch this. Pack voltage currently at 51.3V

Thanks again

Here is another piece of information. After tweaking the settings, and still not able to maintain PV current, I am getting a regular error 03 which is "battery over charged, battery voltage too high". Battery is at 53.6V currently. How do I prevent this error from repeating?

Where did you measured that 53.6?
Can you use a volt meter and measure the voltage at the inverter connection? You may have a voltage drop somewhere causing resistance and higher voltage at the inverter than battery terminals.

Back