diy solar

diy solar

Growatt MIN 10000TL-XH-US Errors

mangler

I must got my residential solar system commissioned last week (11.6kw roof mount, Growatt MIN 10000TL XH-US grid tie). I have been getting errors logged on the inverter since the install date. The following errors have popped up:

404(00) EEPROM abnormal (4 days in a row, seems to occur around midnight). Says to restart, but inverter was restarted when this occured on the first day

404(02) bus sample fault Happened on 2 different days, again says to restart

Wondering if any Growatt MIN owners have seen these errors, and if so how they resolved them. My inverter temp also seems a bit high (Hit 58degC with 24DegC ambient, with only 65% load), but that could still be normal (looking for owner feedback). Manual says it will derate at 45degC ambient or above, but no mention of the inverter temperature that triggers the derating. There may be a fan in my future plans (inverter is passively cooled).

I must got my residential solar system commissioned last week (11.6kw roof mount, Growatt MIN 10000TL XH-US grid tie). I have been getting errors logged on the inverter since the install date. The following errors have popped up:

404(00) EEPROM abnormal (4 days in a row, seems to occur around midnight). Says to restart, but inverter was restarted when this occured on the first day

404(02) bus sample fault Happened on 2 different days, again says to restart

Wondering if any Growatt MIN owners have seen these errors, and if so how they resolved them. My inverter temp also seems a bit high (Hit 58degC with 24DegC ambient, with only 65% load), but that could still be normal (looking for owner feedback). Manual says it will derate at 45degC ambient or above, but no mention of the inverter temperature that triggers the derating. There may be a fan in my future plans (inverter is passively cooled).
Never had that on any of mine. The only way you are going to fix an eeprom problem is with Growatt. Call Growatt support at +1-866-6860298. During normal California working hours I’ve always gotten a call back within 1-2 hours the 3-4 times I’ve called them. The only thing I’ve ever called them about was firmware upgrades, one needed an upgrade out-of-the box, lots of errors indicating that on first power up - the others was when adding batteries, I added batteries several times and several of them needed firmware upgrades out-of-the-box

They had to upgrade the firmware on mine also, but it was late in the day, and the first attempt did not quite complete (low power). It supposedly completed the second time around, but now I am wondering if I somehow have a corrupted firmware because of the first fail. This morning i woke up to the inverter on standby, started producing around 7am, then just quit. I restarted/power cycled,and it is back online. I will get them on the phone on Monday morning so see about the errors. I have to say tech support has been pretty good so far, i just wish my stuff would just work out of the box ;)

They had to upgrade the firmware on mine also, but it was late in the day, and the first attempt did not quite complete (low power). It supposedly completed the second time around, but now I am wondering if I somehow have a corrupted firmware because of the first fail. This morning i woke up to the inverter on standby, started producing around 7am, then just quit. I restarted/power cycled,and it is back online. I will get them on the phone on Monday morning so see about the errors. I have to say tech support has been pretty good so far, i just wish my stuff would just work out of the box ;)
That happed with me on the next to last battery module i installed, the guy was working from home somewhere in Louisiana and kept loosing his network connection- he emailed me the firmware files and I loaded them with a usb stick, so on the last battery I didn’t need to call them. If you use the direct message tool to me I’d share those files, but you have to be careful about stuff like that - firmware can be tricky, it’s probably best to just wait on them. Tell what versions you have on yours now and when I get home I’ll post my versions

Thanks I power cycled 3 times since the upgrade, so that should not be the issue. I am currently running (UE1.0)UEAA0901 Control software version, and ZACA-0 communication software version according to Shinetools.

We have the same control software version, however, my communication software is ZACA-9.
I have the V2 version, attached is a picture of the name plate of one of mine, the part number is at the bottom, also attached is a table which is a cross reference that identifies module name, model number and rating of the various versions, I got this when I ordered my last inverter 6/7 months ago. I'm curious if yours is V1, V2 or V3?

Attachments

• V2_Inverter_PartNumber_PV01.0073300good.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 14
  • MIN-xxxxTL-XH-US_Inverter_Models-versions-crossrefence.pdf
    241.2 KB · Views: 11
According to PN sequencing mine would be V1 (it's a MIN 10000TL-XH-US). More issues today, as the inverter went on standby because it "sensed" low grid frequency. Report shows readings of 57, 55, 52 and 49.5Hz... I have been monitoring the grid with my P3 killawatt meter since the phone call with Growatt and it has been rock solid at 59.9-60.0Hz. Low grid frequency is not a normal issue here. Looks like something is borked on the frequency sensor side of the inverter. More down time ahead. Good times...

According to PN sequencing mine would be V1 (it's a MIN 10000TL-XH-US). More issues today, as the inverter went on standby because it "sensed" low grid frequency. Report shows readings of 57, 55, 52 and 49.5Hz... I have been monitoring the grid with my P3 killawatt meter since the phone call with Growatt and it has been rock solid at 59.9-60.0Hz. Low grid frequency is not a normal issue here. Looks like something is borked on the frequency sensor side of the inverter. More down time ahead. Good times...
Unlikely and you probably already have, but I would make for sure all connections in the wiring between where your grid terminals are in the inverter wire box and wherever they land on the other end are solid and not loose.
I have 4 of those inverters total ( two V2 and two V1 ) , 2 spares and 2 installed and I’ve had each of the spares installed to make durn sure they work then put them back in the box that they came in, other than firmware upgrades not the first problem. Purchased from 3 different vendors ( wherever was cheapest when I was ready to buy another). Sounds like I was fortunate - I’d very much like to hear whatever the problem is when it’s found!

Unlikely and you probably already have, but I would make for sure all connections in the wiring between where your grid terminals are in the inverter wire box and wherever they land on the other end are solid and not loose.
I have 4 of those inverters total ( two V2 and two V1 ) , 2 spares and 2 installed and I’ve had each of the spares installed to make durn sure they work then put them back in the box that they came in, other than firmware upgrades not the first problem. Purchased from 3 different vendors ( wherever was cheapest when I was ready to buy another). Sounds like I was fortunate - I’d very much like to hear whatever the problem is when it’s found!
Will do. Do you have rapid module level shutdown installed on your Growatt inverters? If so what brand?

BTW this is the kind of behaviour I am seeing. 11.6kw Roof array, 16 deg. slant, azimut 168deg. I am concerned about the inverter going on stanby below 5kw load. See morning behaviour, before 8:40am (that should be 9:40am, still haven't got the time difference resolved.) Sometimes I get the same behaviour in the afternoon. No shade at all in the morning so that is not a contributor. Sometimes the random standby is caused by wonky grid frequency readings (<60Hz), but not always...
Capture.JPG_solar08292023.JPG

If you can stand it I’m going to look at it like I do when troubleshooting large turbine controls, the typical problem is rarely solved with an undisciplined approach. Can you send a clear photo of the inside of the wire box and also all the alarms recorded in the web app from when you first connected it to Growatt’s system?

Also, what did you mean by “rapid module level shutdown” in your note above? I assume you are not talking about the remote trip push button? I have found that the remote trip push button will put it in standby with no alarm, or at least that’s what it would do in the firmware version they were using 18 months ago. I’ve removed mine and will install in a different location this fall.

By Rapid Shutdown I mean rapid shutdown at the module level. Basically a module that gets installed at the back of each solar panel, and looks for a "keep alive pulse" from the transmitter. if it does not sense the pulse for more than x seconds it will shut down power at the module level. It is mandatory for safety here in Ontario, for roof mount systems. Popular brands include APSmart and Tigo.

Alarms have now been cleared (they were just lingering in there, from what the Growatt tech could tell, just remnants of old triggered alarms. Last wipe seems to have gotten rid of them for good).

I did get the same behaviour as above today, lots of standby from 7:55 to 11:05am. Not sunny but plenty of light to at least give me power in the 800-1200watt range (from 11600w array). I basically got no power during these hours. Same behaviour, when the inverter is on standby, at least one of the strings is below 50V, and it "detects" grid frequency lower than 60Hz.Each string has it's own MPPT, so anything over 50V on any string should produce power.

Back