diy solar

diy solar

Growatt MIN series battery requirements

you still young!
Got it this morning and working this afternoon. They are both grid tied, using separate power meters. Works without instability, but the arrangement is that each inverter is tied to a separate panel, 1 to the main panel, the other to a subpanel off of it. the meter for one is on the incoming feed to the main panel, the other’s meter is on the feed from the main panel to subpanel. If grid is lost I can feed my auto transformer with the off grid output of either inverter - currently setup to do that with breakers manually.
OK, I think I've realised what it is you were explaining above on how you have connected the two power meters that are connected to each inverter. Would I be incorrect in saying that one of your power meters is on the power line leading to your load (house) "downstream" so to speak of the first power meter?

Would I be incorrect in saying that one of your power meters is on the power line leading to your load (house) "downstream" so to speak of the first power meter?
Yes, there are loads between the 2 meters. I expect you could probably get things to work with both meters at the same point, by having the ramp rates on the 2 inverters significantly different. But it might take a lot of patience. Unfortunately the inverters only give the ability to set the ramp rate (gain), if there was a integral or lag setting or anything like the typical settings for a PID it would be simple- they must be there they just don’t make them accessible to customer- probably wise, not many people would understand it and could cause lots of harm.

Yes, there are loads between the 2 meters. I expect you could probably get things to work with both meters at the same point, by having the ramp rates on the 2 inverters significantly different. But it might take a lot of patience. Unfortunately the inverters only give the ability to set the ramp rate (gain), if there was a integral or lag setting or anything like the typical settings for a PID it would be simple- they must be there they just don’t make them accessible to customer- probably wise, not many people would understand it and could cause lots of harm.
And, the reason I did it that way is so I can power whole house when off grid, break it into 2 separate systems and the 5kW off grid output from each inverter is plenty for each segment.

Van-traveler86, are you 86 or were you born in '86? &:cool:
born in 86 XD, but is how you feel not your age!! that is so cool that you are trying to diy your solar system batteries i have an idea for your system issue i dont know if its the best way to solve it or if will work but i think it will, you can have 2 diferent load panels and put one inverter in one panel and the other inverter in the other panel and you can put a meter in each line going to the panel not in the main line and like that you will have the correct reading in each meter like majic said separate the house into 2 systems.

Thanks, MajicDiver. Any chance you can publish a circuit diagram of your set up, for people like me that find it almost impossible to visualise this set up without a diagram?
As requested, here is one-line drawing of system. Its complex but my 17 year old understands it.

Attachments

• Solar-System-OneLine_R2_20230129.pdf
    143.2 KB · Views: 60
Hi, i recently got 3,2kW solar on ma garage, and a Growatt min 3000tl-xh inverter. It was a package deal so I did not choose the parts my self.
I would really like to add a battery to the equation, but then i found out that the inverter required high voltage batteries and not the more common 48V type. High voltage batteries are quite expensive. I was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative.

Then i stumbled upon this guy
he makes use of an old Nissan Leaf battery, which has high voltage (nominal 360V i think). I do not have a Nissan Leaf battery on hand, and I'm a little scared to get one and try out, Think it would be a little sketchy, and expensive to just try.

Any thoughts in the forum on this solution?

Any thoughts in the forum on this solution?
You would need to figure out how to communicate between the inverter and battery. I intend to at some point to try to reverse engineer the communication between my min-tl-xh-us inverters and batteries but I have not gotten time to put any serious effort into it. I currently have two 11.4kW inverters and 9.9x6=59.4kW-hr of ARO batteries- if I add more battery it will be a cheaper non-Growatt option just for the challenge. I’ve been running off grid with one grid tied to the other.
What I have learned that may be useful to you: 1)if you put 400 vdc on either of the inverter battery inputs with no PV attached and no battery communication connected the inverter will wake up and use it. 2) it seems that the inverter battery voltage output may increase above a threshold near 500 vdc when the inverter does not need battery power and has PV available to charge with - I have not done any testing to see if a communication link must exist to the battery for this to occur, I’ve just observed it happening a couple of times when I was checking voltages, I am thinking of attaching something to watch continuously. 3) I’m absolutely certain that a person with patience, plenty of spare time and an understanding of how modbus and CAN communication works could develop a way to do it.
But, it’s a very good system and works well and I’m very happy with it so far and I could afford it - the only reason I will eventually do it is for the challenge.
FYI, SanTan has recently been selling the 9.9kW ARO for $6.5k, which is best price I’ve seen from a US supplier.

I am working on setting up a growatt min 11400tl-xh-us inverter along with an ARO 9.9h-c1-us battery bank. Once I had the initial system running and commissioned, I found out that the expansion breaker on side of the primary ARO battery box was 51v. It is designed to add an additional ARO expansion battery box alongside the primary one with the high voltage transformer in it. What I decided to do is to order six of the EG4LL 48v batteries and add them in parallel with the original ARO battery bank. The ARO battery bank has a port labeled canbus to daisy chain to the Growatt expansion cabinet. I am not sure yet if I will be able to get all batteries talking to each other. I'll follow up with a progress report once all the wiring arrives. Any suggestions on the BMS would be appreciated.
Did you get anywhere on this project to get the batteries talking to each other?

You would need to figure out how to communicate between the inverter and battery. I intend to at some point to try to reverse engineer the communication between my min-tl-xh-us inverters and batteries but I have not gotten time to put any serious effort into it. I currently have two 11.4kW inverters and 9.9x6=59.4kW-hr of ARO batteries- if I add more battery it will be a cheaper non-Growatt option just for the challenge. I’ve been running off grid with one grid tied to the other.
What I have learned that may be useful to you: 1)if you put 400 vdc on either of the inverter battery inputs with no PV attached and no battery communication connected the inverter will wake up and use it. 2) it seems that the inverter battery voltage output may increase above a threshold near 500 vdc when the inverter does not need battery power and has PV available to charge with - I have not done any testing to see if a communication link must exist to the battery for this to occur, I’ve just observed it happening a couple of times when I was checking voltages, I am thinking of attaching something to watch continuously. 3) I’m absolutely certain that a person with patience, plenty of spare time and an understanding of how modbus and CAN communication works could develop a way to do it.
But, it’s a very good system and works well and I’m very happy with it so far and I could afford it - the only reason I will eventually do it is for the challenge.
FYI, SanTan has recently been selling the 9.9kW ARO for $6.5k, which is best price I’ve seen from a US supplier.
Hi, MajicDiver! Your lessons are very interesting.
What do you think will happen if I connect Growatt hybrid inverters with separate AC loads through DC battery out (drawing below)? Can they share the generated power?
I suppose the excess energy from one inverter (not consumed by AC load 1) should charge the battery and DC power should flow into second inverter if the AC load 2 is higher than the solar can produce.
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 09.55.44.png

What do you think will happen if I connect Growatt hybrid inverters with separate AC loads through DC battery out (drawing below)?
I don’t see how it could break anything trying, wire it up with a breaker between them and a clamp on amp meter so you can see what happens. Note that I was talking about the MIN-TL-XH-US inverter, the one in your drawing is the European version. I’ll probably try it this fall when it is nice mild temperature and put a 16 amp breaker between them. What ever the result is would be useful learning.

I don’t see how it could break anything trying, wire it up with a breaker between them and a clamp on amp meter so you can see what happens. Note that I was talking about the MIN-TL-XH-US inverter, the one in your drawing is the European version. I’ll probably try it this fall when it is nice mild temperature and put a 16 amp breaker between them. What ever the result is would be useful learning.
Do you think I can connect two MIN-TL-XH inverters to one battery?

Do you think I can connect two MIN-TL-XH inverters to one battery?
With the -US version I expect it would work, but you would be relying on the battery BMS to prevent discharge rate being too high. The reason I believe it would work is I inadvertently wired an ARO battery to one inverter and plugged the communication cable of another inverter into the battery- the battery woke up and provided discharge, and the inverter it was wired to used it.

It's been a while since anyone added to this thread. Has anyone figured out how to add non-Growatt batteries to the MIN TL-XH Growatt inverters? (besides LG RESU batteries which are also pricey).

It's been a while since anyone added to this thread. Has anyone figured out how to add non-Growatt batteries to the MIN TL-XH Growatt inverters? (besides LG RESU batteries which are also pricey).
I'm also very interested in this idea. I just can't spend thousands of dollars hoping it will work lol.

Reactions: EdB
I'm also very interested in this idea. I just can't spend thousands of dollars hoping it will work lol.
There are a lot of people on this forum (including the owner) who make income on 48 vdc battery equipment in various ways. It would be nice to see one of them realize they could sell a device that would sit between a set of “generic” 48 volt DC battery and several of the more popular inverters with high voltage batteries.

Typical DC-DC converters only work in forward direction. High power bidirectional DC-DC converters would be required for these HV Growatt inverters to work with 48v batteries. They are not simple or cheap to design and make. If they were Growatt would have included one in the inverter like others (e.g. Solark, EG4, etc.).

You could try emailing or calling Growatt sales and see what they might tell you. You never know what secret option someone might accidently tell you about.

I believe its purpose was for the non-US versions of the inverter, to directly charge the ML33RTA batteries, which are the batteries inside the ARO Battery cabinets. I believe if you search on ML33RTA you will find non-US sites and forums that reference that charger. I have not looked in a while but I know a couple of years ago I found European forums with pictures folks had posted of their installation using it.

Attachments

• Growatt-USA-Contacts.jpg
    Growatt-USA-Contacts.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: EdB
I have one of the ML33RTA batteries .i got the min 11.6-us inverter, the the transformer and battery all brand new for $800 but im still stuck. The Min3000BDCBL is only 3kw capable but can be stacked . the webpage that posted the pages i linked is from austraia

I believe there is a similar LG battery that will work with it. But the choices are limited...

diy solar

diy solar
Back