diy solar

diy solar

Growatt - Odd behavior

So for a 48v 8X12v LiPo4 batteries what should I set the float voltage to, at the moment is 56.8v

Not sure about the relays; I charge only from solar and have no relay noise other than when solar starts charging in the morning. Regarding float voltage I have mine set to 54V, higher and you risk shortening battery life for little or none storage gain.

54V, higher and you risk shortening battery life for little or none storage gain.
Could you please point me to where this is documented ? As it goes against every thing I have read, a float of 54 = 3.4v per cell, where 56 = 3.5v and is considered an 80% charge

Got it working good now, please see my other post on how I did it.

Last edited:
I got the data from Chins directly. I have attached a pic of the info they sent me. I have the Growatt 3k 48v version setup by these settings as per recommendations. The chart you attached to your post seems pretty accurate but not sure if it applies to specific batteries. The ones I use are the standard 100ah LiPo4 batteries that they manufacture, which in my opinion are a good choice for the price. Performance wise I have to give them credit, during their capacity test I was able to get 110ah from each one of them. I do have questions about their recommended settings. I find that the low voltage cut off is kind of high, don't it? I guess that would depend on the BMS specs. The Growatt manual says 42v should be the cutoff and Chins says 46.4v which seems high to me, but then again Growatt might be talking about some other type of batteries that the BMS is set to 42v before disconnecting the battery to avoid possible issues. The one issue that bugs me is that by setting a float voltage on the Growatt the inverter will keep the charge level at the float charge, which is by design, but in my case I use the inverter to supplement the 3 ton house unit that sucks around 25-30kw of energy a day, during Summer. I also noticed that when the batteries reach float the inverter starts supplying power with the batteries even though I have it setup to use PV energy as priority, once the batteries reach above float it switches back to PV. Any comments on that? why does it uses battery power when PV power is available, maybe clouds going over? I do have an Enphase IQ PV 5kw system but is grid tied so if power goes out that's it. By doing so I can trim the 3 tons consumption by 5kw per day which I think is worth it, since is a 2 story house it keeps the upstairs cooler too. I use a small split unit from 9:00 AM til 6:00 PM when temps start going down, this is Texas and in the Summer temps hover around high 90s and some days up to 105F like last month, temps went above 105F and the power went out several times. While everyone was out of power I was brewing coffee and stuff! But anyways, when the batteries drop down below float charge the relays start clicking I guess is charging while discharging (when running loads) not sure if the the Growatt switch from charger to inverter modes in specific cycle or sequence. anyways ant tips or questions would be highly appreciated! I'm trying to learn how This Growatt works in great detail and hopefully to understand it better! Overall I like it so far, I just hope it last to recoup the investment at least, I will see!
This follows what my manufacture says,I have found 3 different voltage sets for various cells. 3 to 3.6, 3 to 3.65, 3.2 to 3.65, it would also seem to age the cells as well. Your Chins cells are the newer 3.2 to 3.65 cells 3.2 x 16 = 51.2, mine are the older 3 to 3.6 cells

It is because of this, settings should reflect what actual battery is in use rather than what an internet meme says

Chins is saying don't discharge below 2.9 (46.4) reconnect is 3.1 (49.6) and your warning is at 3.2 (51.2) which would be your 0% SOC

And by no means am I knocking folks that go to 2.5, I'm merely curious as to how it will affect total lifespan ? Does any one know of any one that has gotten 3000+ cycles discharging to 2.5 ?

This follows what my manufacture says,I have found 3 different voltage sets for various cells. 3 to 3.6, 3 to 3.65, 3.2 to 3.65, it would also seem to age the cells as well. Your Chins cells are the newer 3.2 to 3.65 cells 3.2 x 16 = 51.2, mine are the older 3 to 3.6 cells

It is because of this, settings should reflect what actual battery is in use rather than what an internet meme says

Chins is saying don't discharge below 2.9 (46.4) reconnect is 3.1 (49.6) and your warning is at 3.2 (51.2) which would be your 0% SOC

And by no means am I knocking folks that go to 2.5, I'm merely curious as to how it will affect total lifespan ? Does any one know of any one that has gotten 3000+ cycles discharging to 2.5 ?
That would be good to know, Some say they will break apart before the capacity is diminish, I've had some LiOn batteries for about 6 years and slowly but surely their capacity has diminish but they still run my lights and small appliances just fine during emergency situations for days at a time, so I'm keeping them for now. As technology advance I'm pretty sure the capacity and capabilities of the "future" batteries will get better, hopefully to the point were EVs can go from West to East coast (USA) in one charge during a piss stop at the local market and the EV will pay and keep you informed, just stop the car on top of the designated charging area and go take a piss, when you come back the car is fully charged and ready to go! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
that user is having more difficulty in the morning with his system starting... I only had an issue twice in the am. My bigger issue is at / around 1 - 2 pm in the afternoon the batteries are fully charged. When they hit full charge the mppt controller turn off and the entire unit goes into battery consumption even when there is a nominal load on the system that the solar can easily handle... it's infuriating to see this happen . if I power cycle the unit it goes right back to using the panels, charging the batteries a bit more and carrying the nominal.
This is exactly what happens with mine, once the batteries are full while on PV priority and PV energy available it starts drawing from the batteries. I'm not sure if this is by design or if there is a glitch in the firmware. We will see.

Last edited:
What voltage have you observed MPPT charging stopping and what voltage is it resuming? How many watt-hrs of load are then supplied by battery in the time between stop and resumption of charge and what percentage of your total energy storage does this represent?

The charging behavior you are observing appears normal for Growatt, what is unclear is if the trigger for resuming charge is simply a voltage drop below setting 19 or 20, or drop in SOC , or some combination of factors.

Yes it would be nice if when setting 14 is set to OSO, (solar charging only), MPPT charging remained active as long as solar was available, but this behavior does not result in a material reduction in energy harvest or overall system performance, at least not on my system. Not suggesting that is the case for everyone, but on most days my system has to curtail charging as PV input far exceeds load demand so its not like I am loosing significant energy harvest..
I don't have that much room to put more panels up and 1Kw of PV is working for me specially in good sunny days, but in TX gets hot so panel output is reduced then clouds, rain, storms, bird poop, you name it is takes away, so I need all I can get.

I got the data from Chins directly. I have attached a pic of the info they sent me. I have the Growatt 3k 48v version setup by these settings as per recommendations. The chart you attached to your post seems pretty accurate but not sure if it applies to specific batteries. The ones I use are the standard 100ah LiPo4 batteries that they manufacture, which in my opinion are a good choice for the price. Performance wise I have to give them credit, during their capacity test I was able to get 110ah from each one of them. I do have questions about their recommended settings. I find that the low voltage cut off is kind of high, don't it? I guess that would depend on the BMS specs. The Growatt manual says 42v should be the cutoff and Chins says 46.4v which seems high to me, but then again Growatt might be talking about some other type of batteries that the BMS is set to 42v before disconnecting the battery to avoid possible issues. The one issue that bugs me is that by setting a float voltage on the Growatt the inverter will keep the charge level at the float charge, which is by design, but in my case I use the inverter to supplement the 3 ton house unit that sucks around 25-30kw of energy a day, during Summer which is offset by the grid tied PV system, most of the time but in some clowdy, rainy days or even too hot days the output could be lower and that's where the mini split unit comes in. I also noticed that when the batteries reach float the inverter starts supplying power with the batteries even though I have it setup to use PV energy as priority, once the batteries reach above float it switches back to PV. Any comments on that? Why does it uses battery power when PV power is available, maybe clouds going over?

DC bus is all ganged on one bus. If the load is more than PV can supply, the net result is a drain on batteries.

I do have an Enphase IQ PV 5kw system but is grid tied so if power goes out that's it. By doing so I can trim the 3 tons consumption by 5kw per day which I think is worth it, since is a 2 story house it keeps the upstairs cooler too. I use a small split unit from 9:00 AM til 6:00 PM when temps start going down, this is Texas and in the Summer temps hover around high 90s and some days up to 105F like last month, temps went above 105F and the power went out several times. While everyone was out of power I was brewing coffee and stuff! But anyways, when the batteries drop down below float charge the relays start clicking I guess is charging while discharging (when running loads) not sure if the the Growatt switch from charger to inverter modes in specific cycle or sequence. anyways ant tips or questions would be highly appreciated! I'm trying to learn how This Growatt works in great detail and hopefully to understand it better! Overall I like it so far, I just hope it last to recoup the investment at least, I will see!

Could you tell me which battery/cell manufacture put this out ?
Sorry, this table is generic for LiFePO4 batteries. As it is the battery chemistry that sets the voltage curve this should be applicable to most manufactures with slight variation.

I disagree, the Growatt should be acting exactly like he wants it to.

I have an MPP LV6548, which I understand is a different brand, but they are very similar in so many ways. And it does exactly what he wants. If my batteries get to 100% by 2pm (which is everyday), then it dials back the MPPT output to exactly match the load, but it never turns it off and expects to use the battery power and waste free PV energy.
Maybe you hit the nail in the head, I'm new to Growatt, I have the 3k 48v, and I set it up according to the manufactures specs, and they are similar, I think they come out the same door where they make them put a different decal and colors and out they go. But anyways, there is a setting let me check the manual, it allows the MPPT to adjust the output according to the load and that might be the answer to this issue where the MPPT shuts down and batteries starts supplying the loads even while on PV only priority! OK the setting is 22 on the Growatt 3k 48v unit, (solar power balance), I have that disabled but default is enabled, I'm going to change that back to default and see how it reacts. Hopefully they behavior will change for better. This is an update, after setting back to the default on 22, the Growatt still doing the same thing. if someone could shine some light on the following i would appreciated. I'm thinking that you have to have a high enough load for the MPPT to continue working, if that load is not high enough it will shut down, and the batteries will maintain the unit since is the only option that will provide the power necessary to maintain normal operation, the Growatt consumes between 40-65 watts on stand by mode which is not enough to keep the MPPT on, and it will shut down because there is no load high enough to operate. Maybe?

Last edited:
just wanted to post an update. I'm not declaring victory yet but Snoobler and Lt. Dan's posting of their settings were incredibly useful. I changed my unit setting 5 from USE2 to USE and (granted with only 1 day of observations under my belt) the unit appears to be behaving in a manner more consistent with my expectations. I really can't thank folks enough to taking the time to share their info and just the overall community of folks kicking in ideas and their own observations. I am not sure what the difference in USE vs USE2 actually is but it seems to lock bulk and float. It may do other things as well... in addition to the use setting I also was then able to adjust bulk and float so that there was some voltage difference between the two. In USE2 it appears the float voltage is completely locked to the Bulk voltage. IE I could not change the float voltage. well I could change it. save it and when I would navigate away and back or look at it on pvkeeper2 it would be set back to 19 (bulk) setting.
Same here, I'm still trying other things, but might end up changing the USE2 to USE mode and hopefully get this issue solved.

USE is the correct setting when using non-Growatt LiFePO4 battery

thats interesting. I have 2 of the growatts. but have only put one of them into service. I'm surprised I am not seeing more posts regarding this behavior... I see so few posts that I can't determine if it's a product failure, me misunderstanding how it should act or if it's user error as I am pretty new to all of this... a bit frustrating if I'm to be honest
I feel the same way. The only thing we can do to escape that feeling is do extensive research. Love it. Know it.

hi everyone. Anyone have experience with Growwatt batteries with this problem. Seems that they are lower voltage. 48 to 57.6v. I am new and got my system together now by the time it goes dark batteries are on 90%.

I have the 48v, 3.3kw growwatthope 3.3 batteries 2 of them.

I used the li setting but can not change any settings with regards to float.

I tried the use setting that everyone says and that just made the battery give a error and reset my system because if I change the voltage settings it changes back a few seconds later.

Must i plug the LAN cable out of the batteries that goes to the inverter?

My main issue is that i can not change the bulk voltage to stop the error, then i also can not change the cutoff or back to utility.

thank you

hi everyone. Anyone have experience with Growwatt batteries with this problem. Seems that they are lower voltage. 48 to 57.6v. I am new and got my system together now by the time it goes dark batteries are on 90%.

I have the 48v, 3.3kw growwatthope 3.3 batteries 2 of them.

I used the li setting but can not change any settings with regards to float.

I tried the use setting that everyone says and that just made the battery give a error and reset my system because if I change the voltage settings it changes back a few seconds later.

Must i plug the LAN cable out of the batteries that goes to the inverter?

My main issue is that i can not change the bulk voltage to stop the error, then i also can not change the cutoff or back to utility.

thank you
I'm not an expert on the Growatt yet! But in trying to understand better, do you have the WIFI dongle? Do you have access to the data chart on battery consumption? I think that would be a good start. About your question on the LAN cable, I would think that it would be the best thing to do, disconnect the communications cable so that you might be able to change the settings, otherwise the battery will retain it's default settings, it is my understanding that these batteries come with a default preset and so is the Growatt unit, their firmware dictates what settings you can change or not. I have the Growatt 3kw unit 48v and there are settings that can not be change depending on your selected options. In my case while using the US2 mode option 5, (since I use standard 100ah LiPo4 batteries) as you can see in the picture attached to this post, if I try to change the float to other than the max charging voltage it will default back to max charging voltage and it won't allow any difference on those 2 numbers. I'm pretty sure Growatt knows a lot of users are not too happy about this but it is what it is and I'm sure they got strong reason(s) for this. Hopefully they will find a better solution to this sooner than later. Please as I said is hard to visualize your situation just by reading text and please understand that any changes made by you are of your choice. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 20220810_160825.jpg
    20220810_160825.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm not an expert on the Growatt yet! But in trying to understand better, do you have the WIFI dongle? Do you have access to the data chart on battery consumption? I think that would be a good start. About your question on the LAN cable, I would think that it would be the best thing to do, disconnect the communications cable so that you might be able to change the settings, otherwise the battery will retain it's default settings, it is my understanding that these batteries come with a default preset and so is the Growatt unit, their firmware dictates what settings you can change or not. I have the Growatt 3kw unit 48v and there are settings that can not be change depending on your selected options. In my case while using the US2 mode option 5, (since I use standard 100ah LiPo4 batteries) as you can see in the picture attached to this post, if I try to change the float to other than the max charging voltage it will default back to max charging voltage and it won't allow any difference on those 2 numbers. I'm pretty sure Gorwatt knows a lot of users are not too happy about this but it is what it is and I'm sure they got strong reason(s) for this. Hopefully they will find a better solution to this sooner than later. Please as I said is hard to visualize your situation just by reading text and please understand that any changes made by you are of your choice. Hope that helps.
Unfortunately I do not have the Wi-Fi dongle. I use PV keeper 2 to set the settings.

Using if I use user without the bms cable the batt % is 69696, in user2 I can use it but at 75% it says 100% and after 30 mint the 1 battery gieves r/a fault on battery led. All tis was done with NO BMS cable connected.

The float and bulk is the same because I can not use decimal values in this mode... Float and bulk both on 54volt when battery error occurs, same happens on 55 volt.

Attached are images of my settings.

Could the battery have an issue?

With Li setting and bms cable plugged in all works 100% but I cant set the bulk and float value. They are default set to 56.8v on both but battery only charges to around 55v when I monitor it.

Attachments

• 20220809_095142.jpg
    20220809_095142.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220809_095256.jpg
    20220809_095256.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220809_095305.jpg
    20220809_095305.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220809-102038_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-102038_Gallery.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220809-102140_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-102140_Gallery.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 8
Hello all and thank you for the comments I have learnt a lot here.

I have 2 GW 5000 ES installed in Parallel with 2 x Blue Carbon 48V 200Ah Lithium Battery Pack For Solar Home System. PVs are Mono 10 x 550W. 5 panels each in series to each Inverter.

The Lithium batteries claim to have a built in MPPT and BMS https://www.bctvnergy.com/lithium-b...ue-carbon-48v-200ah-lithium-battery-pack.html

I have had the same issue with the Inverter drawing power from the batteries while having excess Solar under USER2 and this was changed to USER. I have Setting 1 – SUB and Charging priority has Solar + U. (I am more concerned about availability than cost we have a lot of power cuts here).

The Bulk charge is set to 58V and Float to 57 using USER Setting not USER2. While the charging behavior has improved from when it was set to USER2. The Inverter seems to STILL be cycling between battery charging and discharge, so SOC is moving between 100% and 75%. I think anything below 57V is seen as 75%. However, Battery Voltage as read from the Battery Panel remains around 55V i.e. it is definitely not getting to 75% even though the Inverter shows 75%.

Several questions.

• Battery has its own MPPT. Should I rewire and bypass the GW MPPT? Please review the Link to the battery specs.
  • Battery has it own BMS … Standing Charging Voltage as per Battery spec: 57.6V – 60V. (again Inverter Bulk is set at 58V and Float is 57V) .. are these correct given the battery specs?
  • Will the constant cycles between 100% and 75% damage the batteries? Even though the Battery has a built in BMS and remains at 54.8 through the charge/discharge cycles.
  • Battery to mains working point is set to 46V and Mains to battery operating point is 54.8V. Are these correct or optimal? I really don’t understand these 2 parameters.
Comments most appreciated. (Excuse typos)

Attachments

• Power Profile August 9 2022.png
    Power Profile August 9 2022.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 11
  • SOC August 9 2022.png
    SOC August 9 2022.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 11
  • GW Profile.pdf
    142.5 KB · Views: 17
Unfortunately I do not have the Wi-Fi dongle. I use PV keeper 2 to set the settings.

Using if I use user without the bms cable the batt % is 69696, in user2 I can use it but at 75% it says 100% and after 30 mint the 1 battery gieves r/a fault on battery led. All tis was done with NO BMS cable connected.

The float and bulk is the same because I can not use decimal values in this mode... Float and bulk both on 54volt when battery error occurs, same happens on 55 volt.

Attached are images of my settings.

Could the battery have an issue?

With Li setting and bms cable plugged in all works 100% but I cant set the bulk and float value. They are default set to 56.8v on both but battery only charges to around 55v when I monitor it.
OK, the WIFI dongle helps but is not necessary unless you can't see the little letters and numbers on the unit's screen, but it does offer a more simplified solution in my case. I took a peak at the batteries, do they have 2 different capacities on these batteries? Says that they have an MPPT controller built in! Having 2 MPPT controllers should not be a problem, a true MPPT controller will do a good job at sharing the input voltage (with another MPPT controller) from the different energy source(s), these could be a battery or solar panels, turbine etc... Everything point to the settings either on the Growatt or the battery of both. The program you use, is that data from the battery's BMS, how are you connecting to communicate, hardwired, Bluetooth? Just as a side note, I have never seen my batteries go all the way up to 56.8v either specially when the manufacturer says the over voltage protection kicks in at around 56.4v, the highest I have seen it is around 55.4v (while charging) once they are at 100% supposedly, and the charger stops, they come back down to around 54.4v and rest there. Let's kick this around some more and see if someone else might have ideas on how to solve this. Cheers!

Back