diy solar

diy solar

Growatt - Odd behavior

Very interesting Thread as I just ran into this behavior today after switching my inverter to LiFePO4 batteries from AGM batteries. With tha LA batteries always being in a state of charge my inverter did not just turn off the PV production as it does now with the lithium batteries. Glad that others had noticed this happening and wrote about it.

Looks like I need more load on my system than the 100 to 150w I average.

Can the fans be changed to produce less noise from spf6000dvm?
I added 2 X 80 or 90 mm computer fans whown in the picture attached with a 12v plugin power supply for computer fans they fit on top each side there are vents make them to exhaust the hot air, I can pull 20-40A all day long and can barely hear the Growatt's fans. Growatt's fans are loud and on my unit there is a wobble noise that echos all around, but they are specifically designed for the Growatt and their plugs are different, this is based on other comments I have read so please don't quote me on it. My solve was to add 2 very quiet 80mm fans to both vents on top to pull hot air by increasing air flow. Works like a charm. Do a search on this, I have 4 of these running up to 3 fans each and are very compact and with splitters you can run 2 or 3 X 80 or 90 mm fans no prob.

Coolerguys 12V Fan Power Supply​

Attachments

• Cropped with fans.jpg
    Cropped with fans.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks to anyone that can provide some input. I have a Growatt 24v SPF 3000TL LVM in service. I built 2 24 v batteries from CALB 100AH cells and 24v overkillsolar bms. I have a single critical circuit in my home I am wanting to power from this unit. (Computers, WIFI etc.) I also have 4 renogy 320 Watt panels 2p2s. I top balanced the cells and batteries as per will's video. I monitor the BMS' using an apple IPAD. I have the relevant parameters on the Growatt set as follows:
Option: 19 (CV) - 27.3, 20 (Float) - 27.3 21 (Batt Undervoltage) 22.9

here is a video of the BMS on the ipad and the screen of the growatt. There is also a renogy guage on the unit - ignore the AH 100%. I have yet to actually set it up with full and empty settings but the power and volt measurement is accurate. Just the AH guage part is not dialed in

here is the relevent entries from the pvmonitor program from ian.
View attachment 48943

Here's the issue... early in the morning the the sun comes up and 80% of the time the charger starts creeping up naturally. But twice now I have came out at 9 am ish or so and no solar charging going on... if I reboot the growatt it powers up and will quickly start charging the batteries and powering the load. It continues powering and charging through the day... then about 1 pm generally the unit stops charging the batteries (IE it reaches the CV amount) and the solar charge controller seems to full on stop. The load is transferred to the batteries. Though there is many hours of sunlight left the unit does not use that solar power at all. I can see the line from the panels disappear and the amps and watts go to zero. IF I manually power cycle the unit it will power on and start charging the batteries and carry the load again for a while.

The video shows this happening at 30 second into the short video. You can see from the growatt screen that the battery voltage the unit sees has hit 27.3. at that moment the unit stops using solar power for anything. My understanding is that it should continue to use solar to power the load until solar alone was not sufficient and that it would then augment the solar with battery power... but it appears that the solar just gets completely dropped...

I can provide additional detail if needed... thoughts? ideas? hints or tips?
This normal I have 2 in parallel, change to SOL and PV will power first then BAT if needed.MY battery is fully charged and only using Solar unless Panels can provide enough power.

Just wanted to express my appreciation for those in this thread who put the miles in to diagnose and understand the issue of Growatt inverters ceasing solar production/charging. I was stuck on this same issue until coming across this thread. I made the recommended adjustments and now it's all working perfectly. Thank you.

Thank you all, took me some time but I read all the thread, I had flooded batteries and all was working OK, I changed to LIPOFE4 andstarting seeing what is described here when using USE2 (not charging while sun was out and using batteries to power my loads), I did the suggested changes and system is now behaving as before. thanks all for sharing

Hello everyone thats been participating in this thread - I am upgrading my system from the Growatt to the EG4 6500EX units so I won't have any additional updates for this thread from the Growatt perspective. I'll also be selling my 2 Growatt units. I'm glad this thread was so useful to folks!

Hello everyone thats been participating in this thread - I am upgrading my system from the Growatt to the EG4 6500EX units so I won't have any additional updates for this thread from the Growatt perspective. I'll also be selling my 2 Growatt units. I'm glad this thread was so useful to folks!
I also sold out my Growatt and went back to Schneider. Too many issues and def too much operating fan noise

I actually really like my Growatt unit(s) - I say units because I only ever deployed the 1 - the other I had purchased for pairing but didn't actually deploy it. The experience with the Growatt devices gave me confidence to step up to a larger system. I never personally had any problems with the sound from the fans; my deployed unit was in the garage but I know there were reports of the units having loud fans. Ultimately there were lots of suggestions on mitigating that but bummer Growatt couldn't have got that right and the USE vs USE2 setting suggestions they kept getting wrong. Once I got to the point of deciding to purchase server rack batteries and invest significant money it was clear I needed to go 48v and thus needed new Inverters etc. But honestly the Growatt, for the money are good small to mid size systems. IMHO...

I actually really like my Growatt unit(s) - I say units because I only ever deployed the 1 - the other I had purchased for pairing but didn't actually deploy it. The experience with the Growatt devices gave me confidence to step up to a larger system. I never personally had any problems with the sound from the fans; my deployed unit was in the garage but I know there were reports of the units having loud fans. Ultimately there were lots of suggestions on mitigating that but bummer Growatt couldn't have got that right and the USE vs USE2 setting suggestions they kept getting wrong. Once I got to the point of deciding to purchase server rack batteries and invest significant money it was clear I needed to go 48v and thus needed new Inverters etc. But honestly the Growatt, for the money are good small to mid size systems. IMHO...
I have the Growatt spf 5000 es. I have removed ac in. I have found with ac out going to the auto transformer then my load is the solution. It performs great. I power mini splits,freezer,refrigerator and microwave,flawlessly. Once I realized the grid bs transfer bypass was the problem. I have a lifepo4 48v 200amh battery. I do have manual transfer switch that I use when I go to grid. I only use at night when grid is down. If grid down during the day I never notice,except other homes looking for relief from the heat.

Revisiting the topic of what settings will prevent Growatt SPF inverters from switching from solar to battery power after batteries reach the absorption charging voltage setpoint even when there is ample solar to power loads (thereby drawing down battery even thought ample solar is available). Over the past couple of years I have tried every conceivable setting but never hit on the right settings that prevent this from happening. I did manage to find settings that for the most part worked for my application and this has worked for years. Recently I increased my battery capacity (from 560ah to 840ah) and now the problem is back. By mid morning my batteries are charged, solar charging turns off and batteries are being discharged to power loads. But now because of larger battery the system will run on battery the rest of the day whereas in the past solar charging would resume on most days. (I assume because with larger battery the battery voltage does not fall as fast after charging is stopped)

My settings shown below. Battery bank is 3 parallel strings of 16 EVE 280AH cells connected to 2 Growatt SPF 3000 inverters operating in parallel.

So reaching out to see if anyone has finally hit on the right combination of settings to prevent this odd charging behavior from occurring. Or should I try updating the firmware to a newer version..

1671458497231.png

Revisiting the topic of what settings will prevent Growatt SPF inverters from switching from solar to battery power after batteries reach the absorption charging voltage setpoint even when there is ample solar to power loads (thereby drawing down battery even thought ample solar is available). Over the past couple of years I have tried every conceivable setting but never hit on the right settings that prevent this from happening. I did manage to find settings that for the most part worked for my application and this has worked for years. Recently I increased my battery capacity (from 560ah to 840ah) and now the problem is back. By mid morning my batteries are charged, solar charging turns off and batteries are being discharged to power loads. But now because of larger battery the system will run on battery the rest of the day whereas in the past solar charging would resume on most days. (I assume because with larger battery the battery voltage does not fall as fast after charging is stopped)

My settings shown below. Battery bank is 3 parallel strings of 16 EVE 280AH cells connected to 2 Growatt SPF 3000 inverters operating in parallel.

So reaching out to see if anyone has finally hit on the right combination of settings to prevent this odd charging behavior from occurring. Or should I try updating the firmware to a newer version..

View attachment 125320

Last edited:
With the flat discharge curve I could see this as a problem. One possible avenue would be to be able to cut off part of the bank and thus the remaining bank would hit the float setting sooner allowing loads to be powered by the GW.

View attachment 125320
Try changing your Output Source Priority to Solar/Battery/Utility (SBU) instead of Solar First and see if that fixes your issue.

Try changing your Output Source Priority to Solar/Battery/Utility (SBU) instead of Solar First and see if that fixes your issue.

I'll give that a try. Why do you think SBU would make a difference vs Solar First?

Changed to SBU from Solar First; did not solve the issue; charging stopped and loads powered by battery only...

If it was set for SUB without a grid source, I wonder how it would work. Probably the same but worth a try if that option is available. It's been awhile since I looked at different settings.

I think with the extra battery capacity, you will have to find a way for the GW to think the battery bank is at float.

Changed to SBU from Solar First; did not solve the issue; charging stopped and loads powered by battery only...
Interesting. I'd contact Growatt USA directly and see if there is a firmware update that addresses the issue. I had them send me an update for my SPF8000T which fixed numerous issues. I've attached pictures of my settings as well as a graph of our house running on purely solar after the batteries were fully charged by 11am. We only have 400ah of battery but I don't know why extra capacity would have any affect on solar vs battery operation once the batteries are fully charged.mySPF settings.JPG122022running on solar only.JPG

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say that the various different lines of SPF inverters from Growatt have differing charging algorithms, so my advice below might not work for everyone.
After experiencing the same problems described by apctjb, I've done a lot of experimentation with my SPF 3500 ES and have landed on the following settings, which work very reliably:

Program 01 (Output source priority): SBU
Program 02 (Maximum charging current): 60A
Program 03 (AC input voltage range): APL
Program 04 (Power saving mode enable/disable): DIS
Program 05 (Battery type): USE
Program 06 (Auto restart when overload occurs): DIS
Program 07 (Auto restart when over temperature occurs: DIS
Program 08 (Output voltage): 230V
Program 09 (Output frequency: 50
Program 10 (Number of series batteries connected): 4
Program 11 (Maximum utility charging current): 10A
Program 12 (Setting voltage point back to utility source 44.0V~51.2V): 44V
Program 13 (Setting voltage point back to battery mode 48.0V~58.0V): 48V
Program 14 (Charger source priority): OSO
Program 15 (Alarm control): OFF
Program 16 (Backlight control): ON
Program 17 (Beeps while primary source is interrupted): OFF
Program 18 (Overload bypass): DIS
Program 19 (C.V. charging voltage): 55.0V
Program 20 (Floating charging voltage): 54.6V

Program 21 (Low DC cut-off voltage): 40.0V
Program 43 (Battery equalization): DIS
Program 44 (Battery equalization voltage): N/A

As far as I can tell, only program 02, 05, 19 and 20 have any effect on the charging algorithm, however I've included all my settings just to be complete. Obviously it's set up for my specific purposes and all these settings aren't appropriate for everyone.

Programs 19 and 20 need to be carefully tuned to your battery pack. Even 0.1v variation in these settings can make a large impact to the way your inverter operates. I'm yet to figure out all the intricacies of the algorithm (e.g. what defines the duration of the absorption and float cycles), but the most important factors are below:

• Program 05 (USE) is very important. The manual claims that US2 is for lithium batteries, however I've never seen US2 working reliably. USE works well when considering the points below.
  • The charger will go through three stages: bulk (constant current - program 02), absorption (constant voltage - program 19) and float (program 20):

1671620332883.png
  • The charging algorithm ceases solar input if the battery voltage remains higher than the float voltage after absorption charging is complete. Therefore, Program 19 and Program 20 (voltages for absorption and float respectively) must be close together, and must also be close to the "knee" of your battery charging curve. This is to ensure the battery voltage naturally and quickly drops to a lower level during the transition from bulk to float charging voltage. A difference between these settings of more than about 0.5v on my system will prevent solar from powering loads after charging is complete. 0.5v will float my batteries for an hour or two in the morning, then stop charging while still powering the loads from solar for the rest of the day. 0.4v will float my batteries for most of the day.
  • If the above conditions are satisfied and solar input is still operating after a charging cycle completes, the charger will restart a bulk/absorption/float cycle again when the battery voltage drops 2v below Program 19. This should only occur if solar energy isn't sufficient to power your loads, or the battery has otherwise discharged a bit.

Therefore, when troubleshooting these issues, check the following:
  • Make sure USE is selected for Program 05.
  • Set the voltage for program 19 slightly above the knee in the charging curve of your batteries, and set program 20 about 0.5v less than program 19. Setting program 20 too low will not allow the batteries to drop their voltage far enough in the transition between absorption and float modes. 3.4375v per cell for program 19 is about as low as I've been able to reliably operate. Setting program 20 too high risks damage to your cells.
  • When working with such small refinements, every battery pack will be different. Adjust in small increments until you've found your sweet spot.

Edit: I should note that my charging voltages are very conservative. Some people may choose much higher voltages, however I prefer to keep them low to reduce any chance of stressing the cells. A very high SOC can still be achieved at about 3.43v per cell with slightly more charging time, which is fine for my use case.

Last edited:
@apctjb is well aware of how these operate regarding bulk and float charging. and how float needs to be set close to bulk charge setting. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/help-wanted-growatt-mppt-users.19369/

The problem is with a large capacity bank, the voltage will not drop from bulk to float very fast due to the discharge curve unless the pack is run up into the knee area, thus the SCC remains shut down. It ends up a balancing act for bank longevity vs hitting float voltage setting for the SCC to turn back on.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say that the various different lines of SPF inverters from Growatt have differing charging algorithms, so my advice below might not work for everyone.
After experiencing the same problems described by apctjb, I've done a lot of experimentation with my SPF 3500 ES and have landed on the following settings, which work very reliably:

Shopman, Octal_IP and others: Thank you for the thoughtful responses. It is members like you which take the time to respond that make this forum great.

Agree that very small changes in the settings 19, 20 make a big difference, and until I added battery capacity I had found settings that worked reliably for me. It appears that the added battery capacity has changed the voltage curve for my system and now my battery voltage remains higher than the float voltage after absorption charging and disconnects from solar until the voltage drops to approx. 52.5V which can be a long time with my loads and larger LiFePO4 battery bank . I also am conservative in my settings and do not want to push voltage settings higher than 55V so may be screwed, but will see.

Hard to believe that Growatt is not aware of this and has not addressed this issue via a firmware update. Perhaps they have but I have not been able to find any info on what updates are available and what issues they fix.

@shopman; you suggested I'd contact Growatt USA directly. Can you provide the contact email you used. I tried in the past but never got a response.

Thanks

Back