diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPA3000 not working with rack battery

terribleocotpus

I've had a Growatt SPA3000 installed with the Topband RS-R 5.12kWh rack batt connected over CAN. I've not yet had luck from either manufacturer for support. The Topband BMS is advertised as supporting Growatt inverters.

The SPA3000 does not show any fault code, but the Cb/Vb is listed as 0v, the inverter remains in standby, and no battery charge status shows on the display. The inverter will not charge or discharge the batt.

The DIP switches are set per the manual, and if I change them I do get a 'BMS Comms' fault so I assume that they are talking when on the right setting as this fault clears.

Is there any setup I am missing? Much of the material I can find seems to be for one of the other Growatt inverters (eg. SPF) with different settings that let you pick CAN protocol, eg. L51/L52. I cannot find this setting on the SPA, only changing the 'mode type' with a battery option for Lithium or Lead-acid. The batt type is set to Lithium.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The SPA3000 seems to have pretty limited settings. Can I set the batt type to Lead-Acid and just set the correct parameters, as a fallback if can't get the BMS talking? Is this workable?

From Growatt's manual:

1706450589415.png

Assume CV = charge voltage, CC = charge current, and LV = cut off?

The battery specs are given as:

1706450671637.png

I don't know enough about batts to know if this is safe. But I can see the batt specs list charge voltage as 56V but the inverter looks to bottom out at 57.6V, so not sure this would work either.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Back