diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000 TL-HVM-24 Low Generator Charging Current

Level510

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I'm having. I am new to the forum but am not new to off-grid solar having 10+ years installing off-grid systems (Mostly Victron and am Victron Certified) A friend told me to try Growatt as an inverter for an off-grid house and so far I'm not impressed. I have searched for an answer to an issue I'm having with a new Growatt Install. One other user reported the same issue on another forum and never received a response. I have sent multiple requests to their tech support email and so far nothing back.

The problem is with a Growatt SPF 3000-TL HVM-24. This is a new installation. This unit will not charge with a generator any more than +/-300w. The PV side of the system works perfectly and I frequently see 1Kw. The low charge current is day or night, ie no PV input. the generator will happily pass through around 3kw but still only charge at 300w. No matter what load I apply I still get around 300w charge to the batteries.

System:

Generator - I have tried 2x generators 1x 20KVa and one 8Kva - Same results for both

Battery Bank - 6x 200ah Lead Carbon6 months old in almost new condition

Battery Cable: 50mm2

Off-Grid no Utility Line power available

WIFI option - Not installed

Settings

I have done multiple factory resets. Current setting are:

1 - SBU
2 - 80Amp
3 - GEN
4 - SDS
5 - AGM (I have tried USE with customs settings)
6 - Ltd
7 - ttd
8 - 240v
9 50hz
10 - No 2 (Cannot Change)
11 - 30a
12 - 23.0v (Tried various settings)
13 - 27.0v (tried various settings)
14 - SNU (tried various settings)
15 - BOF
16 - LON
17 - AOF
18 - byd
19 - 28.2v (
20 - 27.0v
21 - 21.0v
22 - SbE
23 - 48 Default settings

I have tried alternating setting 11 between 20a and 30a to try recycling the system and it makes no difference. I have removed all power, including battery again no difference. Output verified with a clamp-on multimeter. This problem occurs day or night and having zero PV input makes no difference.

I have installed hundreds of off-grid inverters from other brands and have never seen this problem before.

Last edited:
Raise the utility charging amperage up on setting 11. It needs to be set higher than setting 2 which is combined charging amps for utility and solar. I'm new to my growatt system but that is what works on my 12k unit

Raise the utility charging amperage up on setting 11. It needs to be set higher than setting 2 which is combined charging amps for utility and solar. I'm new to my growatt system but that is what works on my 12k unit
30a is as high as setting goes unfortunately on the 3k unit

Back