diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000ES firmware update

Thank you @kirkdis
I have described the problem to them and they sent me this video showcasing that there is not any actual problem... But i think this is 113/114 firmware on the video.
I described the issue also several months ago to their german support representative without any solution.

Regarding the video, here are my thoughts: the inverter in the video is not a SPF5000ES. The only thing which seems common to the SPF is the same display unit.
the issue with the unreliable switch back to grid happened for me in 2 out of 10 cases (the dry contact seemed everytime to switch correctly!). that means in 10 days where the inverter needed to switch back to the grid 2 days where not successful. My assumption is that the phase sync from the inverter drifts away over time from the grid phase. Only when this is the case the inverter is not able to switch back to grid or hard switches back to grid, this depends on the firmware as there are different behaviours in each one. This video is not proofing that their crappy firmware is working fine. (test condition and only one switch back)

Under test conditions I can switch 100 times back an forth to grid in SBU without any issues. I can not check what they programmed in their firmware but for my experience with the SPF inverters the longer the inverter is connected constantly without interruption to the grid the more often it happened here. In SBU the inverter is usually constantly connected and this seems to benefit the cause.
You can sort the Growatt support engineers in two groups: group one doesn´t have any clue about the technology, group two is not able to communicate with the customers properly and misunderstands most of the details.
And exactly this is the biggest issue Growatt is facing and leads to these weird explantions in the provided video...

As I use my inverters not anymore with a constant connected grid I assume this is and was the solution to solve the isse with the switch back.
Due to the fact I use uti as working mode as soon the grid is available the inverter makes the phase sync and switches over to energy provider power. This is for me the most reasonable explanation why the external switch works great and the internal switch is unreliable.

I described the issue also several months ago to their german support representative without any solution.

Regarding the video, here are my thoughts: the inverter in the video is not a SPF5000ES. The only thing which seems common to the SPF is the same display unit.
the issue with the unreliable switch back to grid happened for me in 2 out of 10 cases (the dry contact seemed everytime to switch correctly!). that means in 10 days where the inverter needed to switch back to the grid 2 days where not successful. My assumption is that the phase sync from the inverter drifts away over time from the grid phase. Only when this is the case the inverter is not able to switch back to grid or hard switches back to grid, this depends on the firmware as there are different behaviours in each one. This video is not proofing that their crappy firmware is working fine. (test condition and only one switch back)

Under test conditions I can switch 100 times back an forth to grid in SBU without any issues. I can not check what they programmed in their firmware but for my experience with the SPF inverters the longer the inverter is connected constantly without interruption to the grid the more often it happened here. In SBU the inverter is usually constantly connected and this seems to benefit the cause.
You can sort the Growatt support engineers in two groups: group one doesn´t have any clue about the technology, group two is not able to communicate with the customers properly and misunderstands most of the details.
And exactly this is the biggest issue Growatt is facing and leads to these weird explantions in the provided video...

As I use my inverters not anymore with a constant connected grid I assume this is and was the solution to solve the isse with the switch back.
Due to the fact I use uti as working mode as soon the grid is available the inverter makes the phase sync and switches over to energy provider power. This is for me the most reasonable explanation why the external switch works great and the internal switch is unreliable.
You are right, they cannot communicate well and i think they don't fully know their own technology...
Could you give us a cost estimate for your solution with the power switch / dry contacts?

It´s not that much. for the dryport I propose to use a fused circuit breaker depending on the cable diameter. The contactor/relay for switching has to be rated higher than the max input power of your inverter or the sum of the inverter if it is a multiple setup (I use 63A rated one).

So the hardware is only a small amount. the relay you can get from 40€ starting. the breaker is only a few bucks and then you need a few cables, that´s it....

Hi guys new here,

I am having issues with my parallel connection between my two inverters.
Is it imperative that the inverters are setup on the same firmware?

long story short,
my batteries aren't charging and I can only power the house via grid bypass and the inverters will not work in parallel without battery connection but the batteries will not charge because they are essentially dead (zero charge) I am fearing the worst atm.

Growatt SPF5000ES has bulk Voltage limit up to 58.4V, does the new FW unlock this limitation ?
Please Confirm

I've bricked my SPF 5000 ES. Flashing wrong version F28067 SK113 instead of F2809 SK67.
I found jtag flash manual but i need correct HEX file for SPF 5000 ES F2809_SK67.
Anyone have it ?

Thank you

Hi,
I have SPF3500ES with 067F2 and 068F2 FW. In this fw is fan bug, is FW for SPF5000ES and SPF3500ES same please?

Hi All!

I own an SPF5000ES with the newest 067 and 068 firmware.
Battery connected via CAN, LIFEPO4.
Everything works fine, except one thing.
I defined SBU, so the utility only as last chance.
Also the battery can be charged only solar option choosen.

The question:
In the evening my battery goes down around 50%.
Solar charges it till 11-12AM fully.
The battery are fully charged and then starts what I don't understand.
Solar has enough power to feed everything, even more as needed.
But the battery is contionusly drained with a little ampere somehow.
Seems to me, that the inverter powers itself from the battery.

This means for the evening when solar is away, the battery already drained to 98-97%.

Is it somehow possible to eliminate this and force growatt inverter not to use the battery at all when solar is available?

Thank you!
The drainage from 100% is completely normal, the Inverter command and control is powered only from Battery or from Utility, to avoid micro charges/discharges that are detrimental to the LiPo battery because solar is not reliable they implemented a range, will charge up to 100% and will stop charging, because the inverter command and control section at that point is powered from battery will slowly discharge the battery down to 95% ( the power that is drained from battery is around the specified power written in the book when IDLE 60-80W/h ) where the inverter will start to charge the battery back to 100% and so on, if there are periods when there is not enough solar power will drain the difference from battery, as long as the battery is under 95% from the initial charge to 100% and there is enough power to drive consumers and to charge the battery the inverter will try charge the battery back to 100%.

Hi,
I would like to update my SPF 5000 ES due to the loud fan noise.
My firmware version are 067 01 104 / 068 01 104.

On https://www.amosplanet.org/firmware-download-for-off-grid-inverter/ are 2 version of firmware for that.

Version 1: F2809_SK067.F4_20221027_A.bin / V103_SK068.F4_20221027_A.bin
Version 2: F2809_SK067.03_20230630_A.bin / V103_SK068.03_20230630_A.bin

I read here that the firmware 27.10.2022 (version 1) could fix my problem with the fan.
My question is will the firmware from 30.06.2023 also fix my problem with the fan?
Has anyone experiences with the firmware from 30.6.2023 (Version 2)?
Which version should I choose?

Thank in advance, qwas

Hi,
I would like to update my SPF 5000 ES due to the loud fan noise.
My firmware version are 067 01 104 / 068 01 104.

On https://www.amosplanet.org/firmware-download-for-off-grid-inverter/ are 2 version of firmware for that.

Version 1: F2809_SK067.F4_20221027_A.bin / V103_SK068.F4_20221027_A.bin
Version 2: F2809_SK067.03_20230630_A.bin / V103_SK068.03_20230630_A.bin

I read here that the firmware 27.10.2022 (version 1) could fix my problem with the fan.
My question is will the firmware from 30.06.2023 also fix my problem with the fan?
Has anyone experiences with the firmware from 30.6.2023 (Version 2)?
Which version should I choose?

Thank in advance, qwas
I would think they would both fix your problem, I have used the F4 on a friend's machine to solve the problem as the 067.03 was not around at the time, I have another mate with fans running high speed and will go sort his machine out in a week or so But will use the latest 067.03 as I'm told it also has the fan speed update sorted

Hi @skylink, where do you got the information that with the .03 fixes the fan speed control too? I´m just looking for a changelog...

Last edited:
Growatt SPF5000ES - PV voltage drops and alarm comes every 2mins
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled inverter to check loose wires.
  • Sent for repair and confirmed that there is no hardware issue.
  • When bypass charging, no PV voltage drop issue in inverter.
  • No error code.
  • Continues Voltage from panels to inverter without any disturbance.
System
415 x 6 - Panels
5kw lithium power wall
JK 2A active balancer
Any thoughts?

Hello,

I am having the same issue!
can you plz share how did you solve this problem?

Hello,

I am having the same issue!
can you plz share how did you solve this problem?
My two cents, some setting with battery or BMS is telling inverter to not charge. Inverter does not have a great finetune control of PV and by not having anything to do with extra PV power, it disconnects.

Does it happens under bigger AC loads or with battery at lower SOC? cheers

EDIT: looked again at the video, battery icon is flashing, doesn't look the inverter is configured to talk with BMS in lithium mode. If it is, check the SOC in growatt and see if it matches the battery.
If not connected or not working, check the float voltage

Pozdravljeni.Pravkar nalegam na 3 inverter je spf5000es firmware 067/068-f4-a27.DELUJE.Sledite priloženim navodilom pa bo OK.. HVALA MOJSTRI... ????Pozdrav iz Slovenije
Bina, after installing the new firmware, is the inverter any quieter and by how much?
Is the firmware used F2809_SK067.F4_20221027_A V103_SK068.F4_20221027_A.bin?
How to restart the inverter at the end of the firmware loading? Thanks for the answers and greetings from Brežice!

Bina, ali je po instalaciji novega firmwarea inverter kaj tišji in za koliko? ali je uporabljen firmware
F2809_SK067.F4_20221027_A
V103_SK068.F4_20221027_A.bin ?
Kako se restarta inverter na koncu nalaganja firmwarea? Hvala za odgovore in pozdrav iz Brežic!

Last edited:
Bina, after installing the new firmware, is the inverter any quieter and by how much? is the firmware used F2809_SK067.F4_20221027_A V103_SK068.F4_20221027_A.bin How to restart the inverter at the end of the firmware loading? Thanks for the answers and greetings from Brežice!

Bina, ali je po instalaciji novega firmwarea inverter kaj tišji in za koliko? ali je uporabljen firmware
F2809_SK067.F4_20221027_A
V103_SK068.F4_20221027_A.bin ?
Kako se restarta inverter na koncu nalaganja firmwarea? Hvala za odgovore in pozdrav iz Brežic!

What the new firmware does is preventing the fans to be most of the time close to full 100% power. Now they do variate speed according to device load. That makes much more sense, but if you keep your device with high loads, it doesn't really help that much. My opinion is that it worth it the upgrade as no one (in normal condition) run the inverters all time close to full load.

To restart, after all the upgrade, i turn it off, disconnect mains, solar panel and in the end the batteries. Give it two minutes and reconnect in inverse order. Is a common recommendation to return the device to factory default settings, but i may confess i never did it and never had any trouble.

Back