diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000ES firmware update

Seems it is misnamed...put the .RAR at the final end.
.RAR is a ZIP-variety for compressed files.

I had some discussions with technical support regarding the 18A MPPT limitation.
(by the way, in the latest user manual it says 22A)

I may get a new firmware for the update.

Hi, is it possible to have 22A with the new Firmware update

I just wish it would do 28A with the new firmware update, then I could parallel 2 of my arrays and save a ton on wire!

the hardware is only rated to 30amps max, but what panels and how many that you need 28amps?
605s at 52v open 49ish under load and 14 amps max (which I see regularly)

I run 8 in series right now. Would love to run 8s2p and then I could use a single unit and one wire for 16 panels

605s at 52v open 49ish under load and 14 amps max (which I see regularly)

I run 8 in series right now. Would love to run 8s2p and then I could use a single unit and one wire for 16 panels
Are we talking about the Spf5000ES it can only handle 6000w max and you want to put 9680w on the poor thing?

Are we talking about the Spf5000ES it can only handle 6000w max and you want to put 9680w on the poor thing?
Well it will handle right now 22 amps x 450v = 9900.

It used to only do 8100.

They say 6000w but that’s not what the specs add up to.

But you can’t get to 450v with modern panels because they’ll drive 464v ish on 9 panels which it freaks out about. And most newer panels are 12+ amps. So 22 doesn’t help much.

So yes, I’d like to see 450x28. They could even release a newer model with 6500w of inverter and up the PV. I’d sell mine and upgrade them over time as long as it would work in parallel with the older ones.

It used to only do 8100.

But you can’t get to 450v with modern panels because they’ll drive 464v ish on 9 panels which it freaks out about. And most newer panels are 12+ amps. So 22 doesn’t help much.

So yes, I’d like to see 450x28. They could even release a newer model with 6500w of inverter and up the PV. I’d sell mine and upgrade them over time as long as it would work in parallel with the older ones.
Well at the end of the day you will kill it if you expect it to output that much, after all, it's a 5kW unit.
Growatt is busy with 6kW Units right now not sure of the operation or specs but did get a sneak peek at the unit, it looks like all the other Growatt units and are not the same casing as the SPF5000ES

It seems the unit is available now but has 2 X 4000w MPPT'S @ 16amp each, For some reason only an 80amp charge in the spec sheet but the manual states 100amp, I would rather it was 120-150amp but that's the story SPF 6000 ES PLUS

Last edited:

It used to only do 8100.

no issue. The only thing you really have to take care of is the short cut voltage of the panels it never should go above he 450V. I have paralled 2x4kWp with peak currents up to 23a and the inverters can deal with it perfectly. In winter I have much better results from the mppt as it will not switch from charging on and off constantly in the morning and evening but in summer I´m sure loosing some energy. So don´t care for the 18a 22a or whatever the inverter will take whatever it can handle and this seems around the 18a. I was told the inverters can handly up to 18a via the mppt great all above is a mystery.

It used to only do 8100.

Take it easy.
Do not force your luck.

VOC max of the MPPT is 450V
And that VOC shall be calculated keeping in mind on cold season the VOC may be +15%.
So...
If 450V is VOC in on -20deg, the VOC of the entire string (based on the panels datasheet x number of panels) shall not exceed 391V.
(you can calculate the temperature coefficient by yourself knowing the datasheet of the panel and replacing -20 with the coldest temperature ever on your area)

Usually the VMP of the PV is ~84% x VOC.
The maxim VMP of the string shall be below 327V.

The total power manageable (in safe limits of the voltage even in winter) would be 327V x 22A ~7200W

Take it easy.
Do not force your luck.

VOC max of the MPPT is 450V
And that VOC shall be calculated keeping in mind on cold season the VOC may be +15%.
So...
If 450V is VOC in on -20deg, the VOC of the entire string (based on the panels datasheet x number of panels) shall not exceed 391V.
(you can calculate the temperature coefficient by yourself knowing the datasheet of the panel and replacing -20 with the coldest temperature ever on your area)

Usually the VMP of the PV is ~84% x VOC.
The maxim VMP of the string shall be below 327V.

The total power manageable (in safe limits of the voltage even in winter) would be 327V x 22A ~7200W
Pretty much ;)

Good discussion,

I have a Growatt SPF 5000 ES running at 040 04 301, 041 04 301 firmware, except for the Shine WIFI communication, It's been running stable since the system was commissioned early last November, the Shine has been inadvertently freezing, which requires cycling the inverter power to re-establish communication.

I believe the issue is within the 5000ES, it seems to be timing out from loss of communication. I tried the Solar Assistant work around, however, the issue still remains, please see attachment. Does anyone know if there are firmware release notes that may describe at what Growatt firmware version I need to be at in order to reliable monitor my system, or what firmware version is working for you? I have made repeated and exhaustive attempt to for guidance from Signature Solar to no avail.

Also, I believe I have the older comm board, since its running siliconlabs driver's which are up to date. The Solar Assistant using Pi seems to run well as far as I can tell. I have also connected using PV Keeper 2.0 software and it seems to be the worse of the three device connections.

Once again, the system is presently running well, I'm hesitant to just randomly upgrade firmware, I believe that at some level they remove the ability to use the auxiliary contacts, which is presently working on my unit. Nonetheless, reliable data acquisition is a high level for me. Gracias.

Attachments

• Growatt Comm Failure Using Solar Assistant.jpg
    Growatt Comm Failure Using Solar Assistant.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi, why do you think they will remove support for the aux dry contacts?
I would suggest to use the latest available firmware for your specific model. there is no changelog available which I usually like to check before upgrading. the wifi signals can turn really bad in different working conditions of the inverter and under load. I noticed that on my devices for the last weeks. seems the inverters produce in some states very high radiation which causes wifi signal to back out...

I don't think I loose signal to the growatt growatt shine wifi. But........ Solar assistant is another story. To this day I can not get my six inverters to work reliably with SA. I have emailed them plenty of times, got promised a future update to fix this but many months later...... no real fix. I have been able to get it "better" with voltage usb blockers, usb hubs spec'ed by SA, and cables with ferrites on them. I still get one or two lockups a day, but no where near as bad as it was when it was sometimes a few per hour. I have a lot of time and money now wrapped up in this setup. But it still is not great for historical data when the data is not accurate.

I have upgraded my two Growatt spf 5000 es inverters to the latest FW along with upgrading the two wifi dongles to the latest FW as well. I have set the update frequency on my wifi dongles via the shine phone app to 1 min and I have never lost connectivity to the shine server (except for the 1 min lag) which allows me to monitor the inverters in parallel as well as the solar panels and connected seplos batteries. I can also change the settings on my inverters from where ever I am. All for free.

I replaced the managing firmware on the shine-f´s with a custom one which is pushing all data with an intervall of 1 sec to a raspberry. growatt cloud is gathering I think 5sec data from your devices but makes it not available for the customers only for the support. I can tell you the shine-f´s loose regulary connection especially if those are under load or in the morning and evening when there is not much load available for the mppt. so disconnects are happening caused by the radiation of the inverters...

the 1sec interval to the raspberry makes it possible to drive a power management to enable 8 different channels via the raspberry to connect and disconnect circuits of my home for example my central heating reservior or a heatpump etc. and Growatt doesn´t have full access to your inverters and trust me they have as soon you report/link a new shine-f to your account.

Back