diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000ES firmware update

I understand this paranoia but...

The chinese have access to my inverter to do what?
Ok... why will they mess with the settings and the datalogs?

Good for you, you could implement local solution but this approach is not available to anyone.

it's not about paranoia. the main reason for doing the raspy setup was the power management. also the better and fully customizable dashboards with event notification feature.the pitty is that they have full access to the inverters and their support was not able to check for their firmware issues/bugs and resolve those in the last 3 months.

You expect too much (support) for a such low priced inverter.
I doubt they would be more responsive if if the inverter would be an expensive model.

Mine runs wifi-F dataloger on their server, parallel with solarassistant on USB simultaneously.
Nearby there is HomeAssistant machine which takes data all around the house (shellyEM, sonoff w PZEM, 3 AC units, etc.) including one ESP32 with 4 ch relay for BHW/buffer heater.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117_090438.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_090438.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I doubt they would be more responsive if if the inverter would be an expensive model.

Mine runs wifi-F dataloger on their server, parallel with solarassistant on USB simultaneously.
Nearby there is HomeAssistant machine which takes data all around the house (shellyEM, sonoff w PZEM, 3 AC units, etc.) including one ESP32 with 4 ch relay for BHW/buffer heater.
While we are all around, have any of you updated the WiFi Dongle? Wifi Ver 1.7.6.7 vs 3.0.0.0 any idea what's new?

Hello @skylink,

In answer to your question:

As I mentioned in my previous post I upgraded both my Growatt inverters and wifi dongles to the latest FW available about 2 months ago. The wifi dongles were upgraded to 3.0.0.2 with the help of the Android Shine Phone app using the "Hotspot" method. The upgrade went flawlessly for both dongles. I must mention that I upgraded the Growatt inverters first. I noticed an "Advanced" link during the configuration process which is where the FW upgrade option lies along with other settings like changing the frequency of updates from the dongle to the shine server.

I cannot compare this new FW version to the previous FW version since I used a laptop to install the wifi dongle when I bought it as per attached youtube video:
and did not explore the settings.

But I can confirm that:
1. Both my inverter's connection to the Growatt shine server is a LOT stable no matter how much load is attached to the inverter. I do not recollect they going down since the upgrades (Approx. 2 months).
2. I have verified that both dongles are communicating with the Growatt server every (1) minute.
3. Any inverter setting changes I make on my Android Shine Phone App are almost immediately applied to the inverter.
4. All the data and graphs on the Growatt shine phone app relating to periodic solar production, battery SOC .... etc... are accurate.

I was having issues prior to the inverter and dongle FW upgrades similar to what has been reported in this forum. Also it was a struggle to find the correct information and right tools to get the upgrades done. But it all seems to be working for now.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hello @skylink,

In answer to your question:

As I mentioned in my previous post I upgraded both my Growatt inverters and wifi dongles to the latest FW available about 2 months ago. The wifi dongles were upgraded to 3.0.0.2 with the help of the Android Shine Phone app using the "Hotspot" method. The upgrade went flawlessly for both dongles. I must mention that I upgraded the Growatt inverters first. I noticed an "Advanced" link during the configuration process which is where the FW upgrade option lies along with other settings like changing the frequency of updates from the dongle to the shine server.

I cannot compare this new FW version to the previous FW version since I used a laptop to install the wifi dongle when I bought it as per attached youtube video:
and did not explore the settings.

But I can confirm that:
1. Both my inverter's connection to the Growatt shine server is a LOT stable no matter how much load is attached to the inverter. I do not recollect they going down since the upgrades (Approx. 2 months).
2. I have verified that both dongles are communicating with the Growatt server every (1) minute.
3. Any inverter setting changes I make on my Android Shine Phone App are almost immediately applied to the inverter.
4. All the data and graphs on the Growatt shine phone app relating to periodic solar production, battery SOC .... etc... are accurate.

I was having issues prior to the inverter and dongle FW upgrades similar to what has been reported in this forum. Also it was a struggle to find the correct information and right tools to get the upgrades done. But it all seems to be working for now.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, also it seems only Ver 3.0.0.0 has the remote upgrade via the internet , and the older 1.7.6.7 do not have the same hardware, checking advantages with the factory they say "same same"just the online upgrade.

Thanks for your reply

Hi, why do you think they will remove support for the aux dry contacts?

Hello, I believe I discovered that information here, in this forum. I'm not sure of its validity, I have a tendency to be overly cautious.

More good information/options to consider, thanks.

Interesting, does the Growatt comm board broadcast modbus simultaneously (spliter) through both USB A and B ports? If so, I guess you could remove the WIFI-F PCB from the case and have room to connect Solar Assistant to the USB B port? Or I guess you are pinning from the WIFI PCB Tx to Pi Rx. Thanks for this.

Growatt SPF5000ES - PV voltage drops and alarm comes every 2mins
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled inverter to check loose wires.
  • Sent for repair and confirmed that there is no hardware issue.
  • When bypass charging, no PV voltage drop issue in inverter.
  • No error code.
  • Continues Voltage from panels to inverter without any disturbance.
System
415 x 6 - Panels
5kw lithium power wall
JK 2A active balancer
Any thoughts?

• No error code.
System
415 x 6 - Panels
5kw lithium power wall
JK 2A active balancer
Any thoughts?

Well, where do we start here? if it's not the inverter where to next, maybe a bypass diode on one or more of the solar panels?

It may also be an issue with the MPPT Board or even just the 270uf 500v capacitor on the MPPT Board, I had one with similar issues until that Capacitor when dead short.

• No error code.
System
415 x 6 - Panels
5kw lithium power wall
JK 2A active balancer
Any thoughts?

Did you check the pannels connections ... I had a badly mounted MC4 connector (after instaling the cables I didn't "click" the metal part in the connector case) so while checking for continuity/voltage everything was OK but then when load applied it started going up and down like in your case. I didn't notice at first the problem because this was on the second string (had 2 x 8x375 W pannels and the problem was just on one of the strings) and it was a cloudy period ... The power output was somehow continuous because one of the strings was doing it's job but the other one caused the power output to fluctuate ... what I mean is I didn't get complete power output cut's like you have but it was still going up and down

Last edited:
Did you check the pannels connections ... I had a badly mounted MC4 connector (after instaling the cables I didn't "click" the metal part in the connector case) so while checking for continuity/voltage everything was OK but then when load applied it started going up and down like in your case. I didn't notice at first the problem because this was on the second string (had 2 x 8x375 W pannels and the problem was just on one of the strings) and it was a cloudy period ... The power output was somehow continuous because one of the strings was doing it's job but the other one caused the power output to fluctuate ... what I mean is I didn't get complete power output cut's like you have but it was still going up and down
thanks for the useful information, but the issue is i have being using this system for more than 6 months without any issue.
had no issue with panel wires or MC4 connectors up to now.

Well, where do we start here? if it's not the inverter where to next, maybe a bypass diode on one or more of the solar panels?

It may also be an issue with the MPPT Board or even just the 270uf 500v capacitor on the MPPT Board, I had one with similar issues until that Capacitor when dead short.
Thanks for the help, i sent the inverter to repair.
and the technician confirmed me that there is no hardware issue.
and the person who installed the system checked the PV side and confirmed that there is no issue with the panel side.

im wondering what to do now....

thanks for the useful information, but the issue is i have being using this system for more than 6 months without any issue.
had no issue with panel wires or MC4 connectors up to now.
I noticed something odd in your video ... what is the little sign blinking to the right of the battery charge indicator ? .. you say it's lithium-ion battery what are the settings related to your battery (Li/US2 prog 5 ? / protocol prog 36 ?) (do you have any com cable intalled CAN or RS485) ... it may be a battery issue, I'd suggest turning off the sistem / disconneting the battery and see if it stabilizes the output on grid + solar or solar alone // So to speack I had some comunication problems of my own but on the growatt ark 2.5L-a1 battery sistem, the com cable went crazy one day out of the blue and the whole system went crazy - output cut/fault+error codes /// I went to check my indicator on my invertor and I guess is the little "Li" sign that is blinking on the right of your charge indicator (mine is stable) that is blinking witch, I think, suggest's a battry issue

Last edited:
I noticed something odd in your video ... what is the little sign blinking to the right of the battery charge indicator ? .. you say it's lithium-ion battery what are the settings related to your battery (Li/US2 prog 5 ? / protocol prog 36 ?) (do you have any com cable intalled CAN or RS485) ... it may be a battery issue, I'd suggest turning off the sistem / disconneting the battery and see if it stabilizes the output on grid + solar or solar alone // So to speack I had some comunication problems of my own but on the growatt ark 2.5L-a1 battery sistem, the com cable went crazy one day out of the blue and the whole system went crazy - output cut/fault+error codes /// I went to check my indicator on my invertor and I guess is the little "Li" sign that is blinking on the right of your charge indicator (mine is stable) that is blinking witch, I think, suggest's a battry issue
thanks for the lengthy details... i have not installed a communication cable between battery and inverter.
i have set the battery type as "user -Defined" batt USE 005 in the user manual setting number 5.
i have being using with the same setting for more than 6 months now...
1 week back only i got this error.

thanks for the lengthy details... i have not installed a communication cable between battery and inverter.
i have set the battery type as "user -Defined" batt USE 005 in the user manual setting number 5.
i have being using with the same setting for more than 6 months now...
1 week back only i got this error.
Maybe this may have "killed" your battery on the long run, if you look at the manual you'll see that the setting US2 is more suitable for lithium-ion battery without coms and not USE, but then again I have no personal experience with how to correctly set this up .
Anyway did you try to disconnect battery and see if inverter stabilizes? At least it will help you eliminate problems and focus on the "faulty" component, that being said you confirmed the string is ok/inverter is ok, unfortunately it only leaves the battery ... or there might be one other issue wirering and/or breakers specially the connection parts check the screws, verify that cables don't have discoloration on the connection side

hi.. i followed the update steps and finally managed to BRICK my SPF5000ES today...
Only 3 indicator lights are flashing above the display..
Can someone help me to fix this?

Did you performed cold start?
Are you sure the bin files are for your inverter (there are two HW versions)
Did you check the version you were supposed to upgrade (previous one)

On this thread there was a user having a 06x HW version and flashed 04x version bin.
He solved flashing the correct version.

hi.. i followed the update steps and finally managed to BRICK my SPF5000ES today...
Only 3 indicator lights are flashing above the display..
Can someone help me to fix this?
Agree with radurus what was your firmware before, and what did you try to update it to?

Did you performed cold start?
Are you sure the bin files are for your inverter (there are two HW versions)
Did you check the version you were supposed to upgrade (previous one)

On this thread there was a user having a 06x HW version and flashed 04x version bin.
He solved flashing the correct version.
01. Cold start wont work.
02. I used the attached files to update.
03. I cant remember the exact FW i had before, i think the last 3 digits are 104.

Do you have the latest firmware and isp tool?

Attachments

• CP210x_Windows_Drivers.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 49
  • CP210x_Windows_Win10_Drivers.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 49
  • growatt-spf5000es-firmware-upgrade.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
  • ISP Tool - SOP.pdf
    240.9 KB · Views: 45
  • ISP Tool V4.30.rar
    278.4 KB · Views: 45
  • F030_SK041.06_20220104_A.bin.zip