diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000ES - max grid current?

BrunoAlves

I installed 2 parallel growatt inverters with a Seplos BMS and a big pack of 280Ah EVE Lifepo4 cells. All is working fine and the inverters were really easy to set up (apart from ShinePhone, what an idiot setup...)

There is however a point where I think the inverter is missing a basic functionality...
I use the grid as the backup source (SBU). We can configure the maximum charging current, but that's DC current. Nowhere we can tell the inverter what's the maximum grid current (AC) available.

So, in a situation where the batteries are charging after reaching the minimum and the grid is powering also the house, if the consumption gets too high I would expect that the battery charging is reduced or even interrupted so that the grid isn't overloaded and eventually shuts down. But it does, I had that.. Now with winter coming, less sun, I guess that it might become a recurring problem.

Did anyone came across this problem, any way to fix that?

That's pretty much not a thing. Manual indicates 32A breaker on AC input, so you must supply 32A to each.

Your AC source must handle both loads and charging.

It's pretty much on you to manage your loads when charging.

Victron allows this with an AC input current limit and powerassist. It uses the AC input current limit to limit AC load for charging, but it still won't stop you from overloading your AC input EXCEPT with Powerassist, where the inverter will boost the incoming AC with inverter power to meet the loads.

Manual indicates 32A breaker on AC input, so you must supply 32A to each
I understand but that makes little sense in my opinion... 64A at single phase from the grid is not even allowed in Europe (at least not in Portugal, max is 45A). Over 10,35kVA one must go 3-phase...

the inverter will boost the incoming AC with inverter power to meet the loads
That's not what want to do. I don't want the inverter to "assist" the grid with power from the battery.
What I'm referring to is when the grid is charging the battery and supplying the loads. At that situation I would expect that the battery charging was reduced or interrupted if the total grid load was overloaded (but of course, if the loads are too much then the grid will shut down, as it did before the inverters where there)

Back