diy solar

diy solar

Growatt3000 24v with Daly100A BMS unit settings and issues.

GW without BMS charging fine, at 27.1v on GW monitor, 26.68 on battery ISDT meter.

One thing when testing the BMS that I didn't think of is that I have a different battery meter's shunt between the out wire for the BMS to the GW.
Could this be the problem? I think I'll test it later if the current charge goes up to top balance... was set at 28.2... thinking of setting 29v on the GW as it's charging nice and slow as the clouds come and go... I didn't think of the shunt before. Can't remember, but I think I did check the negative wire out of the battery to the shunt before with the same results... have to see if I wrote that down.
From what I can gather from your posts, is you can't set parameters on your Daly BMS? Mine is a 250A 24V 8S Smart BMS with fan, common port, way oversized for the charging amps and discharging amps I intend to run thru it.

It is possible you're hitting the max charging amps your BMS can handle, what model do you have?

Second, it almost seems you are setting max charge voltage on the GW higher than the BMS max charge voltage. BMS should be at 3.65V per cell times 8 cells = 29.2V

The GW should be set lower than the BMS, my GW is set for 28.4V= 3.55V times 8 cells.

Are you certain you're setting this up backwards concerning max V for each component? From what you posted above,

"It's common port, so fixed settings ~30v high cutoff and 17.6v? low cutoff? I don't have it here at the computer, but it's lower than the batteries...So low end shouldn't have been a problem, just the high, as the fluctuating voltage that shows up on the GW monitor screen can go low below 25, usually 25.5, but I did see it today go lower for a moment on discharge, while the high charge can go over 31 if not set to 27v or lower"

If indeed you have run the GW over 31V, then it is quite possible to have cell damage. That would be 3.875V per cell.

Set BMS to max charging voltage 29.2V, and max cell voltage to 3.65V

Set GW to 28.4V max charging voltage.

Then see what occurs. And what is the BMS rated for charging amps? And what is your PV VOC again?

Tried running the wire to the GW thru the meter shunt.... doesn't seem to be a problem... just ~.1v loss. This was just after 5pm with the solar panels in the shade about 80v, 0amps, 36 watts.
Meter Shunt-- 26.68v
Growatt--------26.76v
Battery---------26.70v
Turned inverter on a little later and the heat gun on high:
Meter/Shunt---26.14
Growatt---------25.5
Battery----------26.34
Solar panels same readings essentially.
Later 15minutes or more, shut off heat gun, so it's in cool down mode from 54amps down to 2.5 and then under 1 volt.
Meter/Shunt----26.44
Growatt----------26.6
Battery-----------26.55
As the gun turns off the readings go up a touch, inverter still on.
Meter/Shunt----26.59
Growatt----------26.8
Battery-----------26.68
Inverter then turned off a couple minutes later.
Meter/Shunt----26.60
Growatt----------26.7
Battery-----------26.69
Not much solar being produced in the shade at this time, ~5:40pm.... so readings just a little higher.
But it seems the shunt reduces some voltage, but not much... the GW reading remains a little higher. Before running the wire from battery thru the shunt, the readings were ~.3v higher on the GW during charging compared to the regular battery reading from the ISDT cell balancer. No big fluctuations on the GW monitor vs battery meter compared to using the BMS. Haven't tried running the BMS directly to the GW... thru the Circuit Breaker I have set up.... but that CB never changes anything, so the BMS does seem to be the problem as Ian said. He said he's always dealing with this issue of the BMS's.
I'll test more tomorrow, the GW setup without the BMS is very steady, so do I need it? Not sure if I can return it yet, but I still have the smaller Daly BMS from before I bought this bigger one... which I now think I don't really need, bought it for potential future charging needs, but after watching these readings in which the solar charging rarely exceeded 31amps, I doubt the alternator charging would produce enough to top out the smaller Daly BMS, and that smaller one had the same issue of fluctuation.... I don't see any wire issues after cleaning that busbar which was a problem, thought maybe the BMS would work after that, but testing showed the same or similar results.... overcharging showing on the GW but not the battery ISDT monitor itself, which was now steady. Everything seems steady without the BMS.

Daly BMS 8s 24v 2iFePO4 Common Port with Cooling Fan
This isn't a "Smart" type
Overcharge is 3.75 and over discharge is 2.2 Amazon.com: DALY BMS 8S 24V 200A LiFePO4 Battery Protection Module PCB Protection Board with Balance Leads Wires Temp Sensor Common Port BMS for 18650 Battery Pack 24V with Cooling Fan: Electronics
And all my GW settings are lower easily within these settings. Currently I'm trying to charge higher without the BMS, but when I had the BMS on, the settings had to stay lower (27v) to prevent those fluctuations from going over 30 and over 31... and on the low end, the GW cutoff is ~22.5 I think, so way above the BMS's settings. Remember those fluctuations on the GW screen and the Meter/Shunt screen , don't show up on the battery ISDT meter, which remains stable, especially after cleaning that #5 cell. I thought that would fix it and I could put the BMS back on, but I had the same problem, even if the battery cells looked fine and stable in discharge and charging. Seems to be something wrong with the BMS. I can't think of anything else to try/test.

Not sure what the # 18650 Battery Pack means... mine is 24v 280AH 8S in 'alt' configuration. Did I get the wrong BMS for my battery?

Overcharge is 3.75 and over discharge is 2.2 Amazon.com: DALY BMS 8S 24V 200A LiFePO4 Battery Protection Module PCB Protection Board with Balance Leads Wires Temp Sensor Common Port BMS for 18650 Battery Pack 24V with Cooling Fan: Electronics
And all my GW settings are lower easily within these settings. Currently I'm trying to charge higher without the BMS, but when I had the BMS on, the settings had to stay lower (27v) to prevent those fluctuations from going over 30 and over 31... and on the low end, the GW cutoff is ~22.5 I think, so way above the BMS's settings. Remember those fluctuations on the GW screen and the Meter/Shunt screen , don't show up on the battery ISDT meter, which remains stable, especially after cleaning that #5 cell. I thought that would fix it and I could put the BMS back on, but I had the same problem, even if the battery cells looked fine and stable in discharge and charging. Seems to be something wrong with the BMS. I can't think of anything else to try/test.

Not sure what the # 18650 Battery Pack means... mine is 24v 280AH 8S in 'alt' configuration. Did I get the wrong BMS for my battery?
You of course might have purchased it without any way to set it (which should concern you greatly come winter with it set to allow charging to -40). But it certainly looks like the smart models they sale, just set to the equally horrible defaults Daly uses. 3.75v high cell disconnect, and 2.2v low cell disconnect, along with a temperature probe set to allow charging down to -40. Perhaps you might take a picture of any connectors that are on the BMS? This way we can tell if at least it has the capability for bluetooth or USB. I suspect it also might need activation.

It appears it possibly isn't a Smart BMS. And possibly it doesn't have a way to set parameters as a result.

According to that page, a few things raise an alarm. Cell max V is 3.75V, too high. Low V cutoff, 2.2V, too low. Charging low temp cutoff, -40F/-40C (that's hilarious actually as F and C aren't even close) too low.

And all my GW settings are lower easily within these settings. Currently I'm trying to charge higher without the BMS, but when I had the BMS on, the settings had to stay lower (27v) to prevent those fluctuations from going over 30 and over 31... and on the low end, the GW cutoff is ~22.5 I think, so way above the BMS's settings.

Considering what the BMS actually is and how was programmed at the factory, we now know why you have been having some problems.

Remember those fluctuations on the GW screen and the Meter/Shunt screen , don't show up on the battery ISDT meter, which remains stable, especially after cleaning that #5 cell. I thought that would fix it and I could put the BMS back on, but I had the same problem, even if the battery cells looked fine and stable in discharge and charging. Seems to be something wrong with the BMS. I can't think of anything else to try/test.

Not sure what the # 18650 Battery Pack means... mine is 24v 280AH 8S in 'alt' configuration.
18650 is Li-Ion cylindrical cells, you have LiFePo4 cells which run at different voltages. If that BMS was made just for Li-Ion (which is max cell V at 3.75V) then you have a serious problem.

Did I get the wrong BMS for my battery?
Possibly yes.

First, can you communicate with the BMS? If so, then you might be able to change parameters. If you can not communicate with it thru UART (BT or serial cable), then it is worthless to you.

If you can change parameters, then you're golden. If not, then you need to find a different BMS.

Hopefully your cells are not damaged at this point or not damaged too much that you can salvage them. Quit bypassing the BMS, you need to quit using the system at this point to prevent cell damage.

Ok, 18650 is Li-Ion? Doesn't it say LiFePO4 in that ad on Amazon? ... didn't arrive with any temp probe either... not a separate one, unless it uses the cell wires for analysis? That ad says:

DALY BMS 8S 24V 200A LiFePO4 Battery Protection Module PCB Protection Board with Balance Leads Wires Temp Sensor Common Port BMS for 18650 Battery Pack 24V with Cooling Fan​

But I do see other ads for 18650 is Li-Ion as you say... confusing, if so, it's no wonder I bought the wrong one. Why do they have LiFePO4 in this ad then?
PS.... Would this cause the fluctuations though? Maybe so if the chemistry is wrong?

Last edited:
Ok, 18650 is Li-Ion? Doesn't it say LiFePO4 in that ad on Amazon? ... didn't arrive with any temp probe either... not a separate one, unless it uses the cell wires for analysis? That ad says:

DALY BMS 8S 24V 200A LiFePO4 Battery Protection Module PCB Protection Board with Balance Leads Wires Temp Sensor Common Port BMS for 18650 Battery Pack 24V with Cooling Fan​

But I do see other ads for 18650 is Li-Ion as you say... confusing, if so, it's no wonder I bought the wrong one. Why do they have LiFePO4 in this ad then?
PS.... Would this cause the fluctuations though? Maybe so if the chemistry is wrong?
Ok, 18650 is Li-Ion? Doesn't it say LiFePO4 in that ad on Amazon?

Li-Ion has a different high voltage cutoff, 3.75V per cell. You have 280Ah LiFePo4 bank. Different chemistry.

... didn't arrive with any temp probe either... not a separate one, unless it uses the cell wires for analysis? That ad says:

Unless you can communicate with it and change the settings, then it of no use to you. If the temp sensor is missing, I'd send it back also. If it has a UART/BT port, then you should be able to communicate with it and change settings. Daly manufactures some BMS's with factory set parameters, when you order it you have to specify what you want. Many sellers of Daly have no idea even what they are selling.

Buy off the Daly Store on AliExpress. This is where I bought mine. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001316243469.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2ea94c4d5sAkOD

Notice it is for 3.2V battery. If you want the 200A model, then order the 200AcomUARTBTFan model. This will allow communication via PC or BT. Be sure to order the BT module and USB to UART cable, they do not come with the BMS.

I also bought the Touch Screen. I would recommend the Power Display Panel which is the lightboard, only costs $4.59 USD. On my BMS however, I can only use the Touch Screen or BT at one time, both utilize the UART port and so one or the other can only be plugged in. The photos show the Touch Screen as plugging into the RS485 port, however this is not correct.

GW without BMS charging fine, at 27.1v on GW monitor, 26.68 on battery ISDT meter.

One thing when testing the BMS that I didn't think of is that I have a different battery meter's shunt between the out wire for the BMS to the GW.
Could this be the problem? I think I'll test it later if the current charge goes up to top balance... was set at 28.2... thinking of setting 29v on the GW as it's charging nice and slow as the clouds come and go... I didn't think of the shunt before. Can't remember, but I think I did check the negative wire out of the battery to the shunt before with the same results... have to see if I wrote that down.

Was that qoute a question? M problem was the BMS... shorted out a terminal connection on the first one, installed the wrong BMS the second time... didnt notice that short until I put it back on after returning the second BMS... in the end, I'm not using a BMS.... since I have plenty of solar for my needs, keeping the batter charged isn't a problem unless I stay in cloudy-stormy skies for a few days.. as it really affects the solar input, even with tilt.

Was that qoute a question? M problem was the BMS... shorted out a terminal connection on the first one, installed the wrong BMS the second time... didnt notice that short until I put it back on after returning the second BMS... in the end, I'm not using a BMS.... since I have plenty of solar for my needs, keeping the batter charged isn't a problem unless I stay in cloudy-stormy skies for a few days.. as it really affects the solar input, even with tilt.
Having plenty of solar doesn't mean you don't need a BMS.
I hope you have better luck than the last person that thought the ISDT battery monitor was good enough.

Unfortunately, at almost midnight last night, reading this thread on my phone while searching the forums for Growatt settings, has clearly resulted in a mis-click quote post while scrolling on said phone ... hence the lack of any other writings/comments.

My apologies for any confusion.

No, don't trust the ISDT much, especially after I put multiple extensions on it... which really didn't change much, but I have another meter to check the loads and general battery charge etc... but I mostly trust the multimeter for battery cell charge; that said, they are all consistent in their readings, so once adjusted, I know where the cells are at, and I don't really see the need to max charge to 29.2 each time, as I'm not using up much SOC each day. The way I understand it, the lithiums' don't like to stay top charged, so I wait a few days, unless cloudy low charge days etc. I think the 28.2v charge is fine for me... I will top charge for battery conditioning every 6 months as Will suggested. I find that since my power needs are rather low compared to the panels I have on the roof of the van, so I don't need the BMS currently, as I don't charge that high and stay out of high/low temp conditions etc.

But no, I trust the multimeter and use the ISDT only for quick checks daily to make sure nothing happens. Not having a BMS on the battery has forced me to learn how it works much better, not being an enthusiast, I wouldn't have learned all this otherwise. I would've been more like the basic RV type, just trusting the system installed etc.

Back