diy solar

diy solar

Guidance, suggestions, and help on my Lance 1575 project

That's a better bus bar. Count up the number of big cables you'll need to connect and that will tell you the number of studs needed.

Based on what I saw in your original post, you need at least four studs.
1. battery
2. inverter/charger
3. solar charge controller
4. 12v main distribution panel

If you can't come up with anything else, then a four stud bus bar will do. It should be less expensive than the 6 stud model and it will fit into tighter spaces better. Consider buying the cover for the bus bar if it doesn't come with it. It's extra protection in case you drop something like a wrench.

That's a better bus bar. Count up the number of big cables you'll need to connect and that will tell you the number of studs needed.

Based on what I saw in your original post, you need at least four studs.
1. battery
2. inverter/charger
3. solar charge controller
4. 12v main distribution panel

If you can't come up with anything else, then a four stud bus bar will do. It should be less expensive than the 6 stud model and it will fit into tighter spaces better. Consider buying the cover for the bus bar if it doesn't come with it. It's extra protection in case you drop something like a wrench.
Almost sounds like you’ve witnessed my clumsiness. ?

Ah, I was projecting my own. My Victron shunt doesn't have a cover. Every time I look at it, it bothers me. What may save me is that all my positive connections are in one area and the negative connections are in a different area. I would have to really screw up to make sparks fly. The battery is a different matter.

Hi Pixie. I am interested in your project but haven't yet been able to go through all of your posts carefully. I am also a fulltime rver. I have solar and lithium in my 40 foot RV with a Magnum 3012 and 4024. Anyway, here is the thing. Last year we bought a Lance 1575 which we are using to get out more remote and in smaller more rustic campgrounds. Last year I put a 300 ahr lithium pack in the back of my truck together with my 4024 charger inverter (charged with a honda eu 2000). We would then run the 120 ac for the lance by plugging into the inverter when boondocking. I used the stock 12 v battery to operate the 12 volt. That all worked great for 4 months on the road but it was temporary. I want to have some solar and an onboard system. I have the Magnum 3012 or 4024 that I could put in the 1575 but I am concerned about their weight. I also have been thinking about instead using one of the mpp solar--all in one units---since both weight and space are big concerns. I would be very interested in seeing your proposed roof layout. I am leaning toward putting lithium pack in the front cargo bay. The other plan I have thought about is upgrading the existing charger for lithium (have to confirm the unit is upgradable) and then just installing an inverter. That, of course, comes with its own complications and it sounds like you decided against this approach. This is a complicated design project due to the space and weight limitations.

Those are very nice components you have chosen. I am also going to add a dc to dc for charging off the alternator. Have you located where you will tie into the ac system yet?

Those are very nice components you have chosen. I am also going to add a dc to dc for charging off the alternator. Have you located where you will tie into the ac system yet?
Space and weight have been my biggest constraints. I hand-drew my roof layout and I'm planning on replacing the Go Power panel (from the factory) with a 210w Newpowa panel and placing another on the same side but toward the back of the trailer. The plan is to build tilt mounts for these and try to angle that side of the trailer toward the south when I'm boondocking. I just picked up all the components yesterday and it's been too cold to look for wire routing yet, but it's going to reach the panel under the oven one way or another. I currently have a Go Power PWM controller above the fridge and I plan to pull it and put the Blue Sky Energy and the Magnum Energy remotes in that space. I won't be able to tell if I can fit the controller there until I make an access door in the closet next to the fridge. I'm tentatively planning on setting up the components beside the water pump where there is wall space up against the bed frame. I think I measured it at around 30.25"x 14.25" (16 inches if I go above the lip on the wall). I'm planning to cut everything out in cardboard to see if it will all fit there. The plan is to get a battery with internal heating capabilities, but the results on the battery I'm looking at have not been good regarding the BMS... so I may be changing the battery plan. If I don't have a self-heating one, then I may have to put it in the pass-thru, which I am trying to avoid because that's the only decent storage space. I can imagine your inverter charger is a hoss because the MS2012 weighs 46 lbs! I thought about an all-in-one but I got a good deal on this lot of solar stuff so I'm trying to make it work. Btw, I have a Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost SB3024il and a Roof.jpg

Blue Sky Solar Boost 3000i, both new in the box, I'll prob be listing for sale.

The pink on the diagram is where I'm putting panels.

Last edited:
And I'm planning on 150-300watts solar panel suitcase on the side with a separate charge controller. I haven't decided if I will buy one with the charge controller or use the extra 3000i controller and network it with the SB3024iL. You're right, I didn't want to upgrade the converter so I'm opting for the inverter/charger.

Hi Pixie. I am interested in your project but haven't yet been able to go through all of your posts carefully. I am also a fulltime rver. I have solar and lithium in my 40 foot RV with a Magnum 3012 and 4024. Anyway, here is the thing. Last year we bought a Lance 1575 which we are using to get out more remote and in smaller more rustic campgrounds. Last year I put a 300 ahr lithium pack in the back of my truck together with my 4024 charger inverter (charged with a honda eu 2000). We would then run the 120 ac for the lance by plugging into the inverter when boondocking. I used the stock 12 v battery to operate the 12 volt. That all worked great for 4 months on the road but it was temporary. I want to have some solar and an onboard system. I have the Magnum 3012 or 4024 that I could put in the 1575 but I am concerned about their weight. I also have been thinking about instead using one of the mpp solar--all in one units---since both weight and space are big concerns. I would be very interested in seeing your proposed roof layout. I am leaning toward putting lithium pack in the front cargo bay. The other plan I have thought about is upgrading the existing charger for lithium (have to confirm the unit is upgradable) and then just installing an inverter. That, of course, comes with its own complications and it sounds like you decided against this approach. This is a complicated design project due to the space and weight limitations.

Last edited:
AM I TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH TOO MUCH IN THIS SPACE? I know the circuit protection is missing. This is the size of my pass-thru wall panel I’m trying to work with for my components. There’s a possibility I can mount the solar charge controller above my fridge space where the remotes will be mounted. I’m also toying with mounting the inverter charger on the ceiling of the pass they at a right angle with the board containing the other components. For clarification, the Outback Flexware shunt has a busbar that connects to either end.

88E75B42-01B4-456D-96F1-9CA1B213087F.jpeg

I think the space is too cramped. It may look ok now, but once you start adding cables you'll realize there simply isn't enough space to make the turn for the wires to go into the components.

Do you have a picture of the compartment/space?

Is this the front compartment? Setting aside the cord location issue, which I agree looks difficult, check the magnum owners manual. I know with mine they required six inch clearance on the sides with vents. Hanging it from ceiling may make sense but we would need to consider what reinforcement you would need.

Is this the front compartment? Setting aside the cord location issue, which I agree looks difficult, check the magnum owners manual. I know with mine they required six inch clearance on the sides with vents. Hanging it from ceiling may make sense but we would need to consider what reinforcement you would need.
I’ll take pics once the tundra ends. Wish I’d done that when I measured. You’re right about the ventilation, so I feel the top mount is best. Btw, this is the arrangement with the solar controller out of the way.
AF0C37B3-9928-4BC0-AC06-3308A5DC9ABA.jpeg

I would go look in my own unit but it is getting its 1 year warranty odds and ends repaired right now.

It's hard to find 360° pictures of that inverter. One install note I found said the inverter could not be mounted with the vents oriented in the down position.

That’s probably where I’m going. Had a screw loose (no pun intended ?), and felt underneath. It’s a raceway from the pass-thru-ish area and leading to wire loom under the sink area which leads over to the breaker panel under the oven. BAM! Now, if the tundra would thaw so I can take a better look at everything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 10
That’s probably where I’m going. Had a screw loose (no pun intended ?), and felt underneath. It’s a raceway from the pass-thru-ish area and leading to wire loom under the sink area which leads over to the breaker panel under the oven. BAM! Now, if the tundra would thaw so I can take a better look at everything.
We have ours back so I am going to take a look inside tomorrow.

I have a new 1575 that I got very recently. The solar on the side port is from Go Power, and has no charge controller. It runs straight to the battery through an inline fuse right behind the battery disconnect (which you have to remove to access it if you blow it like I did, because their sae connector is wired backwards). I bought a 240w used panel from santan solar and mounted a 20a mppt charge controller on it, and plug that into the side when needed. About $150 for that.

Also, the power dynamics converter has a switch to charge lithium (at least the new ones do, check your model). I dropped in a battleborn, flipped the switch, and adjusted the solar charge controller for lithium as well. So far so good, though my power needs are relatively low.

Back