diy solar

diy solar

Had an idea and wanted some opinions

whereitsat42

Had an idea: the max current my panels can produce is 150A, and instead of buying a charge controller rated that high, I thought I could use equipment already on hand in a layered approach, by using bus bars to split the incoming charge between three lower rated charge controllers, then rejoin the lines at the main bus bar, as detailed in my included, high-end artwork. Would this work and is it safe? And would I need wiring that supports the full 150A on the entire charging side (1 AWG basically) or can I get away with connecting the charge controllers with a gauge that supports up to each of their respective max supported currents?

Notes: No, switching to 48v is not an option at this time. Yes, I am appropriately fusing everything and just didn't want to clutter the picture up by including them.

20231130_110213.jpg

No, you can ony use 1 charge controller per bank of panels, otherwise they will fight each other. If you make 3 separate strings of panels you can use the 3 charge controllers, provided the voltages of the strings and controllers work together.

No, you can ony use 1 charge controller per bank of panels, otherwise they will fight each other. If you make 3 separate strings of panels you can use the 3 charge controllers, provided the voltages of the strings and controllers work together.
That I know is not true because I have two on a standalone system in my garage and they work fine. The only difference there is the charge controllers are connected directly to the batteries without a bus bar. My question was whether introducing the bus bars to expand this idea is workable.

Perhaps I misunderstood? You propose to split 1 positive and 1 negative from a solar panel array into 3 separate MPPT charge controllers?

Perhaps I misunderstood? You propose to split 1 positive and 1 negative from a solar panel array into 3 separate MPPT charge controllers?
Actually no, I misunderstood you. For some reason when I read it the first time my brain didn't process the two strings part correctly, that is what I am actually doing now on the smaller system. My apologies.

the full 150A on the entire charging side (1 AWG basically) or can I get away with connecting the charge controllers with a gauge that supports up to each of their respective max supported currents?
This is ridiculous.

You completely misunderstand what charge controllers do and have completely misunderstood how to setup an array.

What charge controllers do you have (MPPT or PWM)? What are their max input voltages? What are your panel Voc numbers and how many panels?

Back