diy solar

diy solar

Has anybody used the Rosie inverter yet for prime time?

In a form of grid support for example if you set grid support to70% than Rosie will ignore the grid until the battery falls to 69%, During this time IF the loads on Rosie exceed its capability it will pull the rest from the grid. So the first 6KW comes from Rosie the rest will come from the grid if that makes sense?
“Rosie ignores grid until the ““Battery falls to 69%”
ignoring the grid to me means it cannot help the loads on the AC output until the loads are below that settable percentage

Unless “during this time” is referring to when the SOC is above that settable grid support percentage

But that's just not the way inverters work, no one would program it that way. The inverter is rated at 7kW, why would they run it any higher than that when the grid is right there to supplement any power past that?

How about this?
2- In a form of grid support for example if you set grid support to70%,
This next statement is a qualifier providing more information to the quote above.
During this time IF the loads on Rosie exceed its capability it will pull the rest from the grid. So the first 6KW comes from Rosie the rest will come from the grid
It says, "During this time, if..."
That means the time noted previously, as in above 70%
if that makes sense?
Feel free to give me a call 360-403-7207 XT150 and ask for Ryan. If you dont get me leave a message I will call back
I highly recommend you call Ryan, it seems clear to me.
I've called in to Midnight previous about my classic 150 charge controller. Super quick and easy call, a real person answered, it was great!
Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I guess he might have meant to say
that if you set grid support to 70% the grid will then fully power the loads when the battery SOC falls to 69%. When the battery is above 70% SOC and the the inverter is in grid support mode the inverter can supply up to 7kw output and the grid can simultaneously power any loads on the AC output over the inverters 7kw output. The grid can simultaneously support additional loads over the inverters 7kw output up to the max pass through capability.

Last edited:
that if you set grid support to 70% the grid will then fully power the loads when the battery SOC falls to 69%. When the battery is above 70% SOC and the the inverter is in grid support mode the inverter can supply its max output and the grid can simultaneously power any loads on the AC output over the inverters max output. The grid can simultaneously support additional loads over the inverters max output up to the max pass through capability.
I think you've got it, I'd swap out "max" for something more like 7kW or max continuous. If someone else comes along and reads things creatively, they might interpret max as "max" and think 20kva or something that might be better referred to a peak.

But that's just not the way inverters work, no one would program it that way. The inverter is rated at 7kW, why would they run it anu higher than that when the grid is right there to supplement any power past that?
I’m not sure what you mean. But if the grid was to support the load simultaneously to the inverters output but only below a certain SOC that would be a way that many would use it. So that the grid could assist the load when the battery was low..
yes programing the inverter to use the grid simultaneously with inverter output when battery SOC is above a certain percentage is much more advantageous imo and probably what @Halfcrazy meant

I think you've got it, I'd swap out "max" for something more like 7kW or max continuous. If someone else comes along and reads things creatively, they might interpret max as "max" and think 20kva or something that might be better referred to a peak.
Will swap it

So yes, from what has been said here, the Rosie will continue to run at 7kw (it’s max output) and also have the grid simultaneously supply loads (on the AC output) that are above 7kw. This is a great feature. This is similar to what I do with my inverters but I do this in the main panel without moving all of my homes loads from the main panel to a sub panel to be past the inverter..
i suppose a way around this would be to disconnect the grids power supply to the homes main panel. Then have the Rosie be the power supply to the main panel and have the grids connection to the main panel only be possible thru the inverters grid pass thru capability. That’s if the combined inverters output and pass through capabilities can power all the loads in the home. it would actually be best if the pass thru capability on its own was enough to power the home so it can do that when battery SOC is to low..
And that’s the problem right there. Batteries often get low. I don’t think the pass thru of the Rosie is large enough for most homes. That’s where supplying the main panel directly with a smallish inverter and using zero export shines. These are features the Rosie is supposed to have in the future. The loads can then use as much as they want from the grid above the inverters max output up to the homes main service capabilities.
A smallish inverter (in the 4-7kw range) can cover most homes sustained loads because sustained loads rarely exceed that amount, So if all loads are moved after the inverter and the battery gets to low,, then if the pass thru isn’t large enough, those loads can’t be powered.. this scenario makes an inverter with the capability to supply main panel and do zero export a much better choice for someone simply trying to zero out their electric bill and get the most out of their solar. Yes only X amount of loads could be moved to the Rosie’s AC output to stay under its pass thru capabilities, but when those loads are low and there’s still loads in the main panel, the inverter could also be utilizing available solar to power those loads.

Last edited:
My brother boB and I were the founders of MidNite. I also founded Outback. boB and I were also engineers at OutBack and Trace, boB also worked for Magnum while I was starting MidNite. For extra money while getting MidNite going, I did quite a bit of design work for my friends at Magnum also.
boB is living in Arizona and I am in Miami. MidNite Solar is still in Arlington and doing well. boB and I are working on some very cool new inverters that will require all our time. The day to day operations in Arlington are in good hands. The engineers are all very busy continuing their work on the Rosie, Hawke’s Bay, Barcelona, rapid shutdown, a RV inverter, touch screen displays and a fair amount of yet to be announced products. Some of these will be announced and available early next year. We are not sitting on our laurels at all. This stuff is very complicated and difficult for us as we are the only company making this type of equipment in the USA. That puts us at a competitive disadvantage. We do not have deep pockets like some of the larger companies so it is important that we have all our ducks in a row before asking someone like Will to test our new products. Will is a smart hug and any warts we still have would be noticed and commented on. That said, we don’t have any big issues, but we prefer to make sure the design is as perfect as we can make it. NAZs did a review on the Rosie a few months ago. They were impressed with the surge power even though they didn’t even get close to taxing its capabilities. Suffice it to say the Rosie is impressive. It has the highest surge of any inverter in its class and it only weighs 43 pounds. That is no easy feat. We have great engineers. We don’t have as many as we would like to get every feature incorporated as quick as some would like. But, everything is upgradable via Bluetooth. I think Apple is supported too. The Rosie is not grid tied. It is unclear if we will be able to make it grid tied with the same hardware, but that is the goal.
We really do appreciate your support. It is more important than you know.
Thanks,
Robin Gudgel
President,
MidNite Solar

The way I read what @Halfcrazy said was that the grid simultaneously powers the load when battery SOC is below the settable percentage not above.
Correct. For example if you set grid support to 70% the Rosie will ignore the grid when batteries re at 70% or higher. Unless the load exceeds Rosies ability then she will pull the excess from the grid:

1- Battery at 75% and load is 5kw Rosie powers it all
2- Battery at 75% and load is 12kw Rosie powers 6 kw and Grid powers 6kw
3- Battery is at 69% Rosie powers no load and the grid passes through to power loads

“Rosie ignores grid until the ““Battery falls to 69%”
ignoring the grid to me means it cannot help the loads on the AC output until the loads are below that settable percentage
Sorry no I meant it ignores the grid if the loads are in range. If the battery is at 75% and Load exceeds Rosies ability she will pull the extra from the grid

that if you set grid support to 70% the grid will then fully power the loads when the battery SOC falls to 69%. When the battery is above 70% SOC and the the inverter is in grid support mode the inverter can supply up to 7kw output and the grid can simultaneously power any loads on the AC output over the inverters 7kw output. The grid can simultaneously support additional loads over the inverters 7kw output up to the max pass through capability.
Yes essentially that

The Rosie is not grid tied. It is unclear if we will be able to make it grid tied with the same hardware, but that is the goal.
Robin, thanks for stopping in, that's impressive.
But, this section I cut out of your post sort of goes against what Bob and Ryan posted. Their posts make it sound like grid support (and this grid tied) is operational currently.

Can you clarify?

Robin, thanks for stopping in, that's impressive.
But, this section I cut out of your post sort of goes against what Bob and Ryan posted. Their posts make it sound like grid support (and this grid tied) is operational currently.

Can you clarify?
I didn’t gather that from Bob and Ryans post. From what I read the Rosie does not have the ability to operate like a “grid tie“ inverter. It can only supply power out of its AC output to a sub panel. Not to the main panel like a grid tie inverter would operate. However it does have grid support to the loads on the AC output panel. So yes the inverter can be “tied” to the grid but does not operate in grid tie mode like a grid tie inverter would.
the Deye SolArk, Outback, Megarevo, eg4 18k, victron, and quite a few others can all operate like the Rosie but ALSO operate like a grid tie inverter to supply the main panel directly and do zero export. Post #209 explains why this capability is a must to get the most out of the sun. That capability has made it so my electric bills have been basically zeroed out for years with only 4kw of inverters and only 17kwh of batteries.

Last edited:
Correct. For example if you set grid support to 70% the Rosie will ignore the grid when batteries re at 70% or higher. Unless the load exceeds Rosies ability then she will pull the excess from the grid:

1- Battery at 75% and load is 5kw Rosie powers it all
2- Battery at 75% and load is 12kw Rosie powers 6 kw and Grid powers 6kw
3- Battery is at 69% Rosie powers no load and the grid passes through to power loads
Awesome thanks for the clarification.

Back