diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Rosie on sale

All the time.
Keep in mind that most people might not have a load that will stump the Rosie as it is. That compressor supposedly can shut down dual XW's so it's something totally beyond a typical A/C or well pump. Not to get in the way of a still potentially cool feature though.

I'm not sure if you are talking about compressors or maybe something else, BTW ?
Motors, HVAC compressors, water pumps and even small clothes dryer motors pulling 45Arms on startup.
If it's just triacs, they could build that into the motor drive themselves if it helps their product starting up.
All these appliances are built to lowest cost possible and meant to run on "infinite" admittance grid power.

Only new stuff has motor drives, and those could take care of their own starting. But maybe don't, cheap consumer products designed for grid.
Single or Split phase induction motors are going to be the problem. Without hacking into their starting winding (EasyStart), there isn't a lot you can do except have massive surge current. Which you do.
Three-phase motors, there are a variety of schemes including step-down transformers or simply switching winding between Wye and Delta. And that isn't even considering VFD.

I think an optional mode where Rosie maintains max possible current while letting voltage dip could be great for big motor loads. If it works - brush type like your DeWalt compressors it does. Induction motors I've tried 120V into 240V motor and just got smoke. You'll have to experiment and see what is beneficial

People with a well pump or shop tools would rather the lights dimmed than the motor doesn't start. But need to think about what you can get away with without blowing up SMPS. Some handle brownout gracefully, some die.

Induction motors I've tried 120V into 240V motor and just got smoke.
But need to think about what you can get away with without blowing up SMPS. Some handle brownout gracefully, some die.
Good points. I did try my induction motor benchtop drill press with 10A variac set to 90Vac and it did reduce starting surge enough for my 800VA Victron inverter to start it. I was going to try small 5000 BTU AC next.

I was able to start a Harbor Freight compressor with StatPower 2500W MSW, but not a log splitter motor of same ratings.

A more capable inverter should work. I had this from 25 years before, wanted to slap it on my truck for field use.
I could try your Variac experiment, maybe use a transformer to buck. But it is marginal.

Motors, HVAC compressors, water pumps and even small clothes dryer motors pulling 45Arms on startup.

All these appliances are built to lowest cost possible and meant to run on "infinite" admittance grid power.

45A is a walk in the park for either L1, L2 or both for a Rosie. I am very sure the compressor that Ryan here there is way higher than that.

While staying in regulation too. So lots of power available. Until you give her too much for too long. Then she'll give up.

We like trying to start big things ! It's fun ! So your slow-start ramping could be fun, also.

boB

45A is a walk in the park for either L1, L2 or both for a Rosie. I am very sure the compressor that Ryan here there is way higher than that.

While staying in regulation too. So lots of power available. Until you give her too much for too long. Then she'll give up.

We like trying to start big things ! It's fun ! So your slow-start ramping could be fun, also.

boB
Midnite should really consider creating all-in-one units. I mean and Inverter/charger/Mppt Controller. I think there is a market for this that the Solark and EG4/18KPV are occupying. You already have a reputation for making top notch products. Why not make something that has a solid ease of install like these other All-in-one units?

Midnite should really consider creating all-in-one units. I mean and Inverter/charger/Mppt Controller. I think there is a market for this that the Solark and EG4/18KPV are occupying. You already have a reputation for making top notch products. Why not make something that has a solid ease of install like these other All-in-one units?

We are working on this kind of stuff in more than one way.

The ULTIMATE MN Solar AIO will be the B17, if we'd finish it. Had to take a little detour on that unit :)

boB

We are working on this kind of stuff in more than one way.

The ULTIMATE MN Solar AIO will be the B17, if we'd finish it. Had to take a little detour on that unit :)

boB
I know it a long ways off, but I’d like to recommend keeping the max Battery voltage at 65v. Victron, Schneider, Outback all have max battery voltages right around that amount. SolArk/deye however does not.

i already have a charge controller same as most do. I like having that separate. I would simply want the inverter to also have the capability to operate like a grid tie zero export like a true hybrid inverter can.

I know it a long ways off, but I’d like to recommend keeping the max Battery voltage at 65v. Victron, Schneider, Outback all have max battery voltages right around that amount. SolArk/deye however does not.

i already have a charge controller same as most do. I like having that separate. I would simply want the inverter to also have the capability to operate like a grid tie zero export like a true hybrid inverter can.
I'm in complete agreement. . I have 75kwh of battery modules that when fully charged has voltage at 64.8. I don't want to have to break down the battery just to get down to the voltage that the 18kpv and all the other AIO's require. I also have 20kw of the regular 16s batteries from SOK and EG4. But to charge the 64.8v battery modules I had to use a 4kw Samlex evo 48v inverter that can charge up to 65v, and then have that inverter connect to the gen port of my GSL 12KW AIO so I can use those batteries. But because I can't ac couple the Samlex with my AIO, so I have to be careful what loads I put on it otherwise it will trip the inverter. In short it as inefficient setup and I don't know if I've even explained it correctly.
But I agree with the gist of your post here, and it is one of the reasons why I'm even getting this Rosie in the first place.

Last edited:
I'm in complete agreement. . I have 75kwh of battery modules that when fully charged has voltage at 64.8. I don't want to have to break down the battery just to get down to the voltage that the 18kpv and all the other AIO's require. I also have 20kw of the regular 16s batteries from SOK and EG4. But to charge the 64.8v battery modules I had to use a 4kw Samlex evo 48v inverter that can charge up to 65v, and then have that inverter connect to the gen port of my GSL 12KW AIO so I can use those batteries. But because I can't ac couple the Samlex with my AIO, so I have to be careful what loads I put on it otherwise it will trip the inverter. In short it as inefficient setup and I don't know if I've even explained it correctly.
But I agree with the gist of your post here, and it is one of the reasons why I'm even getting this Rosie in the first place.
I use GTIL2 inverters (grid tie zero export) that utilize battery voltage 45-90v. My offgrid inverter uses up to 72v. Chargecontroller is an Outback which charges to like 70 ish volts I think

In a way if you look at a Rosie inverter +Barcelona/hawkes bay scc plus the associated epanels basically gives you an "aio" except it's one big vertical stack on the wall.

A full five? Stack of b27s will keep me satisfied. All those slots to be filled with chargers and inverters....
You lost me with the full five.
What's the B27?
I thought the B17 was a single inverter. What do they mean by modular?
Isn't it just a larger Rosie?

Back