diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone actually used or is using reflectors or mirrors to solve shading?

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're trying to do. I still think you should try my suggestion to get a feel for what you are up against and that's just using one mirror. I think you'll be impressed by quickly the reflection moves.
I'm going to have to figure out what to use to reflect with first I guess then figure out how it actually plays out reflecting. I'll try to get my wife to help me next weekend to test this since it will take two of use working whatever I come up with to reflect the light with.

One other option would be more panels and switch banks during the shaded times. But that would be pretty expensive right now.

I did some experiments with a few panels and some foam insulation board with a foil coating for a reflector. In the end it was easier to add another panel. The reflector had to be adjusted every few minutes, and not always because the cat decided it was the perfect place to sit.

img_2945-jpg.44040

You should build a heliostat that keeps the mirror pointed at the panels all day

Interesting thought experiment. Gain does not justify the time and expense, thinking.

Maybe you have some relative or friend with a desire to try something new and has ability with climbing equipment. Attach safety near top, use a quality pruning saw (not chainsaw; I have a battery powered Stihl with 10” bar[?], it is too crazy unsafe in a tree) and remove limbs starting at the lowest level needed to give more afternoon light to the panels, then continue up to the top. Falling branches will get stuck on intact branches, that will be tricky but shaking or prodding will do it. Just keep cherished beings away.

Can you open burn with a permit in your location? Can you rent a wood chipper? Can you use a bunch of mulch?

If your goal is to remove the entire tree eventually, attach safety near top and start cutting the lowest branches first then working up. When a meth eschewing arborist is working in your area, see if he will let you piggy back your tree trunk removal into his existing job.

Hopefully the time and expense of me writing this is of some worth to someone some day. I would do that job, but I like heights.

We usually wait on them to fall and the insurance company pays for all of the cleanup.

Here's one that fell between my two houses as seen from the carport on the larger house.

This if from the front door. Almost hit my corvette.

This is a shot of the offending pine trees from 25 years ago.

lineville011.jpg

They are a bunch larger now. I need to shoot a newer pic.

How about a mirror and very large magnifying glass and then you can laser trim the top of the trees off with the Sun ?

How about a mirror and very large magnifying glass and then you can laser trim the top of the trees off with the Sun ?
Your not going to believe this but I found chinese laser power tree toppers in my quest for a fix. Bit much money wise but cool !

There are even robots that will take the tree down via topping it till its gone but again expensive :)

I about to build something that will be cool or stupid, not sure which yet.

I have pine trees that shade my panels at 1pm to 2pm each day. I will get them cut down eventually but the moneys not in the cards this year. Its very expensive to get trees removed around here at $5000 a tree I will be looking at $25000 to remove them. Trying to work out a deal on that.

Anyways what I want to do is place mirrors or reflectors to reflect sunlight from the area to the left of the panels to another mirror out in front of the panels and have that one reflect onto the panels so that it reflects onto the panels from 12:30pm to 2:30pm so I get some solar power during that gap. The trees didn't shade them in the summer when I set them up but as it gets further into the fall/winter area its a problem.

I'm just wonder if anyone has done this before or is using something like this now.
Have you seen these solar mast things that track the sun? Think old school roof top TV antenna, crossed with a sail boat. You could pop one into your array, and it would hold up to eight panels.

Back