diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone built a batt bank without solar?

Naterwilson

Has anyone built a battery bank without solar, to be charged with the generator, shore power or by the tow vehicle?

I have a friend that has done this for his motorhome. He charges exclusively from his alternator which works for him b/c he’s never in one place more than a couple days.

sure...its called a UPS hehe
I have 2000W setup using an AIMS inverter/charger as a large capacity UPS that handles all computers, routers, and modems.

Has anyone built a battery bank without solar, to be charged with the generator, shore power or by the tow vehicle?
Sure, but be careful using your alternator to charge anything auxiliary..easy to overcharge agms and blow up your alternator.

By all means, just ensure that you use a decent BMS if using lithium batteries.
Lead acid can just be wired in parallel, just put positive lead on one end of battery string and negative on the other end.

I have grid tied Tesla battery, used to backup sump pumps in our block of units (incase of black-out in wet weather). When the weather is fine, I also use its capacity to offset Peak power charges, then recharge the battery at off-peak rates. There is no solar connected, but i still benefit by charging at off-peak times.

Using an MPPsolar hybrid unit you should be able to achieve your goals. https://www.mppsolar.com/

they have many kinds of units, 12v-48v. with battery, generator and grid connections.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Brian

I am building exactly this right now. I will have 4 12V 280 AH batteries when I finish configuring them. I will be able to configure either 24V @ 560 AH, or 12V @1120 AH.
I am building a charger using Server PSU's from Ebay, and a Buck/Boost converter to make that right.

My end game is to power my 5th wheel trailer for up to three days, then use my inverter generator to recharge as necessary.

I may add solar eventually, but it is not a requirement.

My only decisions now, are exactly what I wish to power in the trailer.
Lights
Audio
TV
Microwave
Coffee maker (maybe)

Yes.

Its purpose is for providing backup power to our home and outbuildings during grid outages. I wrote about it here:

Charging is via grid. If outage is extra long such that battery bank is getting low, I have a generator on hand to supplement power supply.

I do plan to add solar PV to it to be the primary charging source since I may as well use the system to power some stuff off grid during the day (pool pump being main target), while the battery will just act as a bit of ballast and still be ready for backup duties.

There are all-in-one hybrid inverters that do exactly this. Generator is in place of grid... gen charges batteries.

Back