diy solar

diy solar

Having trouble deciding on panels...

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
So have purchased the MPP LVX6048 and a stack of 16 grade A Eve Cells, 304ah with 200a BMS... This will be an off grid system

In addition I have also purchased an EPEver 6415a 60a SCC

Now the manual on the lvx6048 seems to suggest that it can handle 6,000 watts of solar panels... Add up to 450 volts

But when I do the math with only a hundred amp SCC charge controller it ends up closer to about 5,000 Watts (48v x 100a = 4800w). So how do they get off calling it a 6000 SCC?

The EPEver should do right about 2,900 Watts. Maryland I'm adding this so I can have some sense of redundancy and the ability to have just a little more charging capability

So here is where my dilemma comes in.. ideally, shipped to my door I'd like to have at least 6,000 Watts worth of panels closer to 8,000 if possible

I live in rural Kansas right on the Kansas Missouri border about a third of the way down from the top of the state.. maybe an hour south of Kansas City

Now I have considered going with split cell bi-facials. Certainly during the winter, with snow on the ground, especially on a raised groundmount system, these would outperform anything that I could get affordably.. of course Santan solar has some brand new ones 390w from Canadian Solar for only $180 a panel, they do not come with manufacturer's warranty (just over $0.46 per watt)

They also have some used Canadian solar 405 w split cell bi-facials for $158 per panel (Right at $0.39 per watt)

While these are expensive for my budget.. they still bring a lot of benefit in the winter... But all that being said I'm not going to install a white banner underneath them to bounce son back at them.. meaning the only time that I'll really see the benefit of the bipacials is probably 5 to 30 days a year and there's snow on the ground

So I'm not sure if there is actual benefit to buy facials for me I know that the split cell part of it would make everything more resistant to shading even on cloudy days which I suppose the bifacial part would help as well

But truth be told the only time that I'm going to even come close to using the maximum amount of solar power that I can produce is going to be during the summer when I'm running air conditioning so I'm not so sure that it even really matters as my usage is relatively low in the winter

Which brings me to the used 250w and the used 310w... Both of these come in right at $0.25 a watt or so... That's a whole lot more peak power but I don't know that it necessarily translates into more power produced... I know that those are poly crystalline panels and I know that some folks have suggested that the polycrystalline panels tend to tolerate heat a little better than their monocrystalline brethren... Let me certainly do see some heat during the Summers

I think since neither one of these panels has more than a one year warranty that at least takes warranty out of the equation

I suppose one argument for the 250 watt panels that it would be simple to get replacements for them... Santan solar is likely to have these for some time

Now the manual on the lvx6048 seems to suggest that it can handle 6,000 watts of solar panels... Add up to 450 volts

But when I do the math with only a hundred amp SCC charge controller it ends up closer to about 5,000 Watts (48v x 100a = 4800w). So how do they get off calling it a 6000 SCC?
The LVX6048 is capable of 120a of charging from PV, which 51.2v x 120a is 6144w.

Do not multiply it by 48v, as your battery is not 48v nominal. In some cases when the battery is at the upper end of the voltage curve, say in the 55-56v, 120a is 6720w.

You could also hook up much more than 6000w and be safe. If your PV array output 380v at 25a, that is 9.5kW! Just stay under the VOC limit and the 27a ISC of the inverter and you will be fine.

LVX6048 Manual.png

The LVX6048 is capable of 120a of charging from PV, which 51.2v x 120a is 6144w.

Do not multiply it by 48v, as your battery is not 48v nominal. In some cases when the battery is at the upper end of the voltage curve, say in the 55-56v, 120a is 6720w.

You could also hook up much more than 6000w and be safe. If your PV array output 380v at 25a, that is 9.5kW! Just stay under the VOC limit and the 27a ISC of the inverter and you will be fine.

View attachment 87305
That's good to know.. when I was reading up on the charge capabilities of this unit it was listed as being only 100 amps seems that's not the case that's good

I'm kind of leaning towards the 250 watt panels... Primarily because I know that Santan solar will have replacements for them for some time should something go wrong and that losing a panel or two translates into much less loss with a smaller panel than with a larger panel

You could also just buy a few extra, which is always recommended in case you get any Dud's. I have 3x extra 250w panels sitting in storage, but I still wish I went with larger panels.

So have purchased the MPP LVX6048 and a stack of 16 grade A Eve Cells, 304ah with 200a BMS... This will be an off grid system

In addition I have also purchased an EPEver 6415a 60a SCC

The EPEver should do right about 2,900 Watts. Maryland I'm adding this so I can have some sense of redundancy and the ability to have just a little more charging capability

So here is where my dilemma comes in.. ideally, shipped to my door I'd like to have at least 6,000 Watts worth of panels closer to 8,000 if possible

I live in rural Kansas right on the Kansas Missouri border about a third of the way down from the top of the state.. maybe an hour south of Kansas City

Now I have considered going with split cell bi-facials. Certainly during the winter, with snow on the ground, especially on a raised groundmount system, these would outperform anything that I could get affordably.. of course Santan solar has some brand new ones 390w from Canadian Solar for only $180 a panel, they do not come with manufacturer's warranty (just over $0.46 per watt)

They also have some used Canadian solar 405 w split cell bi-facials for $158 per panel (Right at $0.39 per watt)

While these are expensive for my budget.. they still bring a lot of benefit in the winter... But all that being said I'm not going to install a white banner underneath them to bounce son back at them.. meaning the only time that I'll really see the benefit of the bipacials is probably 5 to 30 days a year and there's snow on the ground

So I'm not sure if there is actual benefit to buy facials for me I know that the split cell part of it would make everything more resistant to shading even on cloudy days which I suppose the bifacial part would help as well

But truth be told the only time that I'm going to even come close to using the maximum amount of solar power that I can produce is going to be during the summer when I'm running air conditioning so I'm not so sure that it even really matters as my usage is relatively low in the winter

Which brings me to the used 250w and the used 310w... Both of these come in right at $0.25 a watt or so... That's a whole lot more peak power but I don't know that it necessarily translates into more power produced... I know that those are poly crystalline panels and I know that some folks have suggested that the polycrystalline panels tend to tolerate heat a little better than their monocrystalline brethren... Let me certainly do see some heat during the Summers

I think since neither one of these panels has more than a one year warranty that at least takes warranty out of the equation

I suppose one argument for the 250 watt panels that it would be simple to get replacements for them... Santan solar is likely to have these for some time
Only because you brought up the bi-facials and over the ground mount Will I add my info.
I got 4-445watt bi-facials and tested them a number of times this winter.
39degrees lat north. I believe that’s north of you. I got over 650watts each for 2,600 watts total many days. Just leaning them against garage doors.
If they are mounted above the ground then I think the warrantee and bonus power could be a game changer. It has made me happy for choosing them. Lots of snow here. That’s a good price on those panels.
I will be mounting them off the ground by 36” at bottom and add in a tilt system for best results.
Hope it all works good!

Back