diy solar

diy solar

Heat pump amps spiking (Fixed)

That is not a bad price but I'd have to change my panel configuration since I do not see any mppt's that can handle 7 400watt, 49voc in series...Oh boy will def have to get this thing fixed.
Morningstar has a 600V Tristar Mppt ( I worked with them on the development of the 150V Tristar Mppt )

Sol-ark is 500V max Mppt should be no issue. None of what your doing is new and there are proven solutions for everything.

I wasn’t going to spend $350 on an Easystart on a 22 year old AC knowing that it probably isn’t needed on the a future unit.
I think I paid $200 on fleaBay for the Easy Start, wasn't enough of a help for my Solis 5G to start the old 4 ton York. My actual working solution was to replace the York with a MrCool Ducted 2/3 Ton mini-split ( inverter based ) I also changed the PSC motor with an ECM in the air handler, works fine now with the Solis 5G when running in backup.

In the end, you do what is necessary to get an operational system for your needs, changing the heat pump was lower cost than just the lowest cost Sol-Ark and much more energy efficient and comfort in the home as with the ECM dialed into exactly the needed airflow.

Morningstar has a 600V Tristar Mppt ( I worked with them on the development of the 150V Tristar Mppt )

Sol-ark is 500V max Mppt should be no issue. None of what your doing is new and there are proven solutions for everything.
Welp def going that route if MPP solar does not come through.

Welp def going that route if MPP solar does not come through.

You have to have a reproducible test-case, then find someone within engineering to take it seriously and not be offended that you state the unit has reproducible issues. You have better luck with the lottery in most cases, especially if it is not USA based support.

I think I paid $200 on fleaBay for the Easy Start, wasn't enough of a help for my Solis 5G to start the old 4 ton York. My actual working solution was to replace the York with a MrCool Ducted 2/3 Ton mini-split ( inverter based ) I also changed the PSC motor with an ECM in the air handler, works fine now with the Solis 5G when running in backup.

In the end, you do what is necessary to get an operational system for your needs, changing the heat pump was lower cost than just the lowest cost Sol-Ark and much more energy efficient and comfort in the home as with the ECM dialed into exactly the needed airflow.
I’ve been eyeballing that same mr cool
unit on Amazon. DIY, good reviews, precharged and not too expensive. I’m on the fence not knowing how much longer I’ll be in CA. CA is again changing refrigerants (something flammable, less efficient,but making someone rich) so if I do go for it, it’s got to be soon. The other thing is that’s a heat pump and it would take some conversions to keep the furnace part, get cheep natural gas in this vary localized place(or at least it was). Decisions decisions?

I’ve been eyeballing that same mr cool
unit on Amazon. DIY, good reviews, precharged and not too expensive. I’m on the fence not knowing how much longer I’ll be in CA. CA is again changing refrigerants (something flammable, less efficient,but making someone rich) so if I do go for it, it’s got to be soon. The other thing is that’s a heat pump and it would take some conversions to keep the furnace part, get cheep natural gas in this vary localized place(or at least it was). Decisions decisions?

I did, bought scratch and dent, was less than 2K for the 2/3 ton and a cheap air handler that had a 410A coil ( Mrcool brand ). Didn't bother with the expensive pre-charged lines, paid a local company to do the install, even though I have the tools and have done heat-pump change outs before. Changing the Air Handler which is in the attic isn't something I could do alone.

I spent another $500 and replaced the PSC motor with a ECM and controller, so I now have custom airspeed and psudo 2-stage based on run-time. All in was $5K, more than half the cost of turn key Trane or other brands that are inverter based. Oh and can use any standard thermostat, you should see the costs for the company specific communicating thermostats, some cost over $1k

I doubt gas is lower cost than a heat-pump, this unit will make heat down to -20F and with a SEER of 20, so highly recommended.

So did some testing today. I noticed when the inverter temp is higher than 52c is when I see the issue. I know the manual spec the environment to be that temperature but what about the inverter itself? 52 or higher is usually when the charger kicks in at 40 plus amps. I put a fan on it and helps a tad.

That's pretty warm. Where is it located?
closet under the stairs. I've been thinking of putting it outside but than it'll be real hot unless I put an exhaust fan. I'm blowing air into it now and so far around 48-50c. I wish they would make it F. I'm going to test it again with the fan blasting and when it's sunny outside.

My system is in a climate controlled environment. Which remains at 72 degrees F. At 80 plus amps charging, it sometimes gets up to 40 degrees C. But, that's rare.

closet under the stairs. I

You shouldn't put high energy electronics in a contained space without ventilation.

Typical install locations would be Garage or outside wall in the shade ( if the unit is outdoor rated )

My system is in a climate controlled environment. Which remains at 72 degrees F. At 80 plus amps charging, it sometimes gets up to 40 degrees C. But, that's rare.
Well it is loud so gotta keep it in the closet. Well it is not the temperature but def does it when batts charging. It was at 47c and still high amps on the heat pump. Will have to try taking out the soft start next.

Man that was awful. Not sure what happened but power was gone on the disconnect...had to bypass it. Had to put the soft start back so will have to try it later. I thought i broke the thing.

Well def not the soft start at fault. I removed it. Ian recommended adding another solar panel...I still have 2 to add. I doubt that would do anything.

Oh yeah I plugged a reg incandescent bulb to it and the light bulb does flicker with the voltage drop.

Well def not the soft start at fault. I removed it. Ian recommended adding another solar panel...I still have 2 to add. I doubt that would do anything.
I'm not sure how that would help, either. But, Ian is a great source of information. Definitely knows his stuff.

I'm not sure how that would help, either. But, Ian is a great source of information. Definitely knows his stuff.
Esp since summer time I make too much power to do anything with. Well pump runs ok, fridge, etc. Only the heat pump is causing the spikes up and down...odd

Can't be sure. But, I'm leaning towards a problem with the heat pump. And only the inverter is sensitive enough to pick it up, so far. It could show itself as it worsens.

Also could be a grounding problem between the solar array and the battery. Since it only happens when the battery is charging.

Can't be sure. But, I'm leaning towards a problem with the heat pump. And only the inverter is sensitive enough to pick it up, so far. It could show itself as it worsens.
Well it's not like I can get rid of the heat pump. Those things aren't cheap. Will have to try a different inverter if mpp solar doesn't come thru and so far silence from them.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
Otherwise, I hope that you get it resolved.
Definitely an odd one.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
Otherwise, I hope that you get it resolved.
Definitely an odd one.
thanks. I might have to think of a way to turn off the charging while the heat pump is running...I see no on off switch though

diy solar

diy solar
Back