diy solar

diy solar

Heat pump amps spiking (Fixed)

Yeah I was thinking about that yesterday. I figure I'd wire it to shut off the solar panels when the heat pump is running, but is it safe to turn solar on and off?
Yes, it's not a problem. As long as it's done by something rated to do it.

My 12k's are running in a 64-72F Fujitsu heated/cooled power shed. During daytime operation, my AC electronics temperature is typically 48C. The dc electronics is typically 65C. Max limits are 82C and 100C. These are deep internal temps. I don't know where your temps are measured and the limits. I put labels on my inverters, so I'll have these mfr limits when I need them.

My 12k's are running in a 64-72F Fujitsu heated/cooled power shed. During daytime operation, my AC electronics temperature is typically 48C. The dc electronics is typically 65C. Max limits are 82C and 100C. These are deep internal temps. I don't know where your temps are measured and the limits. I put labels on my inverters, so I'll have these mfr limits when I need them.
Well mine has a temp sensor inside the unit...so I figure since I'm under 50c should be ok. I will have to put them in a shed it looks like...too loud when charging.

OK more screenshots...looks like more screenshots from solar assistant...when the voltage dip occurs, seems like the line isn't balanced, again only happens when bms shows battery is charging, so a positive
1662400592663.png

It seems adding 2 more panels made it somewhat worse.

If this was my problem, I'd give up on this and move forward, this is clearly a unproved design, you have proven it can't handle even moderate loads when charging the battery. Don't waste a penny on things to abort charging, you will need those watts!!

If this was my problem, I'd give up on this and move forward, this is clearly a unproved design, you have proven it can't handle even moderate loads when charging the battery. Don't waste a penny on things to abort charging, you will need those watts!!
You're saying I shouldn't wait for MPP solar? Just get my money back from watts247?

You're saying I shouldn't wait for MPP solar? Just get my money back from watts247?

I really have never looked into these cheap AIO because of the certification concerns and I am not at all surprised they have issues. What you have is the inverter cannot be trusted to supply a backup load ( within it's 6 kw specification ) while it is charging the battery. That to me is games over, move on and lesson learned.

Do what you feel is best!, but in every project there comes a time it is not worth the effort to stay the course. My advise, get a tier one product as in the end, this unit you have will never perform for your application and you will be much better off spending your time else where.

I really have never looked into these cheap AIO because of the certification concerns and I am not at all surprised they have issues. What you have is the inverter cannot be trusted to supply a backup load ( within it's 6 kw specification ) while it is charging the battery. That to me is games over, move on and lesson learned.

Do what you feel is best!, but in every project there comes a time it is not worth the effort to stay the course. My advise, get a tier one product as in the end, this unit you have will never perform for your application and you will be much better off spending your time else where.
Pretty sure I'd have to return it since I don't see MPP Solar answering emails in a timely manner. If it is a simple firmware update I might be up for it but I've heard horror stories about it failing and bricking the inverter. It's just really odd that others have used it fine with their heat pump and it won't work with mine. At least I can run the ac since it's raining out.

These units have performed very well for probably half of the members in this forum. No need to hand over your bank account for a tier one. Unless you just have extra money to burn. If it's a problem with your AIO. (Still not convinced that it is, yet) then it's just a matter of getting it fixed or replaced. Some people like to bash on the more affordable products. But, all that you have to do is watch the threads, here. To see what's working out and what's not. You can spend your money wisely, without spending all of your money. The saying is "you get what you pay for". But, I prefer to get more than my money's worth. If it were to only last half as long, but costs less than one quarter of the price. I call it a win.

These units have performed very well for probably half of the members in this forum. No need to hand over your bank account for a tier one. Unless you just have extra money to burn. If it's a problem with your AIO. (Still not convinced that it is, yet) then it's just a matter of getting it fixed or replaced. Some people like to bash on the more affordable products. But, all that you have to do is watch the threads, here. To see what's working out and what's not. You can spend your money wisely, without spending all of your money. The saying is "you get what you pay for". But, I prefer to get more than my money's worth. If it were to only last half as long, but costs less than one quarter of the price. I call it a win.
Well an inverter should be able to power all devices if the surge capability exists. It is almost there it just can't run the heat pump while it's charging. I guess it can't do 2 things at once. I did research some prices and looks to be out of my budget at the moment. I wonder if 2 of the high freq ones would do the job. I'm still thinking I should rig something to shutdown 1 of the solar panel string when there is a call for the heat pump, if MPP does not come through. I figure by the time they answer and come up with a solution my return window is bye bye. I have until the 15th. It was fine with 1 string since normally the heat pump will use more power than the string can produce. Add the second string in parallel and than it's making too much.

If it works with one string. Have you tried each string by itself? Maybe the problem is with the newest string added.

If it works with one string. Have you tried each string by itself? Maybe the problem is with the newest string added.
I could try that but one string is not enough to simulate the problem. When the bms says 0 or a positive number is when the issue occurs.

Could the JK bms cause an issue like this? I do have a new 150amp version that I ordered as backup.

Oh I've also run the heat pump with a diesel generator before. Still have it. Granted it was 5k when it was new...bought it at auction with 50 hours on it for 800.

I heard back from MPP....their response was "can you elaborate." Swapped out bms today for the heck of it. I thought it fixed it but did not last for long. Tried to get Ian on the phone but did not get thru, and earlier got vm from him. Oh well there isn't much he can do anyway from the look of it. MPP or bust.

I heard back from MPP....their response was "can you elaborate." Swapped out bms today for the heck of it. I thought it fixed it but did not last for long. Tried to get Ian on the phone but did not get thru, and earlier got vm from him. Oh well there isn't much he can do anyway from the look of it. MPP or bust.
Did you purchase through Ian?
If so, he's good about taking care of his customers.

diy solar

diy solar
Back