diy solar

diy solar

Heavy duty busbar advice (+600A)

Also just a note on this going back over these posts:

If you put these in parallel using their parallel cables, make sure that you don't pull 1C from the batteries, becaues that would melt the 50mm2 cable that comes with. I would say max 200A from the whole pack(they are rated at 250A, but recommended max is 200A), if you need to go higher then you need to do that same as I am doing.
That's a great point! One that never seems to get mentioned which has stood out at as odd to me. It's been my plan the whole time.

Last edited:
Back to BusBars....
I've bought commercial ones, I've made my own from 110 Pure Copper Bar Stock and other assortments for various uses.
Do NOT Mess with cheap stuff that looks good but can melt down and fry our keister ! They MUST be considered a Safety Item (like what isn't hehehe)

Here's a vid from David Poz that makes the point quite well... Heed what he says, could save a lot of grief.

Would be nice to see a vid with Overloaded Busbars failing and melting down and even vaporizing but some courageous character would have to set that up to do it safely.

I have a two 600 amp continuous 8 stud Blue Sea Busbars in my build. My busbars are 12” long.

This is the one I bought:

The same site lists the CE certificate for download.

If you get these, recommend getting the covers when you purchase them. I have seen the covers listed on the blue sea site before, but don’t see them now.

I have a two 600 amp continuous 8 stud Blue Sea Busbars in my build. My busbars are 12” long.

If you get these, recommend getting the covers when you purchase them. I have seen the covers listed on the blue sea site before, but don’t see them now.
I'm not the OP and I'm good for busbars. @da9el84 ^

Thanks, but still shipping from the US to here + customs. Might as well grab the Victron Lynx Power In :) But thanks

Thanks, but still shipping from the US to here + customs. Might as well grab the Victron Lynx Power In :) But thanks
For 3x batteries and 3x inverters I suggest you get 1 power-in and 1 distributer and connect them together by the backplane.
If you need a shunt you can put that between them.
Lynx is expensive and modular.
Its a shame to have top shelf batteries and inverters and cheap out on the balance of the system.

power_in<->shunt<->distributor

For 3x batteries and 3x inverters I suggest you get 1 power-in and 1 distributer and connect them together by the backplane.
If you need a shunt you can put that between them.
Lynx is expensive and modular.
Its a shame to have top shelf batteries and inverters and cheap out on the balance of the system.

power_in<->shunt<->distributor

I don't really need neither the shunt nor the distributor. The logic of my setup sits in the inverters talking to the BMS's.

What would I gain from adding these components?

I don't really need neither the shunt nor the distributor. The logic of my setup sits in the inverters talking to the BMS's.

What would I gain from adding these components?
If you don't need a shunt then by all means don't use one.
That would leave a topo like this

power_in<->distributor

You have 6 objects that need to be connected.
This gives you one spare branch on the power-in and one spare branch on the distributor.

Since the batteries should have over-current protection of sufficient breaking capacity as close as possible to the battery positive terminal landing on a fused branch is unnecessary and adds resistance.
Also the mega fuses don't have anywhere near the breaking capacity for a 48 volt lfp battery.

The Deye units are fine to be landed on the fused position so the distributor is a good fit.
They are fine because the branch fuse is not the last line of defence for a dead short.
They are there to protect the branch wire and to possibly isolate a fault to a single branch.

The busbar ampacity is thick enough that relative resistance of the different positions are just noise compared to the possible resistance of the joinery between the backplanes.

Put another way the combination of the power-in and distributor means that all devices share the load equitably if configured as described.

If you don't need a shunt then by all means don't use one.
That would leave a topo like this

power_in<->distributor

You have 6 objects that need to be connected.
This gives you one spare branch on the power-in and one spare branch on the distributor.

Since the batteries should have over-current protection of sufficient breaking capacity as close as possible to the battery positive terminal landing on a fused branch is unnecessary and adds resistance.
Also the mega fuses don't have anywhere near the breaking capacity for a 48 volt lfp battery.

The Deye units are fine to be landed on the fused position so the distributor is a good fit.
They are fine because the branch fuse is not the last line of defence for a dead short.
They are there to protect the branch wire and to possibly isolate a fault to a single branch.

The busbar ampacity is thick enough that relative resistance of the different positions are just noise compared to the possible resistance of the joinery between the backplanes.

Put another way the combination of the power-in and distributor means that all devices share the load equitably if configured as described.

I am planning something like this
1660495898820.png

I don't really want fuses in my system if I can avoid it, would rather have breakers trip in case of a fault.

I don't see the distributor adding anything to the above scenario?

I am planning something like this
View attachment 106819

I don't really want fuses in my system if I can avoid it, would rather have breakers trip in case of a fault.

I don't see the distributor adding anything to the above scenario?
I know of only one breaker I trust at 250 amps.
I don't know of any at 325 amps.

I prefer fuses except for strategic points of disconnect.
I just don't trust breakers even magnetic ones at that amperage.
I would rather replace a fuse than worry about a pitted contactor.

If it were me I would use a double pole disconnect on the pv side for each mppt instance.
The deye will have its own means of disconnect for the inverter, confirm?
The BMS probably has a means of administrative disconnect for each battery, confirm?

You could use 1x power-in and stick a deye on each end of the backplane and the last one on an unfused branch position.

I know of only one breaker I trust at 250 amps.
I don't know of any at 325 amps.

I prefer fuses except for strategic points of disconnect.
I just don't trust breakers even magnetic ones at that amperage.
I would rather replace a fuse than worry about a pitted contactor.

If it were me I would use a double pole disconnect on the pv side for each mppt instance.
The deye will have its own means of disconnect for the inverter, confirm?
The BMS probably has a means of administrative disconnect for each battery, confirm?

Why wouldn't I trust rated equiptment to do what it's rated for?

We are not talking pv side right now, just batteries :)
The inverter has a manual switch for PV
The BMS has a disconnect in case of +215A hitting it and a shutoff function. Idk if the shutoff will protect it though, not counting on it

You could use 1x power-in and stick a deye on each end of the backplane and the last one on an unfused branch position.
If you're talking about using this as a connection it probably wont fly as it's not inside the enclosure

I don't mind getting 2.

1660497333514.png

Its commonly done.
If you are concerned, cover with heat shrink or Kapton tape.

Danish regulations is quite different from US I believe. I'll be buying 2 and doing it "right". 200$ is nothing in the grand solution. I just didn't wan't to pay through my nose for encased copperbars with a few bolts on them.

Why wouldn't I trust rated equiptment to do what it's rated for?
I can't answer for you but I've seen videos that show how even reputable rated breakers get pitted at that amperage.
Once they are pitted they are more likely to weld shut.

We are not talking pv side right now, just batteries :)
The pv side disconnect de energizes the pv side of the panel which serves as a means of disconnect for the bat side.
The solar charge controller is a load at that point.
The inverter has a manual switch for PV
Cool there is your means of disconnect.
The BMS has a disconnect in case of +215A hitting it and a shutoff function. Idk if the shutoff will protect it though, not counting on it
Doesn't it have a way to administratively open the charge and discharge fets?

Last edited:
Back