diy solar

diy solar

Hello all. New to this and still learning

Nebuchadnezzar

Hi all, this might be a simple question for some of you. I have just acquired 3x250w panels which I've put on the roof of my boat. Each panel is putting out around 34v (cloudy day today) and combined about 102v. I have a 12v system of 3x100ah batteries. Which charge controller would be best ? Also, apart from an isolation switch is there anything else I should have in this system ? Any advise would be much appreciated, it all adds to my knowledge of solar and it's possibilities.

The assumption is that you're going to wire them in series, which puts the voltage up pretty high, so you'll want a controller that will handle that. MPPT required for that kind of voltage.
Victron = $$$
EPEver = $$

You'll want a PV disconnect, a mini DC two-pole breaker is popular, so you can disconnect the panels with out having to go out and unplug them.
A switching breaker on the battery leads for the controller.

Setup your charging parameters for the battery chemistry you have. If they're lead acid you have about 150Wh usable, lifepo4 at 90% would be about 270Ah. The 750W of panels should give you about max 50Ah of charging.

Are you running an inverter off this system?
Do you intend to charge batteries with the engine alternator(s)?

I would probly choose the Victron 150|45 if your panels are flat-mounted. You might still be a little over-paneled depending on the amp-rating of the panels.

https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...harge-controller-MPPT-150-35-&-150-45-EN-.pdf

The Epever Tracer 6415AN would also work, might even suit your PV output better - 60A max output. And save you some $$
For 12V Solar System: 750W solar panel (150V for max input voltage 138V@ 25C)

Victron is just really nice stuff, and their BT app interface is excellent. Epever is good, but not to the same level. Kind of like comparing chevy to porsche.

Hi, thanks for the response. I have mains hookup with a 40amp charger to keep my batteries topped up. I have an inverter to power everything when I'm running on batteries. I think all I need is a way to put the max charge into the batteries (flooded lead acid).

Would I be better wiring the panels separately (with thier own charge controller) or together in series ?
Each panel says on the back 8.6a @ 36v

Hi, thanks for the response. I have mains hookup with a 40amp charger to keep my batteries topped up. I have an inverter to power everything when I'm running on batteries. I think all I need is a way to put the max charge into the batteries (flooded lead acid).

Would I be better wiring the panels separately (with their own charge controller) or together in series ?
Each panel says on the back 8.6a @ 36v
No. You're far better off with them wired together, either in parallel or in series, with one controller. It would make zero sense to have three ten-amp controllers. You could also do parallel configuration without any issues. 36V panels are grid-type, but can be utilized for 12V with a proper controller.

150Ah, usable storage, is not very much - what size inverter do you have and what do you run on it? A typical 1000W inverter would zero-out your battery in just over an hour.

An mppt solar controller will take the 8.6A @ 36V and convert it to charging voltage, generally around 14.5V, so figure you could get max 300W or 20A at 15V. Generally it make sense to de-rate output estimate to about 80% for real-world usage. The factory specs are done at full direct sun with zero angle at 70*F. Your operating conditions are bound to be less ideal.

I doubt you could get 60A out of them, but a controller rated for 150V and 60A would leave you some headroom while providing maximum capacity of your system. Figure about 45A in ideal conditions.

If you're going to stick with FLA, consider 4 golf cart batteries - 2S2P - the big Trojans are pretty nice and have worked well for years. That would give you about 200Ah usable. 12V marine/RV/deep cycle are just so-so for durability, longevity tends to be not so good. But keeping them fully charged goes a long way for longevity.

Lifepo4 is like jet-fuel, but surely at a much higher cost and complexity.

BTW, what kind of boat, and power?
I've spent a lifetime messing about in boats, from small to large, both sail and power. :love:

BTW, what kind of boat, and power?
I've spent a lifetime messing about in boats, from small to large, both sail and power. :love:
Canal barge. 12ft wide by 50ft long. Used to have an engine with hydraulic pump. But all that remains is the hydraulic drive head on the end of the prop. I currently have an outboard for propulsion hence the need for solar to keep the batteries charged. I was given the panels and so I'm just trying to figure out how to best use them.

In a perfect world I'd have the whole roof covered by panels (there's room for 21) and an electric drive motor aswell. But my bank balance says no, not yet. So one piece at a time

Back