diy solar

diy solar

hello from Texas

TexasDrgSqd

We had a major freeze with no power for about a week in Texas a while back.
I know nothing about solar and am not physically capable of putting together a system from the ground up.
I am looking for a portable system with plug in rain/snow proof panels that will run a small space heater, for 2 to 3 days while its below freezing outside.

in a perfect world, i would also like to charge two cellphones once a day as well

Does a system like this exist?

I have been looking at the Bluetti ac200MAX & PV200x3 combo which is on sale until tomorrow, however it seems like this would be way over what i need?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as i plan to buy a system i as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, nothing like that exists in a sane context. The unit you're considering is horribly insufficient for your stated use.

Electric heat is painful to solar/battery systems. A "small space heater" is 1000W which might keep one room comfortable when it's bone-chillingly cold like it was back in Feb.

The unit you reference has a mere 2048Wh of capacity. That means you could run the space heater for about 2 hours.

The PV kit is only 200W. IN FULL SUMMER WITH PERFECT TILT, ORIENTATION AND ALL-DAY SUN EXPOSURE (not likely to get in Feb when it's cold/cloudy and the sun is far South), you might get 1200Wh of energy collected.

In PERFECT CONDITIONS, that combo could power your space heater for about 3 hours the first day. At that point, the battery would be completely dead. Assuming perfect sun, you could power the space heater for about an hour every day.

Let's look at their largest bundle for $15K:

That has a capacity of about 16kWh. That would allow you to run a small space heater for 16 hours.

1200W of solar would allow you harvest about 7kWh in perfect summer sun all day - allowing you to run the space heater for about another 7 hours.

So, their $15K system would allow you to run the space heater for about 23 hours the first day and about 7 hours every day thereafter. Again, with perfect summer sun. February sun and weather is going to dramatically reduce the solar collected.

A 1500-2000W gas generator and 20 gallons of fuel is way more practical/cost effective to power a "small space heater" for 2-3 days.

Unfortunately, nothing like that exists in a sane context. The unit you're considering is horribly insufficient for your stated use.

Electric heat is painful to solar/battery systems. A "small space heater" is 1000W which might keep one room comfortable when it's bone-chillingly cold like it was

Thank you very much for the reply. I will go some other route.

I will go some other route.
If talking about a heater, look at the propane heaters from Mr Heater ( model: Buddy), that are safe for indoor use. Propane is relatively cheap and has a very long shelf life.

Then, the Bluetti and like portable battery packs may be enough for your electrical needs (refrigerator and phone?). Your energy audit will be critical in determining your solution.

hello!

commend you on making efforts to prepare for odd events.

heated blanket can deliver heat very efficiently to body, just a thought

1635961145911.png

charging cell phone and running a 20-100W heated blanket seems much more feasible than a space heater.

of course, not heating the room, which might be needed depending on requirements

the Mr Buddy heater and electric blanket i never thought about.
I will look into both

Thank you all for the replys.

I'm in Texas and have similar worries. A few friends near us lost power for several days in a row. I agree the gas generator is the most economical/practical solution, just not the funnest one ;). So I bought an Ecoflow power station bundled with one of their solar panels. To keep warm I got the family a few cheap ($25 each) DC electric blankets with car cigarette lighter cords. We will keep them in the cars for emergencies and bring them in for the power station if needed. They each pull about 40 Watts, so I figure we can keep a couple going all night on a power station charge. Then recharge in the morning. They don't go through the inverter, so are be more efficient than the AC versions. I also got a small personal space heater that pulls 400W and a small hot plate. May add an electric kettle.

I know it's overkill and a little silly, but most of it was the fun researching. It brought me to this forum and now I want solar with a giant set of batteries. The technology has really come a long way. The forum is interesting.

I'm in Texas and have similar worries. A few friends near us lost power for several days in a row. I agree the gas generator is the most economical/practical solution, just not the funnest one ;). So I bought an Ecoflow power station bundled with one of their solar panels. To keep warm I got the family a few cheap ($25 each) DC electric blankets with car cigarette lighter cords. We will keep them in the cars for emergencies and bring them in for the power station if needed. They each pull about 40 Watts, so I figure we can keep a couple going all night on a power station charge. Then recharge in the morning. They don't go through the inverter, so are be more efficient than the AC versions. I also got a small personal space heater that pulls 400W and a small hot plate. May add an electric kettle.

I know it's overkill and a little silly, but most of it was the fun researching. It brought me to this forum and now I want solar with a giant set of batteries. The technology has really come a long way. The forum is interesting.

This is probably the only viable use for one of those units in that type of situation.

40W sounds very low. Did you monitor it's use over time?

We use electric blankets to keep the bed toasty warm while the RV propane furnace maintains about 45-50°F when it's 20 outside.

I monitored it for about 15 minutes and it hovered around 43W. I read similar values from several reviews before buying it. It's not the hotest electric blanket. I suppose they keep it low for the smallest fuses in some car cigarette outlets.

The small space heater ramps up to about 550W then actually settles around 396W. Won't last long on one of these battery stations, but it's a nice little heater.

I didn't realize there are propane devices that are safe indoors. That's really good to know. I finally converted all my gas lawn equipment to electric, so a gas generator is less attractive. But I have been thinking about a small propane/dual fuel version.

I monitored it for about 15 minutes and it hovered around 43W. I read similar values from several reviews before buying it. It's not the hotest electric blanket. I suppose they keep it low for the smallest fuses in some car cigarette outlets.

Gotcha. A comforter on top of the electric blanket helps keep the heat in.

The small space heater ramps up to about 550W then actually settles around 396W. Won't last long on one of these battery stations, but it's a nice little heater.

Yeah. Don't even think about using it.

I didn't realize there are propane devices that are safe indoors. That's really good to know.

The RV propane furnace is built into the RV. The combustion does not take place indoors. It's similar to a gas furnace in a home.

I have seen some kerosene heaters that claim to be indoor-safe:

Back