diy solar

diy solar

Help: Are solar systems vulnerable to EMP's or CMA's??? / panels/controllers/inverters/batteries/ or wiring???? Any guides lines for protection if so?

BobbyP

Are solar systems vulnerable to EMP's or CMA's??? /panels/controllers/inverters/batteries/
wiring??? And if so, any advice or guidelines for protection there of???

There's an interesting article about this subject on the Sol-Ark website you might want to read. Basically, anything with a semiconductor junction is at risk but there are many factors (magnitude, distance, etc.) that determine the survivability of a device. My personal opinion is that, if you are experiencing such an event, you probably have more to worry about than keeping your coffee hot or your beer cold :).

my neighbor got the hardened sol-arc-its wone of the few that offer that.
The downside is you have to use lead batterties no more mondern ones if I recall for backup power.
I agree that if a EMP war breaks out this will be a moot point

All electronics are susceptible to EMP's.
Some have built-in protection. Or you can add external protection.
Or, you can just hope that it never happens.
And I agree with the general consensus. You can't protect everything.

I'm sure there are some uses for electricity if there is an emp event, but most of what we power these days will likely be destroyed. Maybe thinks like well pumps, and motors will be okay but most other stuff. poof. Best to hire a professional with experience if you want to do emp hardening.

I've never been a big fan of Ted Koppel but you might want to read his book Lights Out (ISBN 978-0-553-41997-9, 2015) on the subject. It will scare the lights (no pun intended) out of you.

My solution:

1. Build a Faraday cage or three,

2. Buy multiples of charge controllers and inverters to hold in reserve in your Faraday cage(s,)
3. Stick with lead acid batteries, which do not use microprocessor BMS.

It's a matter of preparation and survival.
I choose to forego the boutique batteries and all-in-one devices in favor of having electricity in my off-grid cabin after an EMP event.

Back