diy solar

diy solar

Help - Complete van build

Hammack173

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the forum. Please let me know If I can be directed to a better source already made with in this forum.

I'm ready to tackle my van's aux electrical system and need some help.

I purchased a van with an electrical system already in place. The past 3 years of owning it I've done many mods to the van itself and the electrical got pushed to the side as the van evolved. It came with 3 AGM 100ah Odysee batteries mounted underneath the van. welded and bolted in a creative manner that made them extremely difficult to remove when the 4x4 chasis was installed. I could not get them to charge so they are currently sitting in the garage. I don't know if they are gonners or not. It also came with 5 120 outlets and a few 12v plugs and accessories. All the wiring for this was ran through the roof down directly to the outlets and 12v plugs. So when I had a 24" fiberglass hightop installed all those wires had to be pulled. Basically I'm left with 5 outlets (re-wired to a central zone) and some odd and end parts like a 120v fuse box as wells as a 12v fuse box.

What I'm looking to do is have shore power, altenator power, solar power options. I've watched Will's videos of the MPP inverter which looks very inviting as a cost effective option. I'm not sure if that's doable wanting to take advantage of all Solar, shore, and altenator power while being connected to me 2 138ah lithium Valence battery bank. I'm planning on adding 2 175w solar panels to my roof rack.

What I'm looking to gain is diagram of exactly how to accomplish this. I've looked at every diagram I could find through google but can not find exactly what I think I need. I want a smart inverter/charger that can take care of all the headache of worrying about how the power is moving throughout the system. Same with the B2B I'm looking at the Sterling BB1230 so my altenator doesn't get over worked. I'm on a budget but willing to spend extra on the best products for my needs. My needs are a self sustained system that I can be tracked as well as have the data stored.

I really hope someone out there can help! I'm ready to order parts today to get this project started. I've attached a video of the current state of the van that I sent to a local outfitter that quoted me at $11,000 to install what I wanted... haha

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Van.jpg
    Van.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 4
Maybe not on Mobile-solar. Definitely here. I know there are a bunch of folks using a Victron DC-DC charger to handle the alternator. I think there is a unit that takes shore power too.
Try a search on "alternator" on this site and see what you find. When you get to a page, search the page for Victron or DC-DC first.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone will chime in. But you've narrowed it down to less than your original post (information is good and leads to good solutions but sometimes hard to wade thru... double edged sword until you get the experts on this topic involved... they are here!).

This image is so very close to what I'm looking to make. My question is how do I include shore power to this as well? -- Finally pulled the trigger on Will's book to educate myself rather than demanding answers. Still though, if you anyone could supply me with a diagram that'd be fantastic!

Attachments

• 122-fgood_2_orig.jpg
    122-fgood_2_orig.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 8
This image is so very close to what I'm looking to make. My question is how do I include shore power to this as well? -- Finally pulled the trigger on Will's book to educate myself rather than demanding answers. Still though, if you anyone could supply me with a diagram that'd be fantastic!

One way is to swap the inverter for an inverter/charger.
Most inverter/chargers also have an automatic transfer switch.
Which means that it passes shore power through when its available and switches to the inverter so quick when its not your computer will not even notice. That would also give you 3 charge sources.

1. panels via the dc-dc charger.
2. alternator via the dc-dc charger.
3. shore power via the inverter/charger.

You would need to manage that, as 3. plus 1. and/or 2. could be too much for your batteries.

Last edited:
Yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be missing it. Is there a diagram for Shore, Solar, and Altenator power options? While also allowing for 120 ac and 12v dc connections?

something like this - https://www.explorist.life/?da_image=51400

I'm pretty sure Will hasn't covered anything like that before.

Here is Victron's version, It's complex but I've spend maybe 2 full hours pouring over it over the past couple months, and gained a lot of insight and ideas from it. That is just one of their sample schematics, if you go to their website, most of their products link to schematics specific to them. And the free e-book Wiring Unlimited has lots of good info and examples too.

I spend a long time looking for a simple schematic with all the components you mentioned, in the end the Victron was the closest I found (but is far from simple and uses a lot of Victron specific components that aren't necessary in some cases).

My recommendation is to slowly design your own schematic starting simple with just the battery + solar, and gradually adding in systems as you learn about them. Most components have simple wiring diagrams, to a large degree building your own schematic just requires combining them together in a logical way, its intimidating when you think of it as one big system, but if you just go bit by bit, its not that complex.

With the disclaimer that this is a very early first draft, that I'm learning as I go, and that it almost certainly contains some errors, here is an early draft diagram of my planned setup that may be of some use to you. It includes solar and alternator charging circuits, DC and AC (inverter) load circuits, and leaves room for an optional AC charging circuit in the future (shorepower or generator). Its a simple 2 outlet inverter, so no AC wiring.

TWa428B.png

Fullsize Diagram

Last edited:
Back