diy solar

diy solar

Help us design a rack-mounted system for the UK

Hi me again,recently installed fogstar rack battery to silis 3.6 hybrid inverter,battery shows to be connected in app,CAN connected,woke this morning to battery down to 38% and solar going to grid not battery?? any help appreciated on settings.Also set battery to pylon in bms tool first then pylon on inverter!?

I am no expert, but your problem sounds like inverter settings, not battery

Thanks Urge38,will look at inverter settings when i get in from work,the app showed battery light up and did discharge a very small amount,it was last thing at night,then this morning its greyed out but shows still there and charge has gone down!!

Thanks Urge38,will look at inverter settings when i get in from work,the app showed battery light up and did discharge a very small amount,it was last thing at night,then this morning its greyed out but shows still there and charge has gone down!!
So don't keep us hanging, what was the result of your investigation?

Contacted ben at fogstar and hes sent the solis update file to update and i was using the rs485 or whatever number rather than the CAN cable??? but all is charging and discharging,but need another battery as full just now and still sending power back to grid?,thanks ben and all in here who helped and advised much appreciated,no doubt il have more questions by tonight? so keep an eye out??.

fogstar ESR51.2v pace bms on Victron Os with Can bus yes you can this providing Victron QA department do not miss any more wrongly made ve can to bms can cable that's three going back see below

Last edited:
Right fogstar energy ESR51.2V rack battery comm with Victron OS using VE Can

Victron VE. can to battery BMS can bus type b cable required
Use the supplied RS232 to USB communication cable and the PbmsTools software to check and setup the BMS can inverter protocols (password needed ) supplied with software down load ( set Can bus port to Victron-Can this is fund in system Config )

at the Victron end vrm portal enter remote console go to setting page and scroll down to the services page to find Can port set up and set it can bus bms (500KBS) next check network status IMG_2023-06-17-19-44-19-027.jpgIMG_2023-06-17-19-44-43-842.jpg

you packet's go to and from BMS and you will be able set up main page display battery and also under devices new addon called Victron showing battery IMG_2023-06-17-19-45-41-095.jpg cell voltages max & min and so on

if you using PI 4 with latest Venus OS you can add wave hat can port pcb load drives on and set it up information for this can be find at the off grid garage

Last edited:
can someone detail what advantages there is to be gained by fine tuning your battery BMS

what else can you gain from playing around with BMS settings ??

I was thinking this very question,

I have pre paid for mine, and if you go to the forstar email, with payment recipt, it has a link to check statuse of your order
Still on track, have had to put newer orders back until end of July due to rework of cabinets (making them smaller)

But if your order said end of June, or you just ordered batteries then still on track.

Ive not had my order as yet

waiting on a server rack battery for a month now,

also waiting to get the new firmware update for my older rack batteries

any new news plz Ben ?

would it be weird to tell the world i love my Seplos Mason L (upright) case from Fogstar?
No... but now I'm intrigued why...

Are we talking of its overall design/looks, shape, colour, small footprint, price, performance, has lots of buttons to press? Or all of the above? ;)

Back