diy solar

diy solar

2023: BMS Systems Changing & Improving

Can add another one after seeing it on Andy's Garage. https://www.gobelpower.com/gobel-rn...85-rs232-screen-for-lifepo4-battery_p104.html

$360 shipped to USA :rolleyes:.. Still don't know much and seems Andy will review it in more details in next video. But already seems to have lot more capability then the JK BMS.

I thought the same

There are actually two models that could be worth looking into
Gobel RN150 BMS (150A)
Gobel PC200 BMS (200A)

There seem to be zero documentation though on either..

I'm still having trouble justifying that price.. it should have at least had an active balancer built-in and thorough documentation.

Good Day Folks,

Well here we are in April 2023 and things are changing fast post "Covidus Interruptus" and good things are happening ! Prices stabilizing and even going down in some sectors (not food sadly), new bigger, better & more capable products including BMS'.

After converting all of my battery packs in my Bank from Chargery BMS to JKBMS things have been working very well and without issues and their 2A Active Balancing works a treat. Sadly JK shot self in foot with lowering their Quality and not following through on issues and essentially going dark when they should be communicating with people. So I have been keeping a "Lazy Eye" on BMS development and this spring everything is changing for the better.

NOTE: I have NOT tested any of these BMS below yet. I am presently leaning towards the TDT BMS and depending on what my contacts "on the ground" come up with I hope to be testing soon.

BMS' that are worthy of attention for good reason.
PACE BMS is used by Jakiper & Others for their prebuilt battery packs and these have shown good communication & compatibility with Victron etc.
They have the RS232/485 & CanBus (works out of box by default) as well as being linkable together. They have limited 8S Versions but are mostly 16S for 48V battery systems. PACE also produces HVDC BMS's for >48V but that crosses into other areas.
I did locate PACE 16S/100A with all the goodies for $130 USD on Global Sources.
More info on PACE here: http://bms.paceic.com/en/bms/

EVE BMS ! Yes BMS' by EVE Battery Tech co...
EVE has been producing cells of course but also complete battery systems like the popular 48V/100AH Server Racks and a lot more. They use their own BMS of course and they are now also becoming publicly available. They are also quite feature/function filled.
- General Info is only now coming available as they start offering them.
More "basic" info available here(16S/48V/200A): https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/EVE-EBS48-BMS-48V-Lifepo4-Battery_1600753983743.html

TDT BMS another Growing & Expanding company that produces similar BMS' to PACE but their own flavour.
This is not a new company but has moved slowly & cautiously up to their current offerings.
Tradie reviews show these to be quite good with good compatibility as well, at very good price points as well.
Passive Balancing with option for Active Balancing module up to 5A.
MANY options for displays & interface boards etc... (not that common, this is a bonus)
REASONABLY PRICED TOO !
More Info HERE: https://sztdttech.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-903398691/Energy_storage_BMS.html
NOTE: Lots of browsing in the above link.

I am certain there are several others with Advanced Smart BMS' that have PC/Mac Software, Proper Compatible Comms via CANbus and RS with a respectable display (not power hog), and the plug-in interface boards etc...

PLEASE NOTE to Readers / Responders.
Feel free to add BMS Companies that have come out with new Smart & Advanced BMS' and if you actually have them and are using/testing them...
PLEASE do NOT start bashing or posting troubles with your existing gear UNLESS it is directly related to a "Brand" posted in this thread.
* Some of these BMS are used in Commercial Server-Rack/Telecom rack batteries which may be "locked" by the manufacturer, thereby not allowing full config access. The "standalone" BMS' should be "unlocked" providing full access to config options etc. VERIFY THIS with your vendor/supplier Before spending a penny !!!

Lastly, I may once again do a full write up with results etc and more if/when I get to that point. I will NOT however write any more manuals or docs for anyone but may put up a tips & trix sheet for our membership here. For me, it is shaping up to be an extremely busy summer, 2 Arrays, another complete solar system and quite possibly an all-season greenhouse (if that happens, that's yet another array) so much todo and a full job jar.

Have a Great Day Everyone - Spring has Sprung !! well springing anyways ;-)
Be careful with the TDT BMS, i have purchased about 20 units for them and have done extensive testing. When doing a multipack installation, the slave packs start displaying inaccurate SOC after a couple of days; the remaining capacity indicator of the slave battery packs lowers gradually automatically redefining the full capacity rating of the battery; eventually a battery you configured as 280 amps becomes a 200 amp battery; the master battery however continues to function and display correct readings. So you cumilitive soc being displayed by the inverter and in effect guiding your inverter settings become completely innaccurate. How do we know that the SOC readings on the slave batteries are incorrect and a result of poor reading by the shunt; well these batteries voltages are identical to the master battery 1, indicating the actual state of charge of the slaves is similar to the master in reality; and we have done testing where we have pushed these slave packs with innacurate SOC down below 0 confirming that the automatically recalibrated FULL CAPACITY rating of our pack was innacurate and that all our slave batteries were in actuallity at the same state as the master. The manufacturer cannot answer any questions in regards to this, they tell us to discharge to 0 and fully recharge, this gives 0 results, after a couple of days the same thing repeats. Also the cell voltage reading of the BMS on apps is more innacurate in comparison to other brands . This product has tons of potential, but it has not been tested well by the manufacturer and has serious issues with calibration .

Good Day Folks,

Well here we are in April 2023 and things are changing fast post "Covidus Interruptus" and good things are happening ! Prices stabilizing and even going down in some sectors (not food sadly), new bigger, better & more capable products including BMS'.

After converting all of my battery packs in my Bank from Chargery BMS to JKBMS things have been working very well and without issues and their 2A Active Balancing works a treat. Sadly JK shot self in foot with lowering their Quality and not following through on issues and essentially going dark when they should be communicating with people. So I have been keeping a "Lazy Eye" on BMS development and this spring everything is changing for the better.

NOTE: I have NOT tested any of these BMS below yet. I am presently leaning towards the TDT BMS and depending on what my contacts "on the ground" come up with I hope to be testing soon.

BMS' that are worthy of attention for good reason.
PACE BMS is used by Jakiper & Others for their prebuilt battery packs and these have shown good communication & compatibility with Victron etc.
They have the RS232/485 & CanBus (works out of box by default) as well as being linkable together. They have limited 8S Versions but are mostly 16S for 48V battery systems. PACE also produces HVDC BMS's for >48V but that crosses into other areas.
I did locate PACE 16S/100A with all the goodies for $130 USD on Global Sources.
More info on PACE here: http://bms.paceic.com/en/bms/

EVE BMS ! Yes BMS' by EVE Battery Tech co...
EVE has been producing cells of course but also complete battery systems like the popular 48V/100AH Server Racks and a lot more. They use their own BMS of course and they are now also becoming publicly available. They are also quite feature/function filled.
- General Info is only now coming available as they start offering them.
More "basic" info available here(16S/48V/200A): https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/EVE-EBS48-BMS-48V-Lifepo4-Battery_1600753983743.html

TDT BMS another Growing & Expanding company that produces similar BMS' to PACE but their own flavour.
This is not a new company but has moved slowly & cautiously up to their current offerings.
Tradie reviews show these to be quite good with good compatibility as well, at very good price points as well.
Passive Balancing with option for Active Balancing module up to 5A.
MANY options for displays & interface boards etc... (not that common, this is a bonus)
REASONABLY PRICED TOO !
More Info HERE: https://sztdttech.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-903398691/Energy_storage_BMS.html
NOTE: Lots of browsing in the above link.

I am certain there are several others with Advanced Smart BMS' that have PC/Mac Software, Proper Compatible Comms via CANbus and RS with a respectable display (not power hog), and the plug-in interface boards etc...

PLEASE NOTE to Readers / Responders.
Feel free to add BMS Companies that have come out with new Smart & Advanced BMS' and if you actually have them and are using/testing them...
PLEASE do NOT start bashing or posting troubles with your existing gear UNLESS it is directly related to a "Brand" posted in this thread.
* Some of these BMS are used in Commercial Server-Rack/Telecom rack batteries which may be "locked" by the manufacturer, thereby not allowing full config access. The "standalone" BMS' should be "unlocked" providing full access to config options etc. VERIFY THIS with your vendor/supplier Before spending a penny !!!

Lastly, I may once again do a full write up with results etc and more if/when I get to that point. I will NOT however write any more manuals or docs for anyone but may put up a tips & trix sheet for our membership here. For me, it is shaping up to be an extremely busy summer, 2 Arrays, another complete solar system and quite possibly an all-season greenhouse (if that happens, that's yet another array) so much todo and a full job jar.

Have a Great Day Everyone - Spring has Sprung !! well springing anyways ;-)
Sorry,
Because we have received many inquiries about the product,
We have also been adjusting and upgrading our products in the past six months
I have been focusing on upgrading product performance,
Improve the overall after-sales rate of the product. Improve customer experience.
Finally, the complete inverter communication issue was debugged this month,
There is also the issue of parallel current limiting,
We finally solved it

When you listed JK BMS's:

"currently there are 3 versions around, 2 of which are older, one is current.
10c - canbus inverter comms only - older
10d - rs485 inverter comms only - older

10e - newest and current both rs485 and canbus.
can communicate directly with both 10c and 10d, however, not both at the same time.

10c also has a bluetooth option and app

the difference in hardware is also the reason 2 older versions cant communicate to each other"

I think you were talking about firmware only?

I have (3) JK-B2A24S15P units which I got on 'special' when I ordered my batteries. They work pretty well, though oddly they sometimes say Discharge is 0.0 while I know the batteries are discharging (reading 'em with a DC current meter at 35A).

I am successfully communicating with my (3) JK BMS's with Bluetooth. I'd like to set up longer range communications with them.

My question is: do my JK BMS's support CAN? rs485?

Stewart pittaway's diybms is starting to become extraordinary interesting..

Communications
Shunt
Passive balancer, with heltec 10a balancer steering support

Just about all features you would want as opensource code and hardware design.
Only downside: soldering...

Shame

Stewart pittaway's diybms is starting to become extraordinary interesting..

Communications
Shunt
Passive balancer, with heltec 10a balancer steering support

Just about all features you would want as opensource code and hardware design.
Only downside: soldering...

Shame
got a link?

Maybe this one:
community.openenergymonitor.org/t/diybms-v4

And finally a new version of the JKBMS with features of the "industrial" grade BMSs - includes active balancing and firmware upgradeable and inverter comms. Be interesting to see if any bugs in the first release version. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006014535487.htm (pre-order)
That link has disappeared. Maybe JK pulled it? Was there a model number, so I can search for it in the future?

Very impressive unit. Big like Pace, Seplos, TDT, etc. Since it has upgradable firmware, it is very tempting to pre-order. If the firmware upgrading process actually works. Likely that there will be some bugs in the first versions, but then with firmware upgrades these can be fixed.

Very impressive unit. Big like Pace, Seplos, TDT, etc. Since it has upgradable firmware, it is very tempting to pre-order. If the firmware upgrading process actually works. Likely that there will be some bugs in the first versions, but then with firmware upgrades these can be fixed.

watching this. with built in active balancing and UPGRADE YES presumably meaning "firmware update process is supported" it is quite interesting as an alternative to my current BMS which only has passive balancing.

Back