diy solar

diy solar

Help with 128 batteries each one is 280ah, and want to configure for 48v system.

That is decently quick, I put in two orders with two different suppliers. As I wanted to do a full logging test to see how they performed. My second shipment is schedule to hit the port on August the 11th. Found out that eve released new cells just slightly larger that are rated for 6000 cycles.
Thanks for sharing. I just placed another order last night, and found that Lishen 280ah are available again for $95 each from that supplier. Shipping is going up though. Around $275 per 8 cells.

Thanks for sharing. I just placed another order last night, and found that Lishen 280ah are available again for $95 each from that supplier. Shipping is going up though. Around $275 per 8 cells.
That is a very good price much less than the eve prices I have paid for the last two orders. Are the comparable to eve, same dimensions, cycles?

Update found this:

They look nice the price is substantially lower as well.

Last edited:
That is decently quick, I put in two orders with two different suppliers. As I wanted to do a full logging test to see how they performed. My second shipment is schedule to hit the port on August the 11th. Found out that eve released new cells just slightly larger that are rated for 6000 cycles.
Yeah, I saw an ad on Alibaba that advertise 6000 cycles @ 320 ah & 420 ah. Didn’t really trust that was true...but maybe?
Of course, just as my 280/300 ah cells arrive.

PS: I did a capacity test on one cell so far as a test...314 ah. But that’s just one cell so far. Just to see what I actually got.

Yeah, I saw an ad on Alibaba that advertise 6000 cycles @ 320 ah & 420 ah. Didn’t really trust that was true...but maybe?

PS: I did a capacity test on one cell so far as a test...314 ah. But that’s just one cell so far. Just to see what I actually got.
Which brand cell was that on?

I do not trust the the high capacity advertisements. I had to get many friends to realize the danger in the 18650 market. Many are way over rated including capacities. On the flashlight forum we have a whole thread of severe injuries from 18650 batteries. But if your getting 314ah then that is great I hope my second order would be in those ranges.

Well there was no tracking information on my batteries at first because they were shipped by sea of course. No way to track by sea I’m told....
I was given a FedEx tracking number eventually. Even though the FedEx number did work, it said that label was created. When I reached out to follow up on my batteries and when they might arrive, I was then given a UPS tracking number. The UPS tracking number said the same thing, a label has been created but that was all the information there.
After weeks of constantly checking the UPS tracking number, it finally did tell me that my batteries were picked up by UPS and we’re on the way. It took my battery’s almost 3 months to get here. I have read threads on this site, people say their battery just showed up one day.
It seems different people have different experiences depending on which company you order from. I used Exliporc.
I think mine is worse, they didn't UPS/FedEx or any delivery service with tracking. April Cao from Deligreen just contact her in 2 months. Yikes...

Just wanted to give an update and reach out with a question for anyone with Batrium BMS experience. I have ordered 64 LiFePo4 batteries (4p16s) and I am expecting them in the next couple of weeks. I ordered the Batrium Watchmon Core and 16 Blockmons M8’s and the Batrium arrived today.
I already know that based on my desired layout and battery spacing that I will have to lengthen some of the Blockmons M8 cabling. Just curious for those of you with Batrium experience, if you had to lengthen you’re Blockmon cables? If so, what your suggestions or recommendations would be based on your experience?
@Shawn Hayes, just curious. How did you decide blackmons vs the K9's?

@Shawn Hayes, just curious. How did you decide blackmons vs the K9's?
At first, I thought the Blockmons were active balancer but they are not, they’re passive. But beyond that, the K-9 is still new and Batrium told me they didn’t know yet what the passive/active balancer part of K-9 was yet? K-9 was still on back order at that time.
I’ve also seen people do similar (4p16s) setups with great success with Blockmons so I decided on those. I’m doing a 4p16s so I only needed one Blockmon per 4p. Saved a little money, at this time....Down the road when the K-9 is proven I can always update. Technology changes so fast, who know what’s the next best thing.
Blockmons are also easier to setup, so that’s a side benefit.

FYI - K9s balance current is a fraction of what a cell-mon (like M8s) have, 500ma vs up to 2a I believe. So depending on your cell size (ah) you would want to take that into consideration if that feature is important to you.

Just wanted to give an update and reach out with a question for anyone with Batrium BMS experience. I have ordered 64 LiFePo4 batteries (4p16s) and I am expecting them in the next couple of weeks. I ordered the Batrium Watchmon Core and 16 Blockmons M8’s and the Batrium arrived today.
I already know that based on my desired layout and battery spacing that I will have to lengthen some of the Blockmons M8 cabling. Just curious for those of you with Batrium experience, if you had to lengthen you’re Blockmon cables? If so, what your suggestions or recommendations would be based on your experience?
I had to lengthen. I used twisted pair and those low temp solder wire connectors, like:

works fine so far.

I shut everything down and waited till they were all even via the batrium. I changed the settings so the charge would be minimal. Once it restarted number jump up .32 over the rest in just a few minutes. This has me stumped on why this behavior has started after running for 4 days.
It is possible that you have a bad blockmon. I had a blockmon that would flash 0 or some low voltage number like 2.23 volts intermittently during balancing. It was long enough that I was getting low cell volt cutout during absorb. Voltmeter verified the cell voltage was normal. I took the connections apart, cleaned, etc. It still did it. I replaced the blockmon and no problems so far.

Lengthen M-8?
Twisted pair, like cat 5/6 Ethernet cable?
Thank for the connection link. That will come in handy. I may need to lengthen my M-8’s. I’m still in the process of balancing/testing etc.
I had to add length to the communication cable between blockmons. I have multiple strings so I had to lengthen from the M8 at the most positive side of string #1 to the m8 at the most negative side of string #2. And then from most positive m8 on string #2 back to the cmu. I just made my own twisted pair, but you could use cat 5/6. There is a mention of extending cable length at https://support.batrium.com/article/58-how-do-i-connect-blockmons-battery-pack-chain

It would be nice if Batrium would provide patch cables for this. I think it's common.

My heltec balancer did not suvive the triangle, but the second one out for delivery so hopefully will get it today.

Attachments

• heltec.png
    heltec.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 4
At first, I thought the Blockmons were active balancer but they are not, they’re passive. But beyond that, the K-9 is still new and Batrium told me they didn’t know yet what the passive/active balancer part of K-9 was yet? K-9 was still on back order at that time.
I’ve also seen people do similar (4p16s) setups with great success with Blockmons so I decided on those. I’m doing a 4p16s so I only needed one Blockmon per 4p. Saved a little money, at this time....Down the road when the K-9 is proven I can always update. Technology changes so fast, who know what’s the next best thing.
Blockmons are also easier to setup, so that’s a side benefit.
I was going to buy the K9 will opt for the blackmon's too. My reasons are each mon will have temperature sensor vs 4, and it seems it has higher balancing amps.

I was going to buy the K9 will opt for the blackmon's too. My reasons are each mon will have temperature sensor vs 4, and it seems it has higher balancing amps.
Yeah when you select Watchmon Core & select Blockmons M-8 in the cell monitor pull down tab, in the “overview” it says:
“With distributed cell monitors capable of 28 Ah/day balancing adjustment for each cell”

So that was a big selling point to me as well.

Well after 3 days 14 started to diverge a little today this only occurs when the battery state hits 53.73 target was 53.80. The heltec certainly helped as it did not run like before but I hate not understanding why this happens. All other batteries were near even 3.336/3.337, 14 was at 3.42. I pulled the busbars and put all batteries in parrel 15, 16, 13 and put a charger on them. They quickly went up to 3.388 and appeared to stop I did not leave on after it stopped. Put the charge on 14 and it continued to climb quickly past 3.476 then I stopped it. 14 charged up how I remember they would when top balancing so I wonder why the others tested appeared to stop at 3.388? For data the heltec was showing 1.52 amps for 14 and was not hot at all.

They discharge together and come up together if the charge is kept to 53.60 - 53.65.

Back