diy solar

diy solar

Help with selecting a Hybrid Charge Controller

WillAK

I need a new Charge Controller, the 40A one I have now is not big enough for my 2000w panels and 24v bank.

I've been looking at hybrid controllers, but I'm hoping for some recommendations please!

I've seen one which is 80a max 450V - but that has only caused me to ask more questions.

I need to put my panels into Series because of shade issues. Each panel is 500w 45v so essentially I need a charge controller with a max voltage of at least 200v, so then that means I only need it to be 15amps right??

Is there any charge controllers low amp high voltage?

If not, could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me which one I need to be looking for! :cry:

I need a new Charge Controller, the 40A one I have now is not big enough for my 2000w panels and 24v bank.

I've been looking at hybrid controllers, but I'm hoping for some recommendations please!

I've seen one which is 80a max 450V - but that has only caused me to ask more questions.

I need to put my panels into Series because of shade issues. Each panel is 500w 45v so essentially I need a charge controller with a max voltage of at least 200v, so then that means I only need it to be 15amps right??

Is there any charge controllers low amp high voltage?

If not, could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me which one I need to be looking for! :cry:

MPPT are rated in OUTPUT amps, not input, though they may have a separate input current limit.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "hybrid charge controller."

You may be referring to an All-in-one (AiO) unit where the MPPT and inverter/charger are in the same box.

2000W / 24V = 83A, so an 80A MPPT is about right as you'll typically be charging above 27V or 2000W/27V = 74A.

MPPT are rated in OUTPUT amps, not input, though they may have a separate input current limit.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "hybrid charge controller."

You may be referring to an All-in-one (AiO) unit where the MPPT and inverter/charger are in the same box.

2000W / 24V = 83A, so an 80A MPPT is about right as you'll typically be charging above 27V or 2000W/27V = 74A.

Yes of course, I made a couple of mistakes there! I was too busy thinking about the input amps and ignored the output.

And yes I mean all in one, or hybrid inverter.

So the minimum I need would be 80a, and high enough voltage for the 4x 38.35 VMP from the panels = 153V.

So i need an AiO unit 80a and minimum 150v.

Thanks, third mistake I made on my post. It should have said Parallel.

Something to watch out for with the > 150V MPPT - they often have an input current limit that will inhibit parallel strings.

IMHO, it sounds like you need any AiO with an 80A MPPT capable of 145V or more for your array in either 2S2P or 4P.

That's the best option for your panels and shade issues.

Where about are you located? What's the coldest it's been there?

Solar panel output voltage increases when it's cold, so you can't just take VOC on the panel and run right at hat limit. Without knowing your location/temps or exact panel specs (post both if you can) the standard is to have 10-15% cushion above VOC to allow room for temperature compensation.

That would be a 200 volt charge controller.

In that case, give your inverter requirements. Continuous watts and motor-starting surge.

With your relatively small 2000W PV array, no-load power consumption of inverter will be important. 2000W (STC) might be 1500W actual, 2 hours effective sun in winter is 3000 Wh/day. The wrong inverter could consume 100W continuously, 2400 Wh/day, leaving only 600 Wh for loads.

It may be cheaper to add more panels than to get extremely low consumption inverter, but you have to make that call.

In that case, give your inverter requirements. Continuous watts and motor-starting surge.

With your relatively small 2000W PV array, no-load power consumption of inverter will be important. 2000W (STC) might be 1500W actual, 2 hours effective sun in winter is 3000 Wh/day. The wrong inverter could consume 100W continuously, 2400 Wh/day, leaving only 600 Wh for loads.

It may be cheaper to add more panels than to get extremely low consumption inverter, but you have to make that call.

I have it connected 24/7 to two freezers which pull 100w continuously but have starting surge which i'm unsure of.

I also use it to boil a kettle and power a small 2000w oven.

I am in Southern Spain so these 2000w right now in November put in 5kwh per day.

Refrigerators and freezers don't have a large surge. They may have an 800W defrost element.
If they operate on 100W motor, probably about 500W surge.

You'll have to decide if you want kettle and oven both on at same time, or not.
We in the US typically have 1800W max kettles etc. plugged into 120V outlets, higher wattage 240V built-in appliances.

How much does your kettle draw?

I'd like to disable defrost cycle at night, and while powering other heating loads. That takes a hack inside the unit.

Determine how many watts of heating devices you will operate simultaneously, and that sets your inverter requirement.

5kWh now, sounds like my 3kWh in the depths of winter estimate was close. Of course, there can be days without sun. You have to decide how long to operate off battery alone. A backup butane burner is probably the way to go. And a manual switch to disable defrost cycle (most refrigerators I see have a mechanical 12 hour clock that switches between defroster and compressor, so opening heater circuit is easy.)

All in one is convenient, but a two-component inverter + charger setup might better right-size things to your needs.

What is max charging current of your battery?
An AIO should have settable charge current, allows more PV production if used by inverter. This is available with some but not all separate charge controllers (requires battery shunt.)

I recently purchased this 24 volt model. Seems to be working quite well.

Back