diy solar

diy solar

Help with which solar generator to purchase. We live in British Columbia, in a snow belt. Lose power on occasion. want a good solor generator

posskat

Hope this is the right place to ask for help. I work a lot on our property and don't have a lot of free time to do research on solar generators. Just looking for the best quality, reasonably priced that can handle our couple freezers, fridge, internet when we have power outages. we are a ways from town, have 2 gas generators, but hoping to find a good solar one, so we don't have to rely on gas. I just want something easy, not too heavy to move around; thought the Jackery 1500 would be ideal, but after listening to Will, I have second thoughts....want something to last long, and to be honest, I don't really know what questions to ask other than good recommendations if possible. I liked the 33 lbs of the jackery, but i can lift a bit more if there's an excellent choice out there that is gonna last the long haul. thanks in advance

How would you want to deal with the solar panels to charge the generator, or will you just use the stored energy and switch to gas if you need more?

I would guess you need about 3.5-4kWh of battery per day for your stated needs, but it could be 5kWh. A hand-truck mounted system might fit your needs well at that size. Self-supporting with solar would need ~2.5kW of panels, about 8 large units.

I think we could use a couple of solar panels, but I really don't want anything too big, and we truly do not have room for more than a couple of smaller ones...not sure if that can charge enough of anything? Really liked the size of the Jackery 1500, don't want anything too much bigger, but sometimes the power is out for a couple or 3 days at least in the last couple years, it happens 2-3x/year
Even tho we have 160 acres and a small log home, it's very hilly, and we have little storage area right now.

you mentioned snow belt. I'd get a gas generator, likely your cloudy and snowy in the winter so once the batteries are drained your out of luck.

just my 2 cents

I started dabbling with solar for the house back in March of this year, experimenting with how much of the essentials I could run on solar with battery storage. After seeing the review by Hobotech of the Pecron S1500F earlier in the year, I bought one and have used it daily to power a full-size refrigerator and our internet equipment., while being charged with 600 watts of panels (six 100-watt Thunderbolt monocrystalline from Harbor Freight). Since it's lithium ion, it only weighs 27 lbs and I intended to use it for both house and camper. Since then, they came out with the E2000LFP which is expandable to 8 kWh of storage, by way of two EB3000 battery attachments, when those become available. I'm testing out the E2000LFP now. This unit weighs 48 lbs. I've been impressed with the quality and performance of this brand so far. My house is at 36 degrees north latitude so the daily sun situation is a bit different.

Really liked the size of the Jackery 1500
It’s not going to do that much. Small size means small power.
sometimes the power is out for a couple or 3 days at least in the last couple years, it happens 2-3x/year
You are enamored with the zackery which is holding you back from getting an economical backup design that will work for your stated goals. End that relationship and start a new relationship with a solution that will meet your needs

I think we could use a couple of solar panels, but I really don't want anything too big, and we truly do not have room for more than a couple of smaller ones...not sure if that can charge enough of anything? Really liked the size of the Jackery 1500, don't want anything too much bigger, but sometimes the power is out for a couple or 3 days at least in the last couple years, it happens 2-3x/year
Even tho we have 160 acres and a small log home, it's very hilly, and we have little storage area right now.
Is solar power in your budget right now, or is that a big lift?

The Jackery would let you just run the generator for a few hours twice a day and keep everything running. If that is good enough, go for it. Or, go for two smaller units and charge them at the same time from the generator.

Hope this is the right place to ask for help. I work a lot on our property and don't have a lot of free time to do research on solar generators. Just looking for the best quality, reasonably priced that can handle our couple freezers, fridge, internet when we have power outages. we are a ways from town, have 2 gas generators, but hoping to find a good solar one, so we don't have to rely on gas. I just want something easy, not too heavy to move around; thought the Jackery 1500 would be ideal, but after listening to Will, I have second thoughts....want something to last long, and to be honest, I don't really know what questions to ask other than good recommendations if possible. I liked the 33 lbs of the jackery, but i can lift a bit more if there's an excellent choice out there that is gonna last the long haul. thanks in advance
Realistically you are going to need a lot to sustain the loads you described,

Costco sells this around $3K frequently with panels...

But likely you would need to run the generator if power is out more than a day...

If you want to run the loads on a tighter budget, think about building g your own with a set of lfp batteries and an all in one inverter charge controller like a growatt 2420 etc...

you mentioned snow belt. I'd get a gas generator, likely your cloudy and snowy in the winter so once the batteries are drained your out of luck.

just my 2 cents
we have 2 gas generators, just wanted something for back up if we end up w/no fuel in this crazy time...and fewer power cords running thru the house...

will check out the suggestions, thanks very much!
Do look into the hand-truck concept. It can go a lot further for you than anything else and at the same time be more manageable. Personally, I am considering a 3kW/10kWh version for my needs.

if we end up w/no fuel
I am saying you can have twice the powers of zackery for the money if you do a dolly or even just components in a closet.
$3000 might not yield a 100% up-time system for your stated loads but it should give you a lot; batteries are the expensive part unfortunately and batteries are your biggest need for your goals, but it will get you going and be scalable.

Back