diy solar

diy solar

Help with wire for 18kpv

Packen

I am installing my 18kpv (upgrading from 2 6500s), what should I use for the service wire from the meter to the inverter and then from the inverter to the 200amp panel? I have 4/0 aluminum but was wondering if there was something else a little easier to work with. This stuff is hard to maneuver around the corners in my conduit.

Using DLO or Welding cable in place of building wire is kind of a murky area of the code and somewhat dependent on the local AHJ. Some DLO cable may have dual ratings on the insulation from what I've read.

From a practical view point a 3/0 copper, fine strand cable would most likely solve your problem but then the mechanical lug may not be rated for that type of cable. If it was at my house, I would be comfortable giving it a try but would make sure to re-torque the mechanical lugs a few times over a 24 hr period then periodically to verify they are not getting loose or creating heat.

4/0 aluminum is the recommended service feeder.
3/0 copper would also work, but it is MUCH harder to feed.
You could also run a pair of 2/0Al but I wouldnt...
If you order some 600V rated multistrand 3/0 copper it may work easier, but cost a lot more.

I am installing my 18kpv (upgrading from 2 6500s), what should I use for the service wire from the meter to the inverter and then from the inverter to the 200amp panel? I have 4/0 aluminum but was wondering if there was something else a little easier to work with. This stuff is hard to maneuver around the corners in my conduit.
What size conduit and how many 90s do you have?

Are you trying to run SER in conduit?

Are you trying to run 1 wire at a time or a twisted bundle?

4/0 aluminum is pretty flexible especially 1 at a time.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got some 4/0 aluminum left over from when I built the house so I will use that. I was just hoping there might be an easier way. I don’t have to go far but there is lots of 90s. I will try one wire at a time and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got some 4/0 aluminum left over from when I built the house so I will use that. I was just hoping there might be an easier way. I don’t have to go far but there is lots of 90s. I will try one wire at a time and see how that goes.
Yeah, 90's are a pain to feed.
It would make it easier if you went 2.5" conduit

Back