diy solar

diy solar

Heltec 8S

Tyler702

Desert dweller, quiet prepper
I just received this one today. Forgive me, but I can't seem to find it, but there was a post awhile back about "pre-charging" this unit before attaching it. I'm confident with attaching it to the posts..It piggy backs right on the same posts as the bms, but is there a proper procedure? I'm remembering a post about someone popping a cap upon initial install. The manual doesn't address this, and I don't want to fry the thing. Start w black negative, and move one 1 by 1 to red positive? I guess it's the pre-charge thing that has me worried. What would be my best practice here?

Attachments

• 20210826_202950.jpg
    20210826_202950.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 2
charge with a very low amperage to 3.5v a cell wait until delta v =0.005 then charge to 3.6 a cell wait until delta v = 0.005 en then remove it it.
you can use your bench power supply to charge
it will gives you more trouble then doing good. it is nice to have if you balance your cells once a year.
just plug in the white plug it will give a spark don't worry

Not sure I'm understanding this reply. I'm just trying to attach this heltec to an existing 8S pack in the proper order. And do I need to pre-charge anything prior to. Or just slip the leads onto the same posts as my BMS.

you can slip the leads on the same posts as the bms no you don't need to pre charge it.
and it will give a spark when connecting don't worry.
but watch Wills video on balancers and from that bolt German/ Australian guy need to agree with them, seen the same thing in my packs.
this is how i have connected them

Attachments

• 20210826_172424.jpg
    20210826_172424.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 11
As above, connect the balancer leads to the cells in the proper order of course & BE Certain ! Then plug the Balancer harness into the Balancer. I saw a person POP a cap because the harness was plugged in to the balancer when connecting to cells and got the wrong cell. I Miss-wired one on a QNBBM and Poofad went $144, tired, rushing and feeling cocky when I should know better as I have been electrically tinkering for 45+ years.

Thanks Steve. Proper order being main black neg wire first, then 1 by one, on up to main red positive? Then plug the harness into the balance board. I expect I'll get a spark when plugging in the harness? Likely at the board/harness pins? Any concern there? Those pins are awfully small. I'd hate to permanently scortch them.

Yes, there will be a little spark but nothing nuts. Just push the connector in and don't doddle when it sparks. ;-)

Haha!! Don't doddle! Just shove it in, and pay no mind to the spark! I was afraid that was going to be the answer! My luck, my phone will probably ring right when I plug it in, and send me right off my chair! True story, that happened to me last week, seconds before hooking up the inverter on my milk crate build, wire in hand, ready for the spark....phone rings!! Scared the crap outta me!! *note to self, silence your phone before any precharge*..lol..

Back